The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

It was one possible explanation, another could be that they were unsure of whether to exit or not, the driver braked and then noticed the bike, they all turned round to see.

Not saying what she did was not dumb, but technically you should have enough distance so that it won't be a problem, and like I've said before , I ride like everyone is out to kill me so something like doesn't phase me. Riding through Tokyo is a bit different, really sharpens your reflexes.

I find driving like that is a good idea too, the amount of people out there who don't pay any attention (or are just plain stupid) is scary. Braking in that situation was completely unnecessary anyway, I'm guessing she got confused by the junction somehow...

Gotta' say, that was a stupid move. Besides driving 101 dictates that when you plan to do something you check your mirror first, make it a habit, not exactly rocket science.

Yeah, even minor stupidity is why I ride by 2 rules.

1. Everyone is out to kill me.
2. What is behind me is not important.

Think about modifying Rule 2:

Last edited:
Yeah, even minor stupidity is why I ride by 2 rules.

1. Everyone is out to kill me.

That?s why I always rode thinking that:
1. Everyone wants to steal my motorcycle. (Sadly, a very common thing, at least here)
2. Every other driver wants to run me over.
3. Looking in all directions at all times would be nice.

*nod* I've been in a few collisions in my car where watching behind me would have allowed me to prevent the collision. One of them caused $11,000 in damage to my car (a lowly Miata!). I don't want to know what that would have done had I been on a bike. While the crash was 100% the other driver's fault, I could have prevented it had I been watching behind me just a bit more closely.

You need to get that cable checked. It could just be in need of lube but it could also be frayed. If you think riding with it is fun, try riding without it.
Last fall I dropped my VFR on some gravel. Picked it up, bike didn't look any worse, so I hopped on and pulled the clutch ... and the lever promptly snapped off. Had to ride it a few miles home like that. It was almost fun. :lol:

I think you misunderstand my interpretation of it. It isn't never check your mirrors, because that would be stupid. It is more like the safest place is away from any idiots, which often means out in front of them. If I am first in line at the traffic lights, I'll give it a bit more to be ahead of the traffic so there is less chance they will change lanes into me and generally do stuff which will result in becoming well acquainted with the pavement.

I think you misunderstand my interpretation of it. It isn't never check your mirrors, because that would be stupid. It is more like the safest place is away from any idiots, which often means out in front of them. If I am first in line at the traffic lights, I'll give it a bit more to be ahead of the traffic so there is less chance they will change lanes into me and generally do stuff which will result in becoming well acquainted with the pavement.
You have to admit, this is rather different from:

However, having the idiot behind you doesn't always help / isn't always wise. See: the idiot who rearended me.

You have to admit, this is rather different from:

However, having the idiot behind you doesn't always help / isn't always wise. See: the idiot who rearended me.

I should have said guideline, not rule. :p

Anyways, 9 times out of 10, I'd much rather have the idiots/traffic in my mirrors that next to me or in front of me.

I was rear-ended at a red light once back in 2000. I was knocked off of the bike, though I somehow saved it from hitting the ground. The woman told me "What? I do that to my ex-husband all the time." I then almost got in trouble with the police for leaving the scene of an accident when I drove over to the police station to report her. Unfortunately for me, they knew her and only had us exchange insurance information.

Anyways, 9 times out of 10, I'd much rather have the idiots/traffic in my mirrors that next to me or in front of me.
I know what you mean. When I pass some inattentive driver on the highway, going 10-15mph faster than they are, they may as well cease to exist. Sure I still check my mirrors, but mostly I'm just looking ahead for the next obstacle. I absolutely hate riding next to another car. I don't want to take a hit like Blind did.

Mr.Nice said:
Unfortunately for me, they knew her and only had us exchange insurance information.
Do you live in Kansas City or am I thinking of someone else? That sounds like something that would happen in Johnson County.

Last edited:
Do you live in Kansas City or am I thinking of someone else? That sounds like something that would happen in Johnson County.

I lived in Pennsylvania when that happened. Small town, maybe 10,000 people. The entire county had maybe 45,000.

I prefer to keep them in front of me where I can keep an eye on them. That way I get to control how close I get, not them.

Blind, the article you posted on the VFR is making me consider getting one myself...what's the difference between these two? There's a lot of examples of the bottom one on eBay, but none of the other ones.

Black_and_White_with_color_VFR_screensaver.jpg

vfr800.jpg

(I just wanted an excuse to post some pictures of VFRs.)

Last edited:
Short version: The top one doesn't have VTEC, has a single exhaust can, and different body work. The yellow is a 5th gen while the red is a 6th gen.

I'm on my mobile so I will go into more detail when I get to a computer.

Short answer: the top one is the one I own, the one I prefer and the one in the article. I'll talk about why later.

Also, 2000 was the only year that they released the 5th Gen in Yellow. Dave and I were on a ride once, and we both pulled over at exactly the same time. There were 2 other yellow viffers on the side of the road. :D

Ideally I'd like a bike built within the last 10 years and slightly newer, because I've always wondered what it's like to own something that I don't have to fiddle with myself. (After all, I've already got a bike for that.)

Doing a bit more research...the 6th gen is beautiful, especially in grey, of which there seem to be a lot of. I'm willing to travel a bit this summer to pick up the bike. From what I understand adjusting the valves on VTEC is fussy and expensive, though many people have gone 60k+ miles without touching them.

Any other sport touring bikes I should take a look at, ideally for under $5k? Mind you, this would probably replace my need for a car, and I want to be able to drop everything and go on a cross-country trip at a moment's notice.

Last edited:
The VFR is a great bike, makes a great noise and it's comfortable. The Hayabusa is surprisingly comfortable and will do 80mph in first gear. The Hayabusa is slightly heavy and it doesn't handle like a small lightweight sportbike, it also almost always gets less than 40mpg. Most people don't think of the 'busa as a sport touring bike, but it is very comfortable, has decent range and they make beetle bags for them.

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/gsxr1300bags.shtml

Edit: I didn't take into account that you are less than 25 and your insurance cost for a Hayabusa would likely send you into bankruptcy. I will leave it stand as my recommendation. You can find the right one for not a lot of money, but it's not easy to locate one that someone hasn't modified or put down.

Last edited: