The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

:|

I wonder how much a nice RS250/125 would cost...

compared to similar bikes, a lot! the RS250 has a real cult around it, and they made them until 2004, yet you can't get any spare parts no more :\
so yeah, if you want an RS250, get out the monies! (same with a suzuki RGV250)

compared to similar bikes, a lot! the RS250 has a real cult around it, and they made them until 2004, yet you can't get any spare parts no more :\
so yeah, if you want an RS250, get out the monies! (same with a suzuki RGV250)

Interesting.

Ever rode one? I only ever seen one, they?re really rare here.

one of my friends has 2 prepped for circuit, and another one has an RGV that's tuned so much he averages 2 laps before the engine seizes :lol:

they both have other, big bikes for on the road, but they keep going to the track with their 250, and on the twisty ones, drive everyone home...

On second thought, I think I'll just ship my CB550F out here.

Yeah, the CB550F will be fine for canyon carving (though if you live more than 5 minutes away you'll be in pain long before you get to them), but the VFR is genuinely, seriously, utterly better at pretty much everything.

Last edited:
Yeah, the CB550F will be fine for canyon carving (though if you live more than 5 minutes away you'll be in pain long before you get to them), but the VFR is genuinely, seriously, utterly better at pretty much everything.

Also, you need more bikes.

I'm eyeing the Interceptor as my possible next/2nd bike. Love the looks and it's overall well-roundedness. A quick side-track here, but when generally speaking is a new rider ready to upgrade to the next step? I've got about 700 miles and 1month of riding time on my CB750 and should I have least 2-3 years and at least 10,000+miles before I'm even contemplating stepping it up?

I'm thinking about the latest gen VFR800 (2002-2009?). A local Honda dealer just got one on trade-in it looks like: http://www.shawneecycleplaza.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=228602&Used=1&
d6fbb717-c0d2-4a77-bf97-eaacf6789858.jpg

Honestly, I would try for a 5th gen VFR. I had the option of getting a 6th gen, but I liked the 5th better. It's a decision I don't regret.

General rule of thumb is at least 6 months and preferably 6000+ miles of daily or near-daily riding before upgrading.

:+1:

Another benefit of waiting is that you can get a better idea of your riding style and what bikes can better suit said riding style.

I bought my Suzuki Bandit (my current ride) because I found out from riding my Honda Shadow (my old ride) about the kinda riding I enjoyed. I knew when it came time to purchase a new bike that I wanted something that would make a comfortable commuter (upright riding position), a good twisty carver (decent suspension, brakes) and can be set up for touring (wind protection, availability of Hard bags).

If you like a good reliable rig that can be a good commuter vehicle on Monday, a competent corner carver on funday, and can be easily set up for touring, then the VFR is for you.

Some highlights from the (disappointingly small) 2011 Dallas International Motorcycle Show are now up.

Gixxers really are girls' bikes, who knew? :lol: :p :mrgreen:
IMG_1928.JPG

Last edited:
Dear Petrus,

please send a real winter to Western Germany soon. I don't want to regret putting my bike into winter hibernation.

Thanks,
Dan

I may save up for a newer (cooler :cool:) bike in a few months, but I'd just love to have the CB550F here. It's mah baby. :wub:

Maybe I'll double my budget in a year or so and save up $6k for a Street Triple, or something vaguely reliable? I'm just thinking out loud here.

If you get a Street Triple you can store it at my place, leave the keys in case I need to... leave the keys. :p

After driving up to Buttonwillow this weekend, 2 hours away through the freezing Grapevine, I think Bakersfield is too damn far. So I think I'll take a look at this instead...

Always had a soft spot for the FZRs. Twin headlights are ballin' as hell. And the mileage is...wait, what?

Only 150K miles? That sure is low for a bike that is 818 years old.

No wonder we are behind the Japanese.