The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Do you happen to know what the charge will likely be?

I'm hoping for a first degree assault charge. It's highly unlikely though. At the very least I want his license suspended for a lengthy period of time and for the kid attend an anger management/road rage class.

They could go for aggravated assault since he used his car as a weapon, they could also file a felony battery charge since the rider was injured.

Well, my bike just became a victim of "idiot mechanic syndrome." This is a common problem which has claimed many parts and vehicles belonging FGers (i.e. Spectre's old Jag and the gauge cluster on his nighthawk). Yep, go to check on my Shadow at the shop. It has been there for about a month now with a clutch issue.

I was told the bike would be done Saturday. I get a call saturday from the mechanic who says he "got distracted" and will have it completed by Tuesday. Well Tuesday rolls around, I swing by his shop to ask what the deal is. He tells me that he BROKE MY FRIGGEN CLUTCH COVER putting it back on the bike. He reassures me though that he can weld it up. I'm quite skeptical though, you'd think a guy who specializes in repairing old UJMs would know a thing or two about dealing with the fragile metals used in older engine cases.

Angry, Rossco is angry with shop right now.

It isn't just older bikes but bikes in general - see that Squid Channel vid where the guy saves his bike from a drop but then plows off the road and drops it on the dirt and gravel shoulder. He cracked his cases pretty bad and that was a relatively soft fall. Older bikes usually have thicker and sturdier cases and covers since saving weight wasn't the obsession then that it is today, and longevity was a more prized quality.

Welding that cover is a bad idea, too. You do not weld die cast aluminum unless you have no other alternative. He owes you a new (used) clutch cover and gasket.

It isn't just older bikes but bikes in general - see that Squid Channel vid where the guy saves his bike from a drop but then plows off the road and drops it on the dirt and gravel shoulder. He cracked his cases pretty bad and that was a relatively soft fall. Older bikes usually have thicker and sturdier cases and covers since saving weight wasn't the obsession then that it is today, and longevity was a more prized quality.

Welding that cover is a bad idea, too. You do not weld die cast aluminum unless you have no other alternative. He owes you a new (used) clutch cover and gasket.

Well, the part that broke on the cover was the guide for the clutch cable. The mechanic was thinking about fabricating something up and attaching it to the frame. I'm pretty sure whatever little Mcgyver solution he has is just going to end up looking like ass, and probably won't hold up for long anyway. So replacing the cover is unfortunately gonna have to happen.

In other motorbike news, remember that kid in NH who tried to run the motorcyclist off the road? Well stupidity must be spreading because now some idiot in the south (Kentucky?) tried to do the same thing, and it got caught on video!

Any word on if there were any arrests or tickets issued? It would not surprise me at all of the cops cited the riders but not the driver of the truck.

Any word on if there were any arrests or tickets issued? It would not surprise me at all of the cops cited the riders but not the driver of the truck.

Posted by the video's uploader in the comment box:

Nothing has happend so far. This? just happend Sunday. Messed up huh?!

I take it that it might take a while as the rider had no way to display the video of the incident to the responding officers, if any were called. I'm pretty sure once the AG sees this video (which includes audio of one of the riders reading the trucks license plate out loud, along with a description of the truck), that charges will be filed.

Well, the part that broke on the cover was the guide for the clutch cable. The mechanic was thinking about fabricating something up and attaching it to the frame. I'm pretty sure whatever little Mcgyver solution he has is just going to end up looking like ass, and probably won't hold up for long anyway. So replacing the cover is unfortunately gonna have to happen.

This is the video to which I referred earlier.

Also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...19028QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984...34265QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...11534QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

In other motorbike news, remember that kid in NH who tried to run the motorcyclist off the road? Well stupidity must be spreading because now some idiot in the south (Kentucky?) tried to do the same thing, and it got caught on video!

It isn't exactly spreading, I've seen that kind of crap for years and in many of the states I've ridden in.

Posted by the video's uploader in the comment box:

I take it that it might take a while as the rider had no way to display the video of the incident to the responding officers, if any were called. I'm pretty sure once the AG sees this video (which includes audio of one of the riders reading the trucks license plate out loud, along with a description of the truck), that charges will be filed.

You might be unpleasantly surprised there, sadly.

Six things no one told you about owning a motorcycle, the fact that the author is a complete wuss is strangely absent:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19217_6-things-nobody-tells-you-about-owning-motorcycle.html

I was wondering about that since I lurk in this thread and not seen any complaints of spiders.
My car spiders have woken up for the spring it seems though.

I've never encountered any severe arachnid infestations on my bikes, yet.

Not being able to trigger lights sucks. What do you do? Buy and magnet and hope that it works. Or you could write to your state rep/state senator and try and get a law passed that allows bikes to safely proceed through red lights after waiting a certain amount of time.

Yes you do "join a club" in a sense. but is socializing with people about something you enjoy a bad thing? Come on now! Not to mention I have met a ton of cool people after joining a local bike forum.

Becoming invisible? Yeah that happens too. You have to ride like you are invisible. You could also buy hi-viz gear. But some people on the board here have had bad experiences with hi-viz IIRC.

The whole "getting filthy" thing, well yeah, I did own a jacket that got pretty funky, so I threw it out cuz it reeked. I have had to deal with bugs, sleet, snow, and wiper fluid thrown at my faceshield. However I just wipe off the faceshield when I get home.

