The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Personally I'd go for a bike that's ready to ride. Mine had sat unused in a garage for three years when I got it back in July of 2006. I only just now got it running in a way I'm happy with. Getting it going was soooo frustrating and about a year ago I was an inch away from saying fuck it and hauling it off to the junkyard. For not much more money that that one you should be able to find a good runner that might even have some accessories thrown in.

The pics don't show the right side of the bike. Maybe it got into a shunt, especially concidering that the headlight is hanging loosely, the indicators are broken and its missing the mirrors. Tankcap also looks weird.

If the front suspension is gone or the frame is bent you can basically just junk it. Better ask him why he wants to sell the bike as a parts bike before even concidering it.

I was merely entertaining the notion of getting a bike, but then I stumbled upon this!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mcy/658762419.html

Do you guys think that is a good deal? If I could negotiate him to $850 then me and my brother split the cost of the bike, it would only be $425 each! I am assuming it is as cheap as it is because it has no title, but I believe that can be remedied. I've heard they are good bikes, and it would seem like a great beginner bike, anybody have some input?

Pass on it.

That bike will need tons of work to make ridable. You will sink more into it than it's worth.

I was merely entertaining the notion of getting a bike, but then I stumbled upon this!

Do you guys think that is a good deal? If I could negotiate him to $850 then me and my brother split the cost of the bike, it would only be $425 each! I am assuming it is as cheap as it is because it has no title, but I believe that can be remedied. I've heard they are good bikes, and it would seem like a great beginner bike, anybody have some input?

Well, from the pictures I'm less than convinced. I've got a feeling the bike has been put down hard and the right side is completely ratched. It might be worth looking at and going for a test ride if you're feeling brave, but it's probably not worth it in the long run.

Edit: Noticed it's listed "For Parts". Forget about it, find something else.

Where is my front wheel =P

Actually the story is a lot longer, and involves me screwing up so yeah...

I wiped out once going about 30 MPH the middle of the night on a rather rough NYC street. My friend and my friend's uncle were not so lucky.

My friend was side-swiped by a golf cart. The golf cart was on the right side near the should of the road and decided to make a sudden left turn to get to the other side of the road and took out my friend. My friend's uncle hit a deer on a country road in North Carolina going about 50 MPH.

Most people say you should stick to under <= 500 cc on your first bike, but you can get a 600cc and it'll be just the same, except it'll be faster.

What I don't get is why there are people with 750cc+ sport bikes in the middle of the city. That's just crazy.

Today is a very good day and one that I've been waiting for for a long long time. After almost two years of tinkering, rebuilding, swearing, hitting, burning, scraping, bleeding, and sweating my bike is finally running like it should be! :banana: Many many many thanks to hansvonaxion for guiding me in the right direction with the manometer stuff. That got it running ok-ish but something still wasn't right. It turns out one of the spark plugs was bad and once I replaced that all was well. Now it feels like a proper motorcycle instead of an asthmatic scooter. It's so quick it's unbelievable!! I'm addicted even more than I already was. Best of all my bike is now worthy of getting it's torn up seat repaired and some saddle bags thrown on. :cool:

Congrats, man, those old Jap bikes are more powerful than most people think. Enjoy it, go surprise some people, and go on a cross-country tour or something. :thumbup:

Took my first long ride on my gixxer today... It was a bit cold but the bike was fantastic! I'm gonna marry it!

I don't know how Texas law works regarding lost titles, but if that bike doesn't have one I'd pass on it. I bought my Yamaha without one, and the only reason I'll be able to register it without spending a few hundred dollars in lawyer fees is because Kansas has a 35 year old title cut-off date. I make it by one year :lol:. All I need is an MVE1 and a bill of sale (nevermind I don't have a proper bill of sale and it will take some doing to get it by the MVE).

Bonus points if you can ID them all. That first orange one looks pretty bitchin'.
Niiice bikes. He seems to have great taste in bikes, between that cafe racer looking machine and those old Harley choppers. The one in that second link looks like an old Triumph Scrambler. I definitely wouldn't mind one of those ...
scrambler_gallery_pop_1_2008.jpg

HELP PLEASE!

I've booked my CBT for Saturday!

I can ride bikes. I've rode a CBR600 and an R1 but now i must go through proper routes of legal requirements!..also, i rode these briefly down quiet roads and on car parks so i need to get some proper experience on the road. Sadly i can't do my DAC until august so i'll be stuck on a 125cc.

Bikes go over my head completely so i'm looking for some guidance. Also on the helmet/boots and eventually leathers front.. A half decent brand that wont tear my wallet to pieces. :|

All you bike riders out there.. all advice and tips will be GREATLY appreciated. :)

I can't give much advice about the legal requirements or gear available in England but there are some general things that apply no matter where you live. Take it easy at first and practice the basics (starting/stopping, slow turns, swerves, quick stops, etc.) until you're sick of doing them. I went out and did that today to knock off some of the winter rust and I felt a lot better on the bike afterwards. Being able to use those skills without having to think can save your bacon. I've already had to do two unplanned quick stops so far this season and they were no sweat because I knew what I was doing.

But even more importantly, be very aware of your surroundings. We all know what happened to Blind_Io. Strangely enough today was the first time I had to use my horn because of the actions of a four wheeled vehicle. A woman in a Chevy Tahoe just sort of crept through the intersection. I saw her from far away and even before she started moving I was thinking "Don't do it, don't do it, fuckin' bitch!" *HONK HONK HONK* Had I not been so attentive it could have turned dangerous. Be sure to leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you. There have been a handful of accidents around here this year where the rider was following too closely.

But most importantly of all, have fun! That's what motorcycling is all about. :D

I know it's different on a bike. I will be most cautious. A few guys from work pointed out that improves your driving better aswell as you learn to be more aware of the things happening around you. I'm so looking forward to this..

I think i'll most likely be getting a Yamaha YBR 125. Just to get used to riding generally..

24280_0_1_2_ybr%20125_Image%20credits%20-%20Yamaha.jpg

I will be taking all of what you said into consideration and will be practicing my bollocks off, believe me. My friend from work was involved in a crash a fair few years ago in which he was knocked into a coma for two weeks and had to learn to walk and talk again. I'll be taking the utmost care. Definitely having fun though.. :cool:

Still need to figure out what gear/helmet to buy.. :(

I started riding on dirtbikes... Great practise and you get used to crashing..:p I think you should go to a place where they sell helmets and riding gear and try it out...

I know it's different on a bike. I will be most cautious. A few guys from work pointed out that improves your driving better aswell as you learn to be more aware of the things happening around you. I'm so looking forward to this..

I think i'll most likely be getting a Yamaha YBR 125. Just to get used to riding generally..

24280_0_1_2_ybr%20125_Image%20credits%20-%20Yamaha.jpg

I will be taking all of what you said into consideration and will be practicing my bollocks off, believe me. My friend from work was involved in a crash a fair few years ago in which he was knocked into a coma for two weeks and had to learn to walk and talk again. I'll be taking the utmost care. Definitely having fun though.. :cool:

Still need to figure out what gear/helmet to buy.. :(

Don't suppose you want to wait a month and buy mine?
It's an '06 model on an '07 plate so it has a bit more power and torque than the newer versions. It's done just over 3,000 miles, just had first major service and new set of Michelins as the originals were bilge.
Some scratches from a low speed off but mechanically it's perfect.
I'd happily ride down to you if you needed.

P7080003_000.JPG

Have a look at my old thread.
http://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/my-motorbike-20179/page-2/

Get some updated pictures tomorrow if you're interested.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post but it's different topic so different post.
I'm a bit indecisive on what to go for with my next bike. I can't decide whether to go cheap and get something like a 1998 CB500 or spend more and get a more modern version like a 2005ish CBF500, Bandit etc.
I use it for a 75 mile round trip to Uni but I have use of my parents car if the weathers shit so reliability does not need to be 100%.

I'd go for the bandit.. it's the better bike me thinks. Or go cheap and buy a better bike when yer done with the Uni..

I'm trying to think of what bike I will get to replace my Magna. I'd like another 3rd generation Magna, but I also found a 1995 BMW R1100R for $3300 and a 2000 R1100R with luggage for $3500.

What do you guys think?