The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

See edit and link posted above - it's dead. Also, it is already illegal for someone to transport a passenger on a part of a bike that was not intended to carry passengers, so all this was was stupid feel-good legislation that was badly written to boot.
Yeah, I saw, but not until after I'd hit post. And even though the bill is dead, I still think it's fair and valid to call out inaccurate, inflammatory summaries.

I agree that this legislation was stupid feel-good legislation.

It's especially irritating since, even if you (the theoretical and generic you, not you specifically) accept the truly flawed premises that sportbike owners are exceedingly likely to tend to transport passengers on portions not intended for such use and that the prospective passenger has no responsibility for their conduct, in consensus reality it isn't sportbikes you see running around two-up on a solo saddle. It's cruisers/Harleys running two up on a solo rig 99% of the time and honestly seeing that on any bike at all is rare - not least of which because it's damned uncomfortable.

Fortunately it'll be 2013 at the earliest before they can even propose this again. Thank god for part time legislatures. equiraptor, can I count on you to support the opponent of the author either in the primary or the general? That's what I'll be doing - such stupidity should be rewarded - especially since apparently this is the jerkass and bill that got the lane-sharing bill bottled up in the House Public Safety committee this year.

Last edited:
Hate to double post, but... Behold!

IMG_0091.JPG

Tutoro chain oiler, eh? At least it will make you hate chain drive a little bit less...

So what else is next for the 919? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say hard cases, right? If so, what kind do you have in mind? Givi? Hepco's?

Tutoro chain oiler, eh? At least it will make you hate chain drive a little bit less...

So what else is next for the 919? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say hard cases, right? If so, what kind do you have in mind? Givi? Hepco's?

Crash bars are next, actually. Aside from the protection they'll give, they'll also give me a stable place to mount the GoPro.

It will be getting bags, though I haven't decided from who yet. It'll be the hideaway SW-Motech mounts, though.

Last edited:
Well, I found a replacement for the shadow!

:banana:

Bought it today, should be picking it up tomorrow.

5762892505_53b7e6f16f.jpg

Sure, it's not the nicest or most sophisticated bike, but I got it for a great price! I can't wait to finally get riding again!

Nice!
Any resolution for the clutch cover fiasco?

Spot the chain oiler:

IMG_0113.JPG

Answer:
Sadly, the 919 doesn't have suitable rear frame trusses to strap the oiler to, so I took the suggestion of a Brit Hornet 600 rider and attached it to the rear foot peg stanchion on the left side.

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

Last edited:
How hard was the installation?

How hard was the installation?

I accidentally ordered my oiler without the P-clips (the metal band covered in rubber you see in the pictures, basically a conduit or cable clamp) so I had to go get some from the local home destruction store. If you ask, they include them for free and I forgot to ask. I also picked up longer stainless steel hex key bolts to allow me to mount the oiler to the back of the existing peg mount. No drilling, tapping or anything like that required.

IMG_0108.JPG

If you have a bike with round stanchions out back, you could get away with zip-tying it to those frame members as demonstrated in the Tutoro gallery. I didn't have that option, so I tried the footpeg rather than the other ubiquitous install which is behind the license plate. At that, I just needed a 10mm socket, associated ratchet, hex key for the stock and replacement bolts, and that was all the tools required for my special install. The rest is all zipties (included), which is all the installation method would be for a more traditionally framed bike (no tools required in that case.)

The hardest part of it was deciding where to route the hose, followed by getting the oil nozzles properly oriented and finally discovering how many turns of the knob equaled 1 pair of drips per minute (about 1.3 or so for my setup) per the instructions. Actually, getting the metering right was what took the longest time; it was physically installed in less than 20 minutes and took a little more than 20 to determine flow rates.

Edit: Part 1 of the full review and install write up is over here.

Edit 2: Technically, I have now made my bike British, as it now leaks oil (albeit in a controlled manner to lubricate the chain.) :p :mrgreen: However, unlike a real BritBike, I can turn the leak off and continue to ride without issue. :D

Last edited:
1. Arachnids - Yeah, unless you live under a tree or something that's infested with spiders, they typically don't set up shop on your bike unless you don't ride it daily. Also, don't leave your helmet outside overnight unattended as this will cause the thing to degrade at an advanced rate. Usually it's only project bikes dredged out of storage that have spider issues.

Ask me how I know :p

Well, I found a replacement for the shadow!

:banana:

Bought it today, should be picking it up tomorrow.

5762892505_53b7e6f16f.jpg

Sure, it's not the nicest or most sophisticated bike, but I got it for a great price! I can't wait to finally get riding again!

I had a black 2000 model of that bike. It's not sophisticated, but it's definitely a good bike. Air/oil cooled, carbureted and a 5.3 gallon gas tank good for around 250 miles. I was never fond of the headlight (high beam on one side, low on the other) or the fact that my legs were too short and I would often find myself pressed up against the gas tank. Other than that, it was a fairly good bike. It's not a rocketship, but it's not slow. 0-60 is less than 5 seconds and it will do 50mph in first. Mid-range isn't so good, but you can cure that problem by downshifting.

In other motorbike news, remember that kid in NH who tried to run the motorcyclist off the road? Well stupidity must be spreading because now some idiot in the south (Kentucky?) tried to do the same thing, and it got caught on video!

From another forum and apparently in the video comments.

The pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. If convicted of all charges the pickup driver could get up to 24 years in jail. That's unlikely but he will likely see a felony conviction and jail time for his life threatening antics.

That guy should just be hung from one of those telephone poles, his body left to rot and be picked apart by birds as a warning for anyone else who wants to do something like that.

Last edited:
As if there's anything wrong with chain drive.

As if I'm not considering a chain oiler ...

That guy should just be hung from one of those telephone polls, his body left to rot and be picked apart by birds as a warning for anyone else who wants to do something like that.
Seeing videos like that, on a road that's so similar to one I ride on a weekly basis, makes me consider carrying when I ride. Better perhaps to spend the money on a GoPro though.

Good to see the asshat is getting his.

and an interesting read on the Ural

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/world/europe/29sidecar.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
Neat article, I'd like to give a Ural a spin. This somewhat unrelated bit struck me though:
(despite increased interest) Harley is discontinuing sidecar production.
Color me not surprised. It wouldn't surprise me if Harley has a market demographic that's aging faster than Buick's. But will they embrace something that older riders may prefer? Fuuuuck no. Goddamn, I genuinely hope they go bankrupt.

As if there's anything wrong with chain drive.

As if I'm not considering a chain oiler ...

:lol: Field testing is proceeding apace. I am really liking it - got 120+ miles on it so far and it's one of the cleanest chains I've ever seen despite driving through construction sites and other dusty areas.

Seeing videos like that, on a road that's so similar to one I ride on a weekly basis, makes me consider carrying when I ride. Better perhaps to spend the money on a GoPro though.

They're not mutually exclusive. CJ and I have a longish run into the rural sectors tomorrow and there will be both an XD45 and a GoPro 960HD coming along for the ride.

Last edited:
:lol: Field testing is proceeding apace. I am really liking it so far - got 120+ miles on it so far and it's one of the cleanest chains I've ever seen despite driving through construction sites and other dusty areas.
Good stuff, I look forward too some longer term reviews. Glad you didn't zip tie it on too; that's what I would've done. :lol: No really, I spent nearly an hour cleaning up my chain, sprockets and swing arm last weekend ... then I rode over 500 miles this weekend (even going through Joplin holy fuck, MO) and now they're getting funky again. Something that kept it all clean would be real nice.

They're not mutually exclusive. CJ and I have a longish run into the rural sectors tomorrow and there will be both an XD45 and a GoPro 960HD coming along for the ride.
Ha, I know it's not for you guys. But I haven't even fired a gun (other than skeet shooting) since deer season ended here in December. So shooting in self-defense isn't something that ever really crosses my mind. Being reminded of shit like that though, damn. I'll be thinking on it.