Does owning a bike make you stupid? No. I always wear a helmet, and I regularly ride in New Hampshire (which has NO helmet law), with a full-face, always. I have never hit triple digit speeds on a bike and don't plan to unless I'm on a closed course. Stunting? No thanks.

Well I am invisible driving in this state. Bright yellow overweight car? No I still get almost hit a lot. I imagine on a bike you might as well be a squirrel, especially with the people trying to run you down on purpose. :|

Six things no one told you about owning a motorcycle, the fact that the author is a complete wuss is strangely absent:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19217_6-things-nobody-tells-you-about-owning-motorcycle.html

1. Arachnids - Yeah, unless you live under a tree or something that's infested with spiders, they typically don't set up shop on your bike unless you don't ride it daily. Also, don't leave your helmet outside overnight unattended as this will cause the thing to degrade at an advanced rate. Usually it's only project bikes dredged out of storage that have spider issues.

2. Signal lights - Fit a Green Light Trigger. Usually problem solved - those that the thing won't trip are so broken that most small cars won't trip it either. My 700 has an earlier version from another company, my 919 is getting a Green Light Trigger HP.

3. Joining a club also has benefits, you need not take a hand off the controls to wave and you can even do a V-for-victory with your fingers off the handgrip.

You don't flip off Vespa riders, you just ignore them. :p

4. Invisibility is already covered. People won't see a fire engine or an ambulance with lights and siren, plow right into them - no chance they're going to see you anyway. Not a heck of a lot difference in a car, actually.

5. Getting filthy - Modern textile gear is washable. No need for it to get funky.

6. Stupid - No, owning a bike does not make you stupid, but it can generate a stupid grin on your face. Riding in Austin (where this douchebag apparently lives) without a helmet is stupid, but the motorcycle doesn't make you do that. :p

Well, a group in Texas is trying to make carrying a passenger on a sportbike illegal. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. In fact, so ridiculous I don't know where to begin.

http://firstladiesoftheroundtable.org/MaloriesLaw.aspx

This has been shot down in the Texas Senate. The author of the bill is the target for primarying next election, by several Texas motorcycle groups. More discussion on it here: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59215

Last edited:
Rossco, what shop was it? How well do you know the mechanic?was he having a bad day, or is he usually unreliable?

Surprisingly, I've seen some pretty good things in Massachusetts (state motto: "turn signals are for Redcoats!") about people looking out for me and generally not cutting me off or killing me. Let's hope I don't jinx myself.

Well, a group in Texas is trying to make carrying a passenger on a sportbike illegal. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. In fact, so ridiculous I don't know where to begin.
That's not really an accurate summary of what they're trying to do. A more accurate summary is that they're trying to enforce special provisions for carrying a passenger on sportbikes, separating sportbikes from other motorcycles.

As far as I can tell, from reading the bit on their page, a basic summary of the restrictions are that both operator and passenger must be 18, and the operator must have had an M license for at least 2 years OR the passenger must ALSO have an M license.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to separate out sportbikes from other motorcycles in this. If riding on the bike of a bike is dangerous, riding on the back of a bike is dangerous. If it isn't, it isn't.

I also distrust any law named after a person. These laws tend to be motivated by emotion and irrationality, rather than a reasonable approach to what should and should not be law.

Rossco, what shop was it? How well do you know the mechanic?was he having a bad day, or is he usually unreliable?

Surprisingly, I've seen some pretty good things in Massachusetts (state motto: "turn signals are for Redcoats!") about people looking out for me and generally not cutting me off or killing me. Let's hope I don't jinx myself.

The shop is a small, local run place that specialized in older Japanese bikes, and general small engine repair. It is my first time dealing with them, in fact it's my first time taking my bike to a mechanic ever. the shop was reccomended to me by a member of my local bike forum.

The best way to describe how he was about explaining the situation to me, was kinda like Gary Cole's character from office space.

"Yeaaah, ummm.... do you by any chance have an extra clutch coverrrr, cause the one we put back on broke."

"Really?"

"Yeaah I might be able to fab something up for ya. I'll let ya know....."

That's not really an accurate summary of what they're trying to do. A more accurate summary is that they're trying to enforce special provisions for carrying a passenger on sportbikes, separating sportbikes from other motorcycles.

As far as I can tell, from reading the bit on their page, a basic summary of the restrictions are that both operator and passenger must be 18, and the operator must have had an M license for at least 2 years OR the passenger must ALSO have an M license.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to separate out sportbikes from other motorcycles in this. If riding on the bike of a bike is dangerous, riding on the back of a bike is dangerous. If it isn't, it isn't.

I also distrust any law named after a person. These laws tend to be motivated by emotion and irrationality, rather than a reasonable approach to what should and should not be law.

See edit and link posted above - it's dead. Also, it is already illegal for someone to transport a passenger on a part of a bike that was not intended to carry passengers, so all this was was stupid feel-good legislation that was badly written to boot.

The shop is a small, local run place that specialized in older Japanese bikes, and general small engine repair. It is my first time dealing with them, in fact it's my first time taking my bike to a mechanic ever. the shop was reccomended to me by a member of my local bike forum.

The best way to describe how he was about explaining the situation to me, was kinda like Gary Cole's character from office space.

"Yeaaah, ummm.... do you by any chance have an extra clutch coverrrr, cause the one we put back on broke."

"Really?"

"Yeaah I might be able to fab something up for ya. I'll let ya know....."

Dude better be replacing the cover for you, not fabbing something up. In fact, I'd call him tomorrow and tell him to NOT fab something up as it will probably be worse, ruin your bike, or both.

Last edited: