The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I came.

Anyhow thinking about things up thread: If Triumph made a Steve McQueen special, shouldn't they make a special for the most popular of Triumph riders? The Fonzi Special Edition. :p

I came.

Anyhow thinking about things up thread: If Triumph made a Steve McQueen special, shouldn't they make a special for the most popular of Triumph riders? The Fonzi Special Edition. :p

James Dean and Marlon Brando rode them too. (I had to look up the Fonz to check this out) But wouldn't the special be called the Winkler? Just doesn't sound quite right. :dunno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR5_Trophy

I came.

Fonzi couldn't ride worth a damn. The only time you see him actually riding during the show is the opening credits. The crew ran alongside to get him up, he managed to keep it up for less than a minute before crashing. You will see him get on and off the bike, but you never actually see him ride outside the opening credits.

Henry Winkler couldn't ride, Fonzi could. :p

Celebrations, my bike is running, horribly but running. :p Despite a couple fuel leaks I was able to get it to idle right off the bat. Now I can start tuning.

And yes Spectre there is still opportunity for me to burst into flames. :p

Nice box of parts for my KZ came in today, new brake pads/shoes and general tune up stuff. And we're getting freezing rain. If that's some kind of omen I'm going to ignore it.

I also don't share you brake problems since I've got triple discs, the GL stops just fine. :p
:shakefist: Hell, despite the 200lb weight disadvantage your GL probably handles better than my KZ. I'm running some ancient tubed bias-ply's (Dunlops, I think) at the moment.

Henry Winkler couldn't ride, Fonzi could. :p
:lol: That's exactly what I was going to post.

250px-Fonz_Pic.PNG

Last edited:
Went for a ride with a friend earlier today. Pulled out of the storage facility where we kept our bikes and as we turned to the road and getting up to speed I let the clutch out slowly and rolled on the throttle...and the engine would stutter and almost die. I was like WTF. So I pulled in clutch and tried again....and the engine died. A second later I realized that I had forgotten to turn the fuel valve to the ON position. *DOH* I was stalled on the right lane while I turned fuel valve on and the cars behind had to pull around and I had to wait for the next light cycle. Well, everyday you learn something....but that was quite embarrassing. That is when I love having all my gear on...no one can see my face or know who I am...ha!

Last edited:
Went for a ride with a friend earlier today. Pulled out of the storage facility where we kept our bikes and as we turned to the road and getting up to speed I let the clutch out slowly and rolled on the throttle...and the engine would stutter and almost die. I was like WTF. So I pulled in clutch and tried again....and the engine died. A second later I realized that I had forgotten to turn the fuel valve to the ON position. *DOH* I was stalled on the right lane while I turned fuel valve on and the cars behind had to pull around and I had to wait for the next light cycle. Well, everyday you learn something....but that was quite embarrassing. That is when I love having all my gear on...no one can see my face or know who I am...ha!

We've all been there. My personal best herp derp moment was when I spent about an hour trying to start my 500 right after I installed the carbs with the fuel switched off. Several times I was thinking that maybe the fuel was off, but before checking I dismissed that thought thinking no way I could have forgotten to do something so basic.

I rode with the choke on for a good 30 minutes in my first motorcycle.
I kept wondering why it was sluggish to overtake. :lol:

:lol: I used to forget to turn the fuel on all the time when I had my little XL250. I could go a few miles on just the fuel in the line and carb bowl with that thing, so it always seemed to shut off in the worst places. Usually that was stopped somewhere on campus, me kicking the fuck out of it, fiddling with the choke, with everyone streaming out of buildings to witness my fail. That happened a few times.

It's amazing just how far a small motorcycle will go on what's left in the fuel bowl(s) after you turn the petcock off.

My best herp derp moment was that when I was riding my father's Yamaha cruiser shortly after I got my big bike license (I was 19) and left the fuel switch on reserve after refueling. Took the bike out in the morning for a day-long ride, it ran out of gas after a short while, I switched to reserve, stopped at a gas station, filled it up and forgot about the fuel switch. So I rode around all day until the bike spluttered to a halt. No worries, I'll just switch it to reserve and fill up at the nearest gas station. Right. I was left in the middle of the countryside, with no gas station in sight, so I pushed the bike to the nearest village (all 260kgs of it). Called my dad, who had come to my rescue with some more fuel after like two hours, needless to say he wasn't amused. I never forgot to have the switch in the correct position since :D.

Last edited:
My best herp derp moment was that when I was riding my father's Yamaha cruiser shortly after I got my big bike license (I was 19) and left the fuel switch on reserve after refueling. Took the bike out in the morning for a day-long ride, it ran out of gas after a short while, I switched to reserve, stopped at a gas station, filled it up and forgot about the fuel switch. So I rode around all day until the bike spluttered to a halt. No worries, I'll just switch it to reserve and fill up at the nearest gas station. Right. I was left in the middle of the countryside, with no gas station in sight, so I pushed the bike to the nearest village (all 260kgs of it). Called my dad, who had come to my rescue with some more fuel after like two hours, needless to say he wasn't amused. Never forgot to have the switch in the right positions afterwards :D.

Hammond did pretty much that with the Black Shadow in the 1949 race. Except his mount sucked up some trash from the tank and had to have the carb dismantled. :p

don't assume since it happened to you, i won't ever happen again
we learn from our mistakes, but we also forget what we have learned :lol:

We've all been there. My personal best herp derp moment was when I spent about an hour trying to start my 500 right after I installed the carbs with the fuel switched off. Several times I was thinking that maybe the fuel was off, but before checking I dismissed that thought thinking no way I could have forgotten to do something so basic.

i once took of my cylinders only to come to the conclusion i had run out of fuel :oops:

Hooray for motorcycles with fuel gauges. :mrgreen:

It's amazing just how far a small motorcycle will go on what's left in the fuel bowl(s) after you turn the petcock off.
Indeed. When I first bought the thing the carb was a little leaky, but it would still go 4-5 blocks with the fuel off after sitting all night. Probably running off of fumes in the carb or something. :lol:

I do miss that thing. 65-75mpg and the ability to go anywhere was nice.

I think I've become infected with Squidliitis. I'm looking at GSX-R1000s, and have this extreme urge to go out and buy one as my first bike, and a strange aversion to gear.

Okay, not really. I actually have active brain cells...

I still want a big Gixxer at some point, though...

In other news, details of the MV Agusta F3 675 and Brutale 675 have been released...

Last edited:
It would shortly become your last bike too. :p