The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

And no lessons were learned.... http://jalopnik.com/5952473/my-severely-busted-ass-is-why-you-dont-wear-jeans-on-a-motorcycle (some nsfw pictures)
TL;DR version, dude goes down on a bike because of road debris, gets seriously hurt because he was wearing jeans, decides to wear jeans anyways...

yeah I just saw that, not sure what to think except that I'm glad I bought pants this week, so now I should have the essentials... although my bike is still down for the count...

Today someone who didn't know how the VFR's brakes worked until he looked it up tried to tell me it is a dangerous design. Why no, he doesn't own one and as far as I know has never ridden one, but I am sure he knows way more about it than I do.

Even in full gear it can be bad:

200729_305114156252554_1949994684_n.jpg

Not all gear and not all crashes are equal.

Damn, is that you in the pic, Caro? If it is, then heal up soon!

Nope, not me. ;) Guy from the picture gave up bikes after that crash.

I put my xr down last night in belding. I was pushing it.. I fell asleep while riding. I work third shift and the only day off i have is sat. I was up since about 5pm fri and went to hang out with some guys that restore old mopeds about 75miles away from my place in gowen. We are talking about 50 or so mopeds and small bikes riding in a group. pretty cool if you ask me, But anyway. I wanted to get home and it was about midnight. I was about 50miles from home when i nodded out and hit a curb. The last time i seen the speedo i was doing about 60. I woke up in the front yard of some duplex. Im ok.. just really REALLY sore. My helmet is broke, Like busted the whole chin guard. Hell, all it did to the bike is rip a blinker off and bend a peg mount. But, i have a sprained wrist i think and my hip and head hurt bad. I flagged down a car with the headlight and they called the cops. I was in shock and concussed pretty bad and all i wanted is help getting the bike upright. still kinda shaky. Im glad im not dead.. If i didnt have a helmet on i would have been killed. The cops showed me where i went down and i must have slid and flipped about 100ft. Im super lucky.

I have a new respect for the proper gear while riding. I will never ride without a helmet again.
I'll post some pics of my thumpers and the busted helmet in a day or so.

Mike

Last edited:
Holy moly Zookie!

Glad that you're relativley ok!

Thanks man,Me too.
My parents were super freaked out. Im still really kind of set back from the whole deal

Re: The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

You should never ride without a helmet in the first place, but if that crash makes you learn that lesson, I'm glad .

Speedy recoveries to you. I'm glad you had the gear!

Your experience is absolute proof of the protective power of modern motorcycle gear. I would hold on to that helmet if I were you, as a reminder to yourself and to show others how much it helps.

Life is too short to not wear good gear.

you fell asleep while riding your bike??
i don't think i've ever been that tired :shock:

The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I put my xr down last night in belding. I was pushing it.. I fell asleep while riding. I work third shift and the only day off i have is sat. I was up since about 5pm fri and went to hang out with some guys that restore old mopeds about 75miles away from my place in gowen. We are talking about 50 or so mopeds and small bikes riding in a group. pretty cool if you ask me, But anyway. I wanted to get home and it was about midnight. I was about 50miles from home when i nodded out and hit a curb. The last time i seen the speedo i was doing about 60. I woke up in the front yard of some duplex. Im ok.. just really REALLY sore. My helmet is broke, Like busted the whole chin guard. Hell, all it did to the bike is rip a blinker off and bend a peg mount. But, i have a sprained wrist i think and my hip and head hurt bad. I flagged down a car with the headlight and they called the cops. I was in shock and concussed pretty bad and all i wanted is help getting the bike upright. still kinda shaky. Im glad im not dead.. If i didnt have a helmet on i would have been killed. The cops showed me where i went down and i must have slid and flipped about 100ft. Im super lucky.

Ouch, no fun. Did you get checked out by the medics, at least? Even if you did, you should go get checked out by your doctor, if your head and hip hurt like that.

Wow... glad to hear you are relatively OK and I'm with Spectre on this get checked out by your doct just to be on the safe side.

Another bike to add to me "possible future motorcycle" list: Triumph Tiger Explorer

A bike like this, along with a standard for in-town riding would be absolutely ideal for me - but it will remain a day dream for quite a while longer.

Last edited:
And that would be no problem because you definitely don't want to buy one until they get their terrible immobilizer problems sorted out. They suffer from the same problem that Jeremy's Ford GT did - the English designed (factory in the case of the Triumph, aftermarket in the case of the GT) immobilizer won't let the vehicle start even with the correct key/fob/etc, and will stall in the middle of operation.

Thread laced with failure reports: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731205

And this poor guy: http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,2592.0.html

Last edited: