The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I check my nuts on a regular basis. Oh, wait, this is not the section I thought it was. :tease:
In case anyone is unable on their own, I'm a Certified Nut Inspector who is happy to provide his services.

Joking aside, it's good advice. At the beginning of the season I was washing the VFR, lubing the chain, and generally getting it ready to go. As I was washing the front wheel I noticed that one of the fork pinch bolts was very loose. Upon closer inspection, all four had worked their way loose and needed to be re-torqued.

Had I not been paying attention and inspecting the bike, I could have easily missed this and lost the front wheel. Checking your torque specs regularly on things like pinch bolts, axle nuts, caliper bolts, chain tension, brake pad meat, etc. is an important ritual.

*goes and checks pinch bolts on VFR...*

anyone else who can't stand working with gloves like that?
and when i realy have to, i put on a pair of these
Werkhandschoenen_M-Safe_Nitrile_Microfoam_14-690_montage_veiligheidshandschoenen.jpg

never ever those rubber things, those are for a doctor to check your prostate, not to work on a bike!

Joking aside, it's good advice. At the beginning of the season I was washing the VFR, lubing the chain, and generally getting it ready to go. As I was washing the front wheel I noticed that one of the fork pinch bolts was very loose. Upon closer inspection, all four had worked their way loose and needed to be re-torqued.

Had I not been paying attention and inspecting the bike, I could have easily missed this and lost the front wheel. Checking your torque specs regularly on things like pinch bolts, axle nuts, caliper bolts, chain tension, brake pad meat, etc. is an important ritual.

I know it doesn't apply to everything, but marking the position of nuts and bolts with a marker pen helps visualize if those are coming loose.

Werkhandschoenen_M-Safe_Nitrile_Microfoam_14-690_montage_veiligheidshandschoenen.jpg

never ever those rubber things, those are for a doctor to check your prostate, not to work on a bike!

Yeah, I use gloves like that most of the time. Use thicker rubber ones if handling fuel or oil and I know I'd get my hands properly dirty. Bought some kind of industrial type, resistant to chemicals.

I used to use gloves similar to that at work, but unless I'm doing really dirty work/handling something abrasive I don't bother anymore.
But those gloves usually don't really work when working with oils/greases, they mostly go right through and your hands get really dirty anyway. You also lose feel to screw in bolts/on nuts.
I picked up the habit of wearing those "surgeons" gloves from watching Eric The Car Guy, I thought it was quite daft at first, but after having tried it I hardly work without them. Mostly so my hands don't get covered in oil, also so I don't get dirt/grease/oil all over my clothes or inside the apartment when I go back inside.
The only downside is that they sort of dissolve when they come in contact with brake cleaner and they do tend to tear, but then only my fingertips get a bit dirty, get a new glove and I'm good to go again.
They're also quite cheap, a box is something like ?10-15 and will last me pretty much a year. Decent work gloves are usually a bit more expensive and also wear out after time, and when they've been drenched in oil you might as well throw them away because every time you put them on afterwards you'll be covered in it again.

A few weeks after I got my first Hornet I noticed something wasn't quite right on the RHS yoke. The bolt was just missing. You can sort of see it in this picture

891650_548687181830665_4441027_o.jpg

I'm also quite happy I caught that when I did. :p

Last edited:

I pretty much use them exclusively. Reduces the amount of pumice suspended soap I need to use when cleaning up.

[video=youtube;k-Q9ApYT5pU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Q9ApYT5pU[/video]

These were forwarded to me by a friend who spends lots of time on the moto sites. He says that the photos of the Suzuki Vstrom were snapped by a forum member from Lafayette, Indiana and that the bike was seen sitting in a local parking lot. All I can say is: "Holy bundles of baggage, Batman!"

SL

Vstrom1.jpg.png
[/URL][/IMG]

When you are homeless and only have a motorcycle, you find a way. :p

That must affect handling a tiny bit.

:???:

That's impressive. I guess a V-Strom... uh, finds a way.

its been a while, but here is a garage update;
I love my GSX-R750 but I've always wanted to add a GSX-R1100 to the garage. I'm the 3rd owner, 29000km, its a 1995 model, the best year for the water cooled models because they shed a lot of weight compared to the previous year, and its the most powerful version with about 155hp.

This one won't remain stock though, project name: "The Power Scrambler"...

DSC06571_zpszgurd2zm.jpg

DSC06573_zpsxkmafgde.jpg

DSC06576_zpsgvitrjzg.jpg

DSC06580_zpswp8snvmv.jpg

DSC06586_zpsriejtkwj.jpg

Current state..
eDsc07186_zpsevqv8lhl.jpg

:thumbsup:
When I was growing up and started getting interested in motorcycles, the GSXR1100 was THE hoolingan bike. I don't know if it was true, but at the time it was revered as fastest, most harcore sportsbike. :lol:
I want to own one just for nostalgia's sake.

What's the tube coming out on top of the fuel tank? I've always wondered about that.

When I was growing up and started getting interested in motorcycles, the GSXR1100 was THE hoolingan bike. I don't know if it was true, but at the time it was revered as fastest, most harcore sportsbike. :lol:

Yeah, thats how it was for me too! :D

What's the tube coming out on top of the fuel tank? I've always wondered about that.
Its a breather tube

To me, the nostalgia bike would be the Katana 1100.

110-191-82-0_2.jpg

And I'm not a purist, I would love a restomodded one like this one:

Suzuki%2BGSX%2B1100S%2Bby%2BBright%2BLogic%2B01.png

Suzuki%2BGSX%2B1100S%2Bby%2BBright%2BLogic%2B05.png