The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I've done drive-thru on a moto before.

Trying to bring home a drink is just dumb - forget it. Ride up, place your order, proceed to first window - pay with debit card stashed in your pocket or tank bag. Get food, put in tank or saddle bag, ride home, drink beer. Ta-da!

Trying to bring home a drink is just dumb - forget it. Ride up, place your order, proceed to first window - pay with debit card stashed in your pocket or tank bag. Get food, put in tank or saddle bag, ride home, drink beer. Ta-da!

Yea, the hard part for me is actually getting noticed on their little sensor/camera thing. I waited for like 10 minutes before a car came, and tripped it.
I have seen cupholders that mount on handlebars for cruisers, and on gas tank caps for sportbikes. But I just either drink what have at home or go and buy a bottled drink at another store.

A friend of mine managed to get a 30 pack home on his Triumph Bonneville; he just set it between the tank and his chest, balanced it with his elbows. Looked real classy. :lol:

Wear 3/4 length jacket, stick drink in large bottom pocket. Make sure the top is properly fastened. Problem solved.

A friend of mine managed to get a 30 pack home on his Triumph Bonneville; he just set it between the tank and his chest, balanced it with his elbows. Looked real classy. :lol:

I've done that before, clutching my purchases to my chest as I ride - burritos, spray paint, a bag of lettuce. Never beer, though, I'd never risk something as valuable as that. :unsure:

:lol: Pretty sure it was just Coors, so nothing of value would've been lost. I was actually following him in my truck, I just wanted to see if he could get the case home.

I've been thinking about replacing the BMW with an XT660, and pretty high on my list of mods for it is installing the rev counter it lacks as stock.

Anyone more knowledgeable about this subject here? So far I'd have my eyes on a Koso DL02-R, any good? Also, I'm not that electrically inclined, but it doesn't seem like such a difficult task, or am I wrong?

I prefer the Trailtech Vapor line of instruments for replacing/supplementing what you have. Seem to be easy to hook up and get working properly. Only costs a little more than just that Koso tach, and it does so much more.

"So much more" seems like too much for my needs already. I don't want to replace the original dash, I'm just looking for a simple rev counter I could add to it, preferably with a bar display.
In fact I think the Koso is a bit too pricey for what I need, I only picked it out since it seemed like the best I could find when browsing a shop.

Question for the motorbike people:
My friend is a weeny. She is rather skidish to driving more than 30 mph and can't really afford a vehicle/insurance.
She however, has to go across town (multiple miles) for things which is rather annoying when you have no public transport in your town.
I was thinking she should get a moped, MA scooter rules say it has to be 30 mph or slower. A quick look gives me everything having 35 mph or more, what DOES go slow enough for her not to have to pay insurance and registration? I mean she won't even go over 25 in my car with crumple zones having one that goes faster than a moped would just be silly.

A Honda QA50 moped is limited to go less than 30. (Provided that it's the moped version - there was a non-moped version.)

Also, if she's that much of a weenie, go look up a Honda Gyro. Those won't go faster than 30 and they won't tip over.

Last edited:
These seem to be hard to find, probably because they are old :(
Nearest QA50 seems to be ohio, the only other of those is in texas. I can't find any gyros for sale that are not marked "sold" already.

Nobody said it would be easy. The moped basically died out as a viable sales category in the US in the early 90s.

Yeah it's unsuitable for most places but she lives in a traffic jam tourist trap of a town so it is one of the few places that it would be a good idea :(

Many states offer a tiered licensing system - at least an "M1" (all motorcycles) and and "M2" (limited by displacement - usually covers most scooters). Being limited to 30 MPH is fine in theory until you need to jam your way out of a tight spot and can't. Have her get an M2 license and pick up a little 50cc scooter. It will cost more, but she can buy insurance to cover herself if she gets injured. If she is hit by an underinsured or uninsured driver while riding that moped she may be on the hook to pay her own medical bills.

That is very dependent on how expensive the insurance is. As far as her getting hit by a car, she would be hit by a car anyway as the other option is walking and there are many places lacking sidewalks in that area.

Question for the motorbike people:
My friend is a weeny. She is rather skidish to driving more than 30 mph and can't really afford a vehicle/insurance.
She however, has to go across town (multiple miles) for things which is rather annoying when you have no public transport in your town.
I was thinking she should get a moped, MA scooter rules say it has to be 30 mph or slower. A quick look gives me everything having 35 mph or more, what DOES go slow enough for her not to have to pay insurance and registration? I mean she won't even go over 25 in my car with crumple zones having one that goes faster than a moped would just be silly.

Ok just to clear this up, anything 50cc and under with an automatic gearbox. With that you can go to the local RMV, ask for a moped sticker (like $40) which is good for one year. With this you can operate a moped which conforms to said standards, as long as you stay in the bike lane (except to turn left) don't exceed 25 mph, and wear a DOT helmet and eye protection (common sense)
I think the source of the confusion here, is that the Mass RMV recently tried to make certain 50cc scooters, ones that were faster, pay more, and require insurance, etc. The problem? The RMV was too stupid to figure out which ones were capable of such speeds.

That is very dependent on how expensive the insurance is. As far as her getting hit by a car, she would be hit by a car anyway as the other option is walking and there are many places lacking sidewalks in that area.

Motorcycle insurance can be stupid cheap per year.

I'm stuck with an awful chinese 50cc scooter for now which is restricted to 45kmh by very low gearing. Acceleration from a standing start is very good. it can leave most cars behind at the lights when they are accelerating normally, but they catch up quickly. Lots of fun can be had by throwing it into (small) corners at stupid speeds :mrgreen:.

What I need is a gear kit like this. But I don't know where I could get gears which could fit mine.

I had a look under the transmission cover and found how it works very interesting[/may], so I made a video of it.

you don't need to buy anything. as you can clearly see in the vid, the belt only climbs to halfway the pulley. they placed a ring in between the 2 discs to prevent them from closing completely. if you take it out, the belt will climb furter and speed will be gained without losing any acceleration...

when you take it off, you'll find behind the disc closest to the engine (6?) round weights that due to centrifugal force are thrown out, closing the discs. the weight of these together with the force of the spring at the back, determines for a great deal how the engine will react.

BTW: you can't just change the final drive gear ratio on a scooter, the only thing you can do, is replace it with straight cut gearing, but then you'll end up with a terrible whine

Last edited: