The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Um... you're supposed to turn your kill switch off at the end of a session, and then turn it back on *just* before you tag the starter button.

Your father has it right, you don't.
I think we're confused here, if the kill switch is 'on' the engine doesn't start. I'm referring to the emergency kill switch on the right handlebar, not the key ignition. Of all the mistakes I've made, turning the ignition on and leaving it there isn't one of em'.

Well, Tuesday I ride the Magna down to San Jose to see a dealer and see what he will give me for trade on a 2000 VFR.

We'll see what happens.

I think we're confused here, if the kill switch is 'on' the engine doesn't start. I'm referring to the emergency kill switch on the right handlebar, not the key ignition. Of all the mistakes I've made, turning the ignition on and leaving it there isn't one of em'.

The kill switch (the one on the right control cluster) on my bike is labelled "run" and "stop" - some are labelled "on" and "off".

When the switch is in 'run' or 'on', the bike's ignition is enabled and you can start and operate the motorcycle. When it is in 'stop' or 'off', the circuit is cut and you cannot start the bike.

If you look at it electrically, "ON"/"RUN" is the setting where current passes through the switch - therefore "on" is "enable engine" not the other way around.

I think you're the confused one here.:D

The kill switch (the one on the right control cluster) on my bike is labelled "run" and "stop" - some are labelled "on" and "off".

When the switch is in 'run' or 'on', the bike's ignition is enabled and you can start and operate the motorcycle. When it is in 'stop' or 'off', the circuit is cut and you cannot start the bike.

If you look at it electrically, "ON"/"RUN" is the setting where current passes through the switch - therefore "on" is "enable engine" not the other way around.

I'm still a bit fresh to motorcycling so I very well may be. ;p When I meant the kill switch is 'on', I was meaning that the switch is doing it's thing... preventing the motor from starting. Ugh, thank you Spectre, now I'm getting a head-ache. :lol:

Well, Tuesday I ride the Magna down to San Jose to see a dealer and see what he will give me for trade on a 2000 VFR.

We'll see what happens.

I hope the deal goes through. I like VFR's a lot, but sadly they are a rarity here.

I'm still a bit fresh to motorcycling so I very well may be. ;p When I meant the kill switch is 'on', I was meaning that the switch is doing it's thing... preventing the motor from starting. Ugh, thank you Spectre, now I'm getting a head-ache. :lol:

I already had a headache!:lol: I thought Spectre was right, but since I haven't owned or ridden a motorcycle for 4 years, I could be mistaken...:p

Just came off a long ride, rather icey out there. My hands are dead to the world, my helmet is covered in a thin layer of ice and so it my crash helmet.

Was good fun though..^_^

I noticed on this little trip that sometimes my indicator doesn't flash, it just stays on.. i have relay issues..:think:

Just came off a long ride, rather icey out there. My hands are dead to the world, my helmet is covered in a thin layer of ice and so it my crash helmet.

Was good fun though..^_^

I noticed on this little trip that sometimes my indicator doesn't flash, it just stays on.. i have relay issues..:think:

Is there a difference between the helmet and crash helmet? :?

I had that problem once (on my CB350/4) and IIRC it was just a blown globe... or was it a battery with low charge? Well, electrics did strange things but it turned out to be something simple - so my advice is to check all your globes, connections and battery before starting to swap out parts.

So I'm contemplating whether my motorcycling skills are confident enough that I'm willing to ride 2 hours to Albany, and then 2 hours to Amherst MA, and then another hour home, all via freeway.

It's getting cold around here and progressively more rainy...but in regards to the motoring confidence department, I inadvertently stalled my bike while crossing a busy intersection and managed to restart it without disrupting traffic or dying. I don't know if that's testament to my amazing skill or my frustrating lack of, in regards to the whole clutch/throttle department. :(

On a "new" bike that you are still shaking the bugs out of? NO.

To do otherwise is a great recipe for "having to pay the expensive tow bill for trucking your motorcycle home".

For that matter, have you replaced the tires and chain/sprockets yet?

We'll see what happens.

Are you sure about that? You do know what happens when Vtec kicks in.. :p

scootervtec.jpg

Funny. This is a 2000, so no VTech.

So did you get the Guzzi?

I am close to getting one myself...

No, don't think I can have it now. My girlfriend wanted me to save up for a house instead :(

I need to bring her around and have a ride on it to convince her

^ That's exactly the reason I'm glad I got into motorcycling before getting into a relationship. From now on the bike will always have been there first and it is not going anywhere. The point is non-negotiable.

No, don't think I can have it now. My girlfriend wanted me to save up for a house instead :(

You're doing it wrong!

My first date with my girl was on my bike. She now has a full set of her own gear, a valid M1 and her own Ninja 250 parked downstairs next to "Maggie."

Blind_Io FTW!