The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Cycle Gear heated gloves are your friend. On that note though, can anyone recommend some battery powered heated and waterproof gloves?

Widder had some but they're dead now. Gerbing *used* to make some, don't know if they still do.

34 miles, 35 degrees, 60 miles per hour, in the rain.

After I've amputated my fingers, I think I'm going to buy some better water proof gloves.

Que "I drove 180mph in the middle of a pack of tornados without any gloves, while being attacked by a family of badgers residing in my helmet" comments.

I won't say I was colder, but 5 hours of 70mph in humid 49 degrees on Saturday was pretty damn miserable.

I lucked out quite a bit, as an hour after posting that the rain turned into snow.

So I bought two rectifiers, one from an '09? R1 (FH020AA) and the other from an '05 919 as Spectre suggested. I haven't installed either yet because I don't have the correct sealed connectors or terminals but yet another order (my 3rd or 4th?) from Cycle Terminal is on its way. Hopefully this will be the end of my rectifier madness...

Riding home from my last session today I had a serious scare. Just after dark I was crossing the 3 heavy rail tracks that serve cargo and commuter trains. As I crossed, a bright light appeared to my right, lighting up the whole side of my helmet. I looked over to see the distinctive three headlights of a locomotive looming over me.

I pinned it without thinking and got off the tracks doing about 60. I probably lifted the front end a bit coming down from the crossing.

I realized that I just tried to outrun a stationary train that was idling near the crossing behind some trees, then rode home and got the poo out of my shorts.

:lol:
Geez, that must be awful.

Blind_Io: faster than a stationary locomotive

I need to ride more this season again. Last year I used the bike very little - just about 1,500 km, in fact. The effect of just having bought a convertible, I guess. But if I don't use the bike more often, I might as well sell it next year.

Having too many good-weather vehicles is not good...

Kiki and I didn't do any motorcycle trips last year. I'm hoping to get away for a long weekend at some point, but it is looking like an expensive year for the house and the car.

We already had to do some plumbing work in the front yard to move the irrigation shutoff main valve and irrigation zone valves. We need a new water heater for the house, the VFR needs a new tire and to at least have the suspension serviced (if not replaced), the Xterra's struts are already being rebuilt and new brake lines need to go in, a new bumper is needed for the X, and I need to buy a light control unit to start the next phase of my build if I want to try for Baja this fall.

Went on a short ride to Alice's yesterday with some friends:

TiCChW4.jpg

Got to also try my buddy's SV650 (pictured) with a GSXR front fork swap, felt like I was riding a toy compared to the VFR. :lol: Not sure if I could ever be comfortable with that kind of riding position.

The ride to and from Alice's wasn't bad but because of all the rain we've had these past few months the roads were littered with mud, rocks, and water runoff. You definitely had to be careful out there.

How do you like your Sargent seat? Mine makes me go numb and digs into my legs. I've had a Corbin and two different stock seats on my VFR and just can't get comfortable. My original and sadly ripped stock seat has been the best annoyingly.

Mine's a Corbin seat and I agree it isn't the most comfortable thing after a long ride but it doesn't bother me too much. I have the stock seat but I've yet to try it out.

Awww, Alice's. <3 So many good memories of those roads!!

The VFR is doing something strange. Under hard acceleration the bike is hesitating above about 5,500-6,200 RPM. I just noticed it today when giving it the beans.

I have to figure out what is up.

Our VFRs must be synced up. About a minute after I read your post, mine refused to start. I had just ridden up to Crazyjeeper's place after getting engine temp up to 235? in traffic. It sat for about 20-30 minutes and settled down to 154?.

However, when I cranked it, it wouldn't turn over. When it finally did after liberal throttle application, it refused to idle. So we left it and I took his Tenere. We were gone riding and inhaling burgers long enough for the VFR to be dead cold. Of course, it fired right up.

We deduced that the fuel pump was on it's way out. Cheapest I've found one new is $310 so far :?

Hot start problems is usually a valve clearance issue, they are not seating when hot, but are when cold. Time for an adjustment.

Valves are definitely a suspect. I think it's been something like 60k since they were last checked. The interval on the Tenere is 26k and it definitely ran better after the adjustment.

Still, it was a gorgeous day, and I'm up to 300 miles on my new machine.

i-wPrhgmL-X2.jpg

However, when I cranked it, it wouldn't turn over. When it finally did after liberal throttle application, it refused to idle. So we left it and I took his Tenere. We were gone riding and inhaling burgers long enough for the VFR to be dead cold. Of course, it fired right up.

We deduced that the fuel pump was on it's way out. Cheapest I've found one new is $310 so far :?

fuel pump shouldn't stop the engine from turning over?