The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

PelicanHazard

Car(s)
'13 Dart 1.4T mtx, '03 Ranger, '20 KTM 390 Duke
So this weekend, MotoAmerica was here in Pittsburgh. I went with a friend who's gone pretty regularly in the past, and Yamaha was there with test rides. I rode this:

8FU0Ve0.jpg

An FJR1300. Quite a step up from my 390 Duke!

The demo route was pretty simple, given the lack of options surrounding the race complex:

Untitled.png

I did have some initial difficulties during the low speed exit from the parking area, being unused to the larger bike, but a little bit of speed and it became very easy to manage.

Pros:
  • POWAH. Exemplified best on the turnpike on-ramp where I went up to highway speed before I even realized it without shifting. Can't manage that in the Duke.
  • So smooooooth. I know an inline-four isn't inherently vibration-free, but coming from a single cylinder buzzer, it was downright buttery.
  • I've looked at sport-tourers for a while now, but never actually ridden one. With the Duke being so flickable, I thought perhaps a larger and heaver tourer would be a bit much. This one, anyways, hides its weight very well when moving. (Again, couple of issues I had with it while taxiing in and out of the staging area.)
Cons:
  • Overly complicated dashboard. I've probably been spoiled rotten by the Duke's clean TFT screen, but having 3 distinct clusters was a bit busy.
  • The fairing was much appreciated, but there wasn't a windshield height that worked well at speed. All the way up covered most of me pretty well, but amplified the wind noise and buffeted my head. Lowering the windshield to clean the air around the helmet and combat the buffeting also did something to the pocket of still air my torso had been enjoying that I didn't like. Maybe a taller windshield that fully covered the helmet would have helped, but I don't know for sure.
Still a pretty good experience overall, and some of my qualms about getting a sport tourer in the future are thoroughly quashed.

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Has anyone been following this video series, chronicling the restoration of a Kawasaki KM90? :lmao:

How this hasn't been age-restricted by YouTube, I don't know.

NSFW:

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
I rode a bike again for the first time in (I think) 6 years! It was 10 meters out of the garage and back in, but still...

As I mentioned elsewhere, a friend has given me the moto bug again. So after watching tons of F9 and revzilla videos on yt I decided to finally get the XT repaired at a garage, which will happen in August.

Yesterday I also grabbed a new battery for the 125 Yamaha, which also been sitting in the garage for 2-3 years. Started right up, was a little hesitant to pick up throttle from idle at first but smoothed out after running for a bit. Clutch was also super stiff but some oil on the cable fixed that. Everything else seems good for inspection, although tires are at the edge of legal tread depth. And I need to reinflate them. I'll explain why I want to get the 125 rideable again in a bit...

And I went to the local Yamaha dealer on monday to take a look at the MT07 and Tenere 700. They had moved to a different, much smaller location from the one they had when I was there last time, which was weird. The whole place looked a little... sad. Very small, lots of bikes crammed together tightly so you can't even get a good all around look at them and still not even the full lineup on display.

Anyway, they did have a couple MTs on display as well as demonstrators for the MT and Tenere, so I got to sit on both and arranged back to back test rides in July when I'm back from vacation. I'm pretty average height and always had to either tip toe or single foot the XT, so I was worried the T7 might be uncomfortably tall. But it felt just fine sitting on it for a minute. Still had to tip toe, but holding it with one leg down felt very natural. I guess the habit holds up.

So that's also the reason for fixing up the 125, I want to use it to refamiliarize myself with bike controls and handling before I do the test rides.

And as a side note, motorcycle color options suck. Or at least the ones on the MT07 and T7. I kinda like the "cyan storm" color on the MT Yamaha has for this year, but I really wish they had done the whole tank etc. in the wheel color.
2022-Yamaha-MT07-EU-Cyan_Storm-Studio-001-03.jpg

If I were to get either of those bikes I think I'd have to put a wrap on them. This place for example seems to have some really nice designs.
2021_MT-07_Black.CONQUER.photomontage-29584.jpg

replica-tenere-700-rouge-27411.jpg

:oops:

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
That sounds good, @shad_68! I guess after swapping the Fiesta for a Mustang, you need something else to go around corners. :p

And I went to the local Yamaha dealer on monday to take a look at the MT07 and Tenere 700. They had moved to a different, much smaller location from the one they had when I was there last time, which was weird. The whole place looked a little... sad. Very small, lots of bikes crammed together tightly so you can't even get a good all around look at them and still not even the full lineup on display.
You are talking about the one in the north of town, I guess. Yeah, their new place is weird. It's just a converted warehouse, it seems. And the location is really inconvenient - at least before they had a subway station nearby. This new place basically forces you to get a (non-free!) loaner from them when you have them do a service on your bike unless you have someone play taxi for you.
Still, their service is as okay as it was before. Can't complain.

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
You are talking about the one in the north of town, I guess. Yeah, their new place is weird. It's just a converted warehouse, it seems. And the location is really inconvenient - at least before they had a subway station nearby. This new place basically forces you to get a (non-free!) loaner from them when you have them do a service on your bike unless you have someone play taxi for you.
Still, their service is as okay as it was before. Can't complain.
Yeah, I guess the car dealership next to their old place expanded and they had to move out and this was the best they could find? Because I can't imagine business was so bad they had to downsize to a worse location. It's definitely less convenient, but I just checked, the nearest subway stop is still just 10 minutes walk away, that's not terrible.

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
Now that you say it - yeah, not so bad. The location just feels like AdW because of the surroundings.

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
I was bored so I did a quick photoshop of what I would've liked the "cyan storm" color on the MT 07 to be / how I'd want to get it wrapped.
MT07 color.jpg