The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Need a bit more info;
How long are you staying?
What kind of licence do you have now - fully unrestricted for over a year?
What size/type bike do you want and how much do you want to spend? (I'll do a search and post a link)

Traffic isn't congested in Okinawa, we drove a rent-a-car around and it was fine. Here's a link to a car search site that's in English...

http://www.goo-net.com/used/eng/

Neat site! That's a lot of selection and most of the prices seem reasonable.

I'll likely be there for at least two years. I've had a full unrestricted bike license for over a year now. Ideally I want a sport tourer type bike with at least 650cc. Budget will probably be around 2000-3000 USD.

Ok, so I'm looking for general advice on what sort of used bikes I should look for as a first big bike.
I'd like either a standard/naked/UJM-ish bike, or an enduro/dual-sport (like the XT600s I've already been looking at). It doesn't need to be exceptionally powerful or fast for me, if it can go up to and stay at normal motorway speeds without problems that's enough.
It should be very reliable / low maintenace, because I don't trust myself to do repairs and service, and I don't want to have to spend all my money at the garage either.
Price range is 3000?-ish, 4k? is the absolute limit I have in my mind.

Already on my list are the XT600/660, CB 750 and CB(F) 500 ...
Any suggestions would be really appreciated! :)

Neat site! That's a lot of selection and most of the prices seem reasonable.

I'll likely be there for at least two years. I've had a full unrestricted bike license for over a year now. Ideally I want a sport tourer type bike with at least 650cc. Budget will probably be around 2000-3000 USD.

I don't know if you've checked out the licencing requirements, but you can ride on an international licence for one year after your first entry and then you have to get a Japanese licence. For people coming from RHD coutries with a reciprocal agreement (like Australia) you can just swap it with minimal paperwork and an eye test (still nearly a full day and a migraine), but for Americans a driving/riding test is required.

As I said earlier, I was planning to do my "ogata" (big class) test because they only gave me a "chugata" (medium class) licence. I can't say for sure whether you would have to pass your 400cc test before taking the big class test or even whether you have to take the driving test before the bike test. I would hazard a guess and say you only need to test for what you want and if you passed your big class test you're automatically covered for every bike class. You can ride a 50cc scooter on a car licence.

As for the test, I've heard people say it's tough and only 10-30% of people pass. But then a petite Japanese woman who rides a Harley has told me it's easy and if you have experience riding a big bike you should pass. Hardest part is getting used to a new bike immediately, and tackling obstacles you've never done before.

When checking for bikes for sale from a shop you have to add $500-1000 to the advertised price for on-road costs and dealer fees, so your real budget would be about $2000 list price. They don't tend to negotiate much. Being in Okinawa there may be a larger private sale network, military guys buying and selling as they come and go, but I can't really help you there.

This is the only bike listed in Okinawa under $2500 and over 400cc right now. Dealers don't tend to stock much under $3000 because it isn't really worth their while.

Here is all the bikes in Okinawa under $2500.

It's all Japanese but even if you know none you can figure out price, year and km's. The kanji ??means 10,000, so 25? = (25x10,000) 250,000? $2500US.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Oh my God, this is my new favorite website. :bow:

+1 coming your way.

You're welcome. :) I think the English site is fairly recent. Goo is pretty big and covers everything, that's just the car section.

Ok, so I'm looking for general advice on what sort of used bikes I should look for as a first big bike.
I'd like either a standard/naked/UJM-ish bike, or an enduro/dual-sport (like the XT600s I've already been looking at). It doesn't need to be exceptionally powerful or fast for me, if it can go up to and stay at normal motorway speeds without problems that's enough.
It should be very reliable / low maintenace, because I don't trust myself to do repairs and service, and I don't want to have to spend all my money at the garage either.
Price range is 3000?-ish, 4k? is the absolute limit I have in my mind.

Already on my list are the XT600/660, CB 750 and CB(F) 500 ...
Any suggestions would be really appreciated! :)

How tall are you? Because from what I remember the XTs are very tall machines whilst the CBFs are a lot shorter ( I can flat foot the CBF with ease but the XT I could only tip-toe). You don't want it too short so you get cramp or too high and lose confidence.

The SV650s (early ones) are very suited to new shorter riders, a good flat torque curve with the V-Twin ideal for intro to big bikes. If you're slightly taller than the Bandits are nice intro big bikes too. V-Storms and Transalps are great for the tall riders.

I would advise something less than 80bhp with friendly handling and if money can stretch, somethign with ABS

I'm about 1,78m / 5' 10", so not *that* tall.
I think I'll see if I can have a sit on one of the XT660s at my dealer, since they're about the same height as the XT600, and I need to go there soon anyway to pick up my little Ybbie again.

I would advise something less than 80bhp with friendly handling and if money can stretch, somethign with ABS
Yeah that's what I was thinking myself already too. :)

Anyone know of a good place to search fore used bikes, particularly in the CT area? I've looked at cycletrader and a few others google came up with, but I get the feeling I'm missing out. I really want to get my ass on a bike this summer, but it has to be super cheap, and a sport bike of some sort. It's not a huge deal if it requires a very small amount of work, as my dad can help with that, but good condition is, as always, preferred.

Anyone know of a good place to search fore used bikes, particularly in the CT area? I've looked at cycletrader and a few others google came up with, but I get the feeling I'm missing out. I really want to get my ass on a bike this summer, but it has to be super cheap, and a sport bike of some sort. It's not a huge deal if it requires a very small amount of work, as my dad can help with that, but good condition is, as always, preferred.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ct

I second the craigslist recommendation. I keep an eye on the CT, RI, MA and Hudson Valley, NY craigslist everyday looking for bikes and parts.

I picked up an airbox in perfect shape with a new air filter in it for my CB750F for 35 dollars off of Hartford Craigslist.

This FZR 600 has been on the New Haven Craigslist for about six weeks.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/1130459612.html

The guy selling it seems like kind of a moron and would probably be a pain in the ass to deal with but it is cheap and if it turns over with a jump then probably an easy fix.

Bring a truck and say 400 bucks cash I bet you could drag it away pretty easily for as long as he has been trying to sell it.

There was an old EX500 for sale all through the winter for 1,000 dollars on either the Nortwest Corner or Fairfield Craigslist. He put up a new ad every week but always with the same pictures from December with snow all over the place. I just searched for and couldn't find an ad so maybe he finally sold it. Keep an eye out for it though as that bike was in good shape just too much money.

Keep a good eye on the Hudson Valley and RI craigslist as the economy is much worse in those two areas. Unemployment in RI is through the roof and lots of people are dumping bikes cheap to get quick cash.

Just found this Suzuki in Barkhamsted..

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/1131821177.html

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/1131030942.html

Honda dinterceptor? :lol: cheap just 650 but needs a tank and some other work.

I don't understand why people don't correct Typos in Craigslist ads.

I also have Ebay saved searches set up for certain bikes within 150 miles of my house. It is an easy thing to do and I get a summary emailed to me each day.

Last edited:
This FZR 600 has been on the New Haven Craigslist for about six weeks.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/1130459612.html

The guy selling it seems like kind of a moron and would probably be a pain in the ass to deal with but it is cheap and if it turns over with a jump then probably an easy fix.

Which is ironic, because he sounds like a 'tardder who's way too aggressive to get rid of his squid-machine.

Also, I've never been interested in dirtbikes until now, but I really, really, REALLY want an electric dirtbike:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPGZAnel1k[/YOUTUBE]

Look at it ford that stream! It's like a giant bicycle! It's like going mountain biking, except with less sweat! :woot:

Picked up the bike today, woohoo.

First time you get on a new bike it's always...
What's that noise?
Is that smell coming from the bike, or that truck?

Need to ride it a few times till I'll be 100% comfortable with it.

Also, first time I get on a bike after a long absence, I use too much clutch and I'm too slow.

Add those together and it means I'll give a proper first impression after a few rides.

Haven't given it a real flogging yet, but when VTEC kicks in you have to hang on for dear life! Nearly ripped my arms out of the sockets! (jokes) But it's funny reading reviews that say bikes like this won't get a learner into trouble and they lack power etc. Bikers (or bike reviewers) would complain about a lack of power on the space shuttle. While more power would be welcome, it has plenty for round the city.

Will take some pics soon, even though it's like photographing vanilla icecream, or a new microwave. Will also try to take some video footage riding round Tokyo or the countryside, that might be more interesting.

Also, I've never been interested in dirtbikes until now, but I really, really, REALLY want an electric dirtbike:

Or you could use a normal pedal-bike?
I'd like to see that that bike take on the GGN:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbMA1c_aZo[/YOUTUBE]

I did and i failed miserably..

Last edited:
Picked up the bike today, woohoo.

First time you get on a new bike it's always...
What's that noise?
Is that smell coming from the bike, or that truck?

Need to ride it a few times till I'll be 100% comfortable with it.

Also, first time I get on a bike after a long absence, I use too much clutch and I'm too slow.

Add those together and it means I'll give a proper first impression after a few rides.

Haven't given it a real flogging yet, but when VTEC kicks in you have to hang on for dear life! Nearly ripped my arms out of the sockets! (jokes) But it's funny reading reviews that say bikes like this won't get a learner into trouble and they lack power etc. Bikers (or bike reviewers) would complain about a lack of power on the space shuttle. While more power would be welcome, it has plenty for round the city.

Will take some pics soon, even though it's like photographing vanilla icecream, or a new microwave. Will also try to take some video footage riding round Tokyo or the countryside, that might be more interesting.

Because of YOU I spent the last few days watching videos an drooling over photos of a CB400SF. Damn I want one! I always wanted an "old" CB400Four! Rumor has it that Honda will start selling them here in Brazil this year. I seriously doubt it, but really wish it is true. Our market is mostly small bikes, and there is a huge gap, because there is nothing we can buy between 250cc and 600c so the CB400 would fill it nicely.

Last edited:
Which is ironic, because he sounds like a 'tardder who's way too aggressive to get rid of his squid-machine.

Yes, I too found that add very ironic. It has been posted over and over now for a couple of months. I actually like the look of those bikes but I don't need another bike that doesn't run.

Another suggestion for cheap bikes in Central CT area is Pete's Cycle Parts in Wolcott.

They put up cheap bikes on Craigslist all the time and I am sure have more bikes that they never put up but just sell out of the front of their store.

Just do a Search for Pete's Cycle Parts on Craigslist or search for their phone number 203-879-4879.

They had a running 1983 CB750SC for 350 bucks a while back that I tried to look at but was gone before I got over there. It didn't have a title was the only problem.

As a petrolhead, I oughta slap you for saying that! :x

My point was: That thing is no better than a normal bike! That's why i posted the GGN vid. Get yourself a real dirtbike, instead of drooling after that abomination!!

So it is you who deserved to be slapped, good sir! :shakefist:

Last edited:
So it is you who deserved to be slapped, good sir! :shakefist:

I'd rather see nature in its serene silence than scare the shit out of every living creature within a 50-mile radius.

Also, it's good fun for sneaking up on people. Ninja assassins would definitely be interested. :ph34r:

I'd rather see nature in its serene silence than scare the shit out of every living creature within a 50-mile radius.

Also, it's good fun for sneaking up on people. Ninja assassins would definitely be interested. :ph34r:

Ninjas are pussies! Vikings where it's at!!
www.MessenTools.com-Varios-big-097.gif

Last edited:
As a petrolhead, I oughta slap you for saying that! :x

Ok, wise guy. Explain how the electric bicycle thingy is any better?