The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Yay for SVs...though straight cut gears sure sound good too.

Is it just me, or is motorcycle insurance expensive as hell in CA? Just got a quote and I'd be paying twice what I'd pay for in New York State. Cue Spectre's tiresome anti-California rant, please.

Is it just me, or is motorcycle insurance expensive as hell in CA? Just got a quote and I'd be paying twice what I'd pay for in New York State. Cue Spectre's tiresome anti-California rant, please.

Well, you are living in a city, albeit on the outskirts. Lane-splitting is legal there, which if the rider isn't skilled at it, can be dangerous.

Those are my guesses.

All of a sudden, I want a CX500:

:D

Ok, CX 650 it is. I think I'm going to pick up the bike spectre brought my attention to first though, something to work on and learn to ride. Then CX 650 cafe racer. Then RC51. Then many more.

Ok, CX 650 it is. I think I'm going to pick up the bike spectre brought my attention to first though, something to work on and learn to ride. Then CX 650 cafe racer. Then death.

Fixed that for you. :p

Yeah, cafe racers were almost always about style over substance after a while...

Do eet! Also, I've only ever bought moto insurance in Northern California, but to be honest, the insurance prices for me at least turned out to be the same in Utah. Weird.

Last edited:
Part of me is thinking of wrapping my headers. Do they become dirt magnets and disgusting?

Oh, they get disgusting quickly. And if you have any fluid leaks, they become a fire hazzard.

They look fucking awesome, however.

Dirt can be cleaned off, you pussies. But the rust issue?unless you're wrapping headers that are already rusty and corroded, the issue of condensation should be fine for the most part. I know I ceramic coated my headers for about 80 bucks before I wrapped them, which should be ok.

Ceramic coating would be of great benefit.

Got my ugly duckling out of hibernation yesterday.
Front brake was stuck but started right away.
200 kilometers to charge the battery and get aquainted again. I certainly needed it.
At first I missed some power, but after the kilometers went by I remembered to use the amount I have.

Last edited:
Gonna take a look at some low-mileage SV650s tomorrow. Also on Sunday, another SV (this one's grey) and a 2000 VFR800F4i, which Blind shall be pleased to hear about. It's got a paltry 41,000 miles on it.

Blind is pleased.

You seemed to like riding mine when you were here, I hope you find a nice one.

Edit: That 99 sure is pretty.

Last edited:
Gonna be looking at this one this afternoon.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2871134999.html

It's got a few aftermarket parts on it, and high miles. I sat on another one yesterday that was absolutely mint?it was about an inch or two too tall for me, so I'm hoping the Corbin seat will improve that for me.

I've all but ruled out SVs for now. A little on the pricey side for what I get...

The regulator-rectifier, suspension and corbin are fantastic upgrades. The other stuff is certainly nice too. I would love to have that bike and I completely approve. Don't worry so much about the miles, the VFR is a bomb-proof design and can hit 100K and need nothing more than a minor valve adjustment. I've heard of guys putting over 250K on their VFRs and still not having a single breakdown.

One thing I really like is the tinted double-bubble windscreen Tiff bought me, it really updates the look of the bike and gives you a tad more wind protection.

So, did taking my bike for a spin have any impact on you looking at VFRs?