The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

:lol: , the way I do it with the bucket, when I have the bike tilted against me (on it's stand and front wheel), I reach over the bike with my right hand, and tilt the bucket so it is actually in place against the bottom of the bike, and then I just push the bike back upright, with the bucket already in place.

They diagnosed the no-idling problem and are replacing the ECU. It'll take a week to arrive.

ITALIANS GONNA ITALIAN

Last edited:
They diagnosed the no-idling problem and are replacing the ECU. It'll take a week to arrive.

ITALIANS GONNA ITALIAN

You did remember to look into an extended warranty, right? :p

Which I did. After half an hour of trying and a coke crate that got progressively more dirty and warped I resigned. No way in hell that I'd be able to do it the way in the video - I can't even get the rear off the ground at all. Tipping it over the kickstand and front wheel was slightly more successfull, but I only managed to get it precariously sitting on the edge of the crate. Again I couldn't lift it enough to get it properly in the middle.
So either I'm too much of a wimp to do it or too daft to replicate the proper technique. Either way, screw this shit. :p

I have one of those platform jacks. I highly recommend them. I've used mine to do the tires on my XRL and XRR and it worked perfectly.

IMG_2055-L.jpg

I've got one of those at my parents' house. I lashed my CB550F to it for half a year.

Gave it another try this morning before heading off to work, and success! \o/

XfLft4P.jpg

I think the problem yesterday was with my technique. I tried to get it upright by rotating it over the kickstand, which caused the crate to squeezed out between the floor and bike. Whereas this time I gave it more of an upwards push to get it upright, which made the bike pivot around the edge of the crate.

Last edited:
I recently discovered that the XT is overdue for its bianual T?V exam, which should've been done in Febuary already. Ooops.
Anyway, both tires are pretty close to or already at the wear limit. They're Metzeler Tourances and were already on the bike when I bought it, and since I didn't find anything wrong with them I'd just go for them again. So I looked around the net, found a tire discount chain that even has a location nearby where the set'd be around 130?, with 10? for fitting the tires per wheel. If you bring the unmounted wheel, they won't touch the bike itself.
Since I don't have a jack to prop the bike up with both wheels off I went to a nearby mechanic, who wanted 220? for the same tires+fitting. Uhmm... no thanks. For that kind of money I could just buy a hydraulic jack like this and take the dismounted wheels to the other place, leaving me with a tool I'll be able to reuse. So that's what I'll do, I guess.

Having used those in the past, be very careful with it. I would recommend a good set of track stands instead, they are more stable and easier to use by yourself than that jack - and I've had both.

I need a new rear tyre too. Can you do that with my 250 kg CBF? :D

If you sign a legally binding form that frees me from any resposibility from possibly resulting damages... :p But to be serious, we could try. I don't think the weight is too much of a problem, at least not if go at it with two people. But I'm a bit unsure how well this method would work with a bike that has lower ground clearance. Then again, that problem should be fixable if you just use something lower as a stand. :think:

With all that said, doesn't your bike have a center stand? :blink:
Edit: just checked the pics of your bike, indeed you do have a center stand, although it doesn't seem to give too much clearance for the rear wheel. Still, should be doable without an additional stand.
Plus, seems like your exhaust is lower than the frame or engine, so the crate method is right out anyway - if you tried to prop it up in that location you'd only flatten the exhaust pipes.

Last edited:
Plus, seems like your exhaust is lower than the frame or engine, so the crate method is right out anyway - if you tried to prop it up in that location you'd only flatten the exhaust pipes.

When I took my Hornet to the tyre shop last year the guy working there actually tried to lift up my bike using a regular car jack, it didn't occur to him it might not be a good idea to jack it up on the exhaust pipe/catalytic converter. Luckily I always stay near the bike when I bring it in somewhere.
And just a few months ago when I brought in my Tiger there to replace both tyres they ended up tightening the front wheel way too much. So much that it induced heavy vibrations at speed. When I took it to my dealer to have it looked at they couldn't even loosen the axle nut with an air tool and had to resort to a breaker bar with a 1 meter long pipe on it for leverage. I don't think I'm going to take my bike there anymore. :<

But to be serious, we could try.
A closer look at my bike revealed that I desperately need two new tyres, and new brake pads at the rear at least. I really should pay more attention to things like that.

Anyway, a neighbour recommended me a small garage in Bochum. I'll try for an estimate with them in the next few days, and with Heinen for comparison...

You people with your center stands! <_<

So I just went out and upgraded my crate stand. Wait, what? How could you possible improve on that?! Well, I'll glady tell you! Obviously it wasn't ghetto enough! But that nothing that couldn't be fixed with some cheap wood sheets and friggin huge zip ties.

2014-04-03_19.45.24.jpg

Oh yeah, much better!

A closer look at my bike revealed that I desperately need two new tyres, and new brake pads at the rear at least. I really should pay more attention to things like that.

Anyway, a neighbour recommended me a small garage in Bochum. I'll try for an estimate with them in the next few days, and with Heinen for comparison...

Brake pads at least should be super simple to do yourself. I could give you a hand if you want.

Make sure you don't ruin the bolt that holds the pads. Half of Schmalkalden can still remember the day I made a circle out of a hexagon.

Speaking of which, I need to get some pit bulls for maintenance. Or I could be the stereotypical Ducati owner and drop it off at the shop for every small matter. :lol:

A buddy from high school just bought a Ninja 300 ABS to take full advantage of CA's allowance of lane splitting. I am alternating between jealously looking at the photo he posted and looking at my monthly expenditures trying to cut out stuff to make way for running costs for a bike I'd like to have.

A buddy from high school just bought a Ninja 300 ABS to take full advantage of CA's allowance of lane splitting. I am alternating between jealously looking at the photo he posted and looking at my monthly expenditures trying to cut out stuff to make way for running costs for a bike I'd like to have.

ZoolanderDoIt.gif