The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Same. Were it not a terribad idea to buy a new bike as one's first bike, I'd be looking into it seriously. So purdy!

Same. Were it not a terribad idea to buy a new bike as one's first bike, I'd be looking into it seriously. So purdy!

Technically it wouldn?t be my first, but it?s been 8 years since my last one so I thought it might be a good idea to start on something tamer than the last one, a Suzuki Katana 750. :lol:

:lol: I'm looking at that gorgeous bodywork and cringing at the thought of dropping it and having it all crack...

I bought this fat pig this month. Replacing my Versys 650. I swapped my Trax panniers and Garmin Zumo 665 over to this bike. I just mounted a Pelican 1500 full of tools to the back, and I plan on adding lugs to the pelican for my trax topbox for longer trips. I use this to travel between El Paso and Houston. When I'm in El Paso I use it to tour to offroad in the Capitan Mountains and Chihuahua Desert. The KLE650 Verys kind of sucked in the 80 mph+ zone between San Antonio and El Paso. This is a '12 R1200 GSA, the 8.7 gal adventure tank adds a lot of piece of mind when it comes to fuel stop roulette.

ee54018f.jpg

Beemer at the beach.

5c19dd34.jpg

New rear topcase.

465bd9e9.jpg

My Versys and my friend's KLR

42370c0d.jpg

My Versys with my friend's KLR broke down in the background 160 miles outside of El Paso (it ate all it's own oil, and he didn't think to check that)

Last edited:
I dig the BMW and the Umbrella Corp. sticker. The KLR is a bit notorious of burning oil, but it varies greatly from bike to bike. It's best to check it every week.

Why would that be a bad idea? Cause you're going to drop it? Says who? I bought my kawa brand new, as my first big bike.
I did drop it, but after 2 years of trouble free driving. It's not a rule you know. ;)

Why would that be a bad idea? Cause you're going to drop it? Says who? I bought my kawa brand new, as my first big bike.
I did drop it, but after 2 years of trouble free driving. It's not a rule you know. ;)

Yet you did drop it in the end. ;)

Also, have you been to Los Angeles? I should probably be committed to a mental health institution just for wanting to ride here. I'm pretty much guaranteed to see damage to my bikes over time, and especially my first one.

Also, I don't really want to spend more than $2k, because eventually I'll want something nicer, and I'm sure depreciation on this will suck.

Part of me still wants it, though...

Now we?re talking, much better choice for a first bike! :lol:

Eh, I've known plenty of people that have yet to drop a bike. I think sometimes experienced bikers like to throw this around as a superiority complex thing. Flip side, sometimes it just happens. One of the salesman at the Triumph dealership managed to hold up a Rocket III and catch another rider and her toppling Sprint. Later that winter he dumped his Speed Triple with a simple case of butterfingers. Shit happens, a good understanding of vehicle handling and a humble ego will see you a long way. And there are a lot of squids on R6s that have done 30,000 miles filed with douchebaggery that still have yet to dump it.

That said - you are doing the right thing investing in gear and buying a used bike because the statistics are against you.

Folks, John Belushi isn't dead. Turns out he's alive and well and making bike commercials in Eastern Europe! :lol:

...Please don't ever post turbo folk of my people again, or I'll be forced to hunt you down and kill you. :barf:

Unrelatedly, it seems that EX500s in decent condition just about always fetch over $2k. I guess I'll peg my budget at $2500? The market won't go down until September...

...Please don't ever post turbo folk of my people again, or I'll be forced to hunt you down and kill you. :barf:

Unrelatedly, it seems that EX500s in decent condition just about always fetch over $2k. I guess I'll peg my budget at $2500? The market won't go down until September...

Don't forget to also search for "Ninja 500" as well as "Ninga 500" as well as Ninja and Ninga with no numbers after.

I've been using "ex500", "500r", and "ninja 500" so far. No results for "ninga", so I'm not terribly worried, though I'll definitely keep in mind just "ninja" as well once I'm actively looking to make a purchase.

As Der Stigand CrazyJeeper can tell you, "Ninga" is a common CL misspelling and often you can get good deals from people that do that.

"NINGA"

Really?

:lol:

I must refrain from making a racist joke. :p

"NINGA"

Really?

:lol:

I must refrain from making a racist joke. :p

Yes, really. :rolleyes:

However, you can get the best deals from people who can't spell. I bought my XJ6 from someone who couldn't spell Jaguar properly, despite it being spelt out on the back of the car itself - "Jagar," sheesh.

Last edited: