The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

What happened to your Pacific Coast? I have always wanted one of those.

Good stuff, I look forward too some longer term reviews. Glad you didn't zip tie it on too; that's what I would've done. :lol: No really, I spent nearly an hour cleaning up my chain, sprockets and swing arm last weekend ... then I rode over 500 miles this weekend (even going through Joplin holy fuck, MO) and now they're getting funky again. Something that kept it all clean would be real nice.

Oh, you're going to get sling, but that's what keeps flushing the dirt and crap out of the chain. On the other hand, oil sling is easy to remove (5 minutes a day at most) and that sticky chain crud that you normally get isn't.

Ha, I know it's not for you guys. But I haven't even fired a gun (other than skeet shooting) since deer season ended here in December. So shooting in self-defense isn't something that ever really crosses my mind. Being reminded of shit like that though, damn. I'll be thinking on it.

Practice drawing and shooting left-handed while firing cross body. :p

What happened to your Pacific Coast? I have always wanted one of those.

Short version:Too many projects, too little space. Something had to go and it was the PC.

Long version: Got that great deal on the 919, didn't have room for all three (of which two would be projects) and I found myself with too little enthusiasm for the PC800's needed work, which involved carefully unbolting the heads then not disturbing the headgaskets to replace the badly leaking cam cover seals.

Also, the PC is not a fuel injected bike and the 919 is - what with the ethanol and the steadily worsening EPA mandated gas mixes, fuel injection keeps looking better and better (especially with how much my 700 does not like it and people with PCs are reporting problems with ethanol laced gas to the tune of having to dump half a can of Seafoam in every few tanks worth just to keep the carbs cleared.
The 919 was going to be a much faster build and with the available hard bags could do most of what the PC800 could in terms of hauling crap. On top of all that, 919 parts are readily and swiftly available and the PC800's starting to have availability problems where any damage would take it out of service for an extended period.
Next, fuel economy - the 919 can match the PC's fuel economy with gearing changes and the proper driving style.
Finally, tires - something I can go through quickly with the miles I use. There are exactly two options for the odd size wheels on the PC800, Dunlop K555s or Metzlers. Both are special order only at most dealers and shops. The 919? Uses the standard 17" sportbike/touring fitments. Basic tire sets are available for the cost of one PC tire - yes, you can get both front and rear tires from Pirelli for the cost of one K555, and they're in stock almost everywhere.

Given all that, it seemed logical to sell the PC.

I'll probably get another PacCoast or something later, because I'd like to have one. Right now, I am pretty much at my vehicle storage/support limit. In fact, the Pathfinder is up for sale as well.

Last edited:
Ha, I know it's not for you guys. But I haven't even fired a gun (other than skeet shooting) since deer season ended here in December. So shooting in self-defense isn't something that ever really crosses my mind. Being reminded of shit like that though, damn. I'll be thinking on it.

32009211-M.jpg

motorcycle-revolver-holster-leather-saddle.jpg

:D

^^^Or you could just keep your piece in the tankbag.

The XD45C fits quite nicely in my Cortech Compac tank bag.

Just got back from that long run, will have some video later. I am quite pleased by the chain oiler, now that it is all dialed in properly.

Good to see the asshat is getting his.

and an interesting read on the Ural

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/world/europe/29sidecar.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

How easy is it to attach/detach a side car like that? Sounds like it would be a fun bike to have to cart people/stuff around in, especially with the roads here in Amish Country, OH. Some nice and twisty roads up here, and if I could ever muster up the funds to get a proper road bike (yeah, at this point I'm not sure if the Yamaha will ever return to road duty, and with mine and my brother's work schedules, rebuilding it is taking longer than anticipated...)

Oh, you're going to get sling, but that's what keeps flushing the dirt and crap out of the chain. On the other hand, oil sling is easy to remove (5 minutes a day at most) and that sticky chain crud that you normally get isn't.
I wouldn't mind some sling, the bike has a pretty good chain-guard. Like you say, it's much easier to clean than a bunch of built up, burned on wax and road grime.

Practice drawing and shooting left-handed while firing cross body. :p
Haha, I'd have to work on shooting a pistol period. If I tried something like that right now I'd probably put an extra hole in myself.

*motorcycle holsters*
:D
My bike is already camo green too. :lol:

Last edited:
Color me not surprised. It wouldn't surprise me if Harley has a market demographic that's aging faster than Buick's. But will they embrace something that older riders may prefer? Fuuuuck no. Goddamn, I genuinely hope they go bankrupt.

Harley's is, and they've focused production on senior-friendly trikes instead.

And in today's "Unsurprising News Hour," Harley's current customer makeup:

hd35.jpg

From Harley's own investor presentation.

What Harley isn't saying is that they have what used to be the Cadillac Problem - every year, the average age of a Harley owner increases by 1.

Just got back from that long run, will have some video later. I am quite pleased by the chain oiler, now that it is all dialed in properly.

In case anybody was wondering, this is why we took the bikes out.

A mint condition 1978 GL1000 seat.

the isle of man TT is happening as we speak. anyone who follows it? and nows who/what/where covers it?

Fuck yeah, new helmet smell.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/05/31/Photo_on_2011-05-31_at_12.58.jpg

How easy is it to attach/detach a side car like that? Sounds like it would be a fun bike to have to cart people/stuff around in, especially with the roads here in Amish Country, OH. Some nice and twisty roads up here, and if I could ever muster up the funds to get a proper road bike (yeah, at this point I'm not sure if the Yamaha will ever return to road duty, and with mine and my brother's work schedules, rebuilding it is taking longer than anticipated...)

I have never actually done it myself. I have a freind that has a Motto Guzzi with a side car and I don't think it has ever been off.

Sidehacks can be rapid detachable if you set them up that way. Friend of mine had an old BMW that he could rig the sidecar to in 5 minutes and have it off in not much more.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/28085150/detail.html

KISKI, Pa. -- Police said they are searching for a driver who is accused of using a pipe to hit a motorcyclist while traveling on Route 22 in Kiski.Investigators said several people witnessed the incident and said the driver of a Toyota Prius rolled down his window to hit the motorcyclist with what was reported as a metal carjack."As the motorcycle was passing the Prius, the Prius started to box him in up against the concrete barrier. They got to a point where they were only traveling 5 or 10 mph or so because the motorcycle had really no room whatsoever to maneuver," said Trooper Steven Limani.Limani said the motorcyclist suffered several cuts to his arm. Police initially thought the man was lying about incident, but after receiving several witness accounts, they began investigating."This actually took place. This isn't a made up story or fabricated. The people who witnessed this are completely independent," Limani said.Investigators said they are looking for silver Toyota Prius with a black right front fender and Ohio plates.

This is the third road-rage incident against motorcyclists in the last two weeks.

Note to self: No more riding without a sidearm.

In that case? Fuck yes. He's using a pipe/wrench which can inflict a deadly injury, which is compounded by the threat of a crash if he hits you AND he's using his car as a weapon.

In Utah I could legally use a firearm to defend myself.

Well, an update on the clutch fiasco with my vt500. Clutch is working well. The guy rigged up a temporary clutch cable guide, but deducted the cost of a new cover/gasket/oil from the final bill. That works for me. :)