The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Hmmm. He starts out, "I am going to be careful and avoid pushing things" to, "But I have to ride the canyons because I live there and I am with a group that takes it easy". Now he is an expert in showing how others screwed up with a couple/few thousands miles riding.

If you want to get in the pool, let me know.

Bad joke in poor taste, no betting pool here.

Can I take "Wrecked, no serious injuries, 6 months or sooner?" What's the buy-in?

All proceeds to the Ring Meet Beer Fund?

Hyosung makes a full size bike with a 250 motor and it looks damned good.

There is no talking to this guy. He is also an antivaxxer, so I intensely dislike him on principal.

That does it. I hereby move that his title be changed to "Manos: Handz of Fate"

First of all 2,000 miles is nothing.

2,000 miles is nothing, I will agree with you on that. I am just trying to enjoy riding. Hope you understand that.

Second: don't let anyone else set the pace. Ride your own ride or risk getting "towed" into a corner you can't handle.

Thanks for this comment. I have had this in my mind everyday. When i get passed on the freeway by lane splitters i just think to myself "Ride at my own pace". I just keep it slow and easy.

Third: That bolded section is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. And that's as a former cruiser, now sport and sport touring rider who lived in California.

This is very true. Cyclists are in high numbers in Los Angeles and Orange County. Other parts of CA are different, but cyclists get hit by cars every day in LA and OC. There was a study taken that shows that drivers are most likely to drive most aggressively around cyclists that where helmets. Drivers don't see cyclists and clip them.... its sad, and they can get hurt alot more than a motorcyclist because they are wearing less gear.

I will stand by my statement that in my part of the world, the rear risk in riding on 2 wheels (bicycle and motorcycle) is not falling off due to rider error, but getting hit by a car due to driver error.

Does anyone think that more people crash on that turn of The Snake now due to the number of crash videos out there?

Handz,

Sorry to break it to you, but your assumption is easily checked because the CDC and NHTSA track motorcycle crashes. Let's have a look.

4,612 riders died in 2011, which is a 2% increase over 2010, but once you subtract off road bikes, quads, minibikes, mopeds and scooters you are left with 4,323 motorcycle fatalities. However, the number of registered motorcycles increased 5% over the same time period.

Injuries were down from 82,000 to 81,000 over that period.

40% of all fatalities were the result of a collision with another vehicle - 2,449 incidents. That means 60% of all fatalities were single-vehicle crashes only involving the rider - not exactly "most".
Only 6% of those fatal incidents were the motorcycle being hit from behind.

More than 42% (1,998) of motorcyclists in 2011 were killed in two vehicle accident and 38% (757) of these were the result of another vehicle turning left in front of the motorcycle that was either going straight, passing or overtaking another vehicle.

Of all motorcycle deaths in 2011, 35% (1,614) were the direct result of the rider speeding.

Riders of bikes with 501-1000cc engines accounted for 39% of all 2011 fatalities and also represented the highest increase of overall fatalities (25%) from when NHTSA first started recording this information in 2002. (so if you were really concerned about stats you would get a 500cc or smaller)

Drinking and riding is a significant problem with Texas and Florida leading the nation in drunk motorcycle fatalities. There are a bunch of different stats on this, but essentially, a crap ton of these fatalities and injuries are the result of impaired riding - about 42% of single-vehicle crashes and 33% overall.

40% of fatalities were cases without a helmet.

The most common type of multivehicle crash is a car making a left turn in front of the rider. With vigilance and defensive riding this is an avoidable crash most of the time. By the way, we call this a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You). Don't speed in areas where there are driveways and cross streets is a good place to start.

The next is a single vehicle crash due to road surface conditions, such as gravel, water, sand, etc. Don't ride on the edge of control, a good place to be is at 70% or less of your ability, this gives you an "oh shit" safety net if something goes wonky.

The next most common is simply overcooking a corner - some of these may overlap with the previous entry because a road surface condition on a blind corner may appear to be entering the corner too quickly. Well, you did enter too quickly if you can't react to changing conditions.

Car changes lanes into you. Don't hang out in blind spots, have escape routs and emergency maneuvers planned.

Car hits you from behind. Really we are talking tiny probabilities of a serious crash here, only 6% and in California you are at almost no risk if you are lane-sharing. Lane sharing gets you out of the "sandwich zone" between bumpers - so California is actually slightly safer in this regard. Also, if you are slowing down by rolling off the throttle, give your brake a couple of taps to flash your brake light. Bikes tend to engine-brake far better than cars - even those with a manual transmission.

The next is motorcycle-on-motorcycle carnage. Don't ride with asshats.

Locked your front brake. Learn to use your brakes.

Car door opened on you. Don't ride next to parked cars. Also because this is the area where people step out from between cars to get in or jaywalk.

Going down due to weather. Run good tires, know how to ride in the wet (especially on LA's roads where everyone loses their goddamned minds when it rains and the roads get greasy).

As you can see - only a few of these involve other vehicles, and the SMIDSY is the most common and easily addressed by rider ability and awareness. I've lost track of how many times I've had a near-SMIDSY, but because I was paying attention and riding defensively I was always able to avoid it. Cars are a hazard, but the part that is the most hazardous on any motorcycle is the nut that connects the bars to the saddle.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that more people crash on that turn of The Snake now due to the number of crash videos out there?

Yes, i do think so. I have been up there at the snake alot. here is what happens.

steps to most crashes
1. Riders take the turn once at normal pace.
2. Riders then come back to that turn on there way back down the mountain and push the biker harder to get more learn, pushing the limit sometime.
3. Sometimes they come back for a 3rd try, just to try and get on camera. When they do, they always push way past the limit and crash.

This is what happens most of the time. There is a website that posts pictures from the snake and they say the times the photographer will be there, so most of the time the riders will be there at those times just to get a picture of themselves riding.

- - - Updated - - -

Handz,

Sorry to break it to you, but your assumption is easily checked because the CDC and NHTSA track motorcycle crashes. Let's have a look.

4,612 riders died in 2011, which is a 2% increase over 2010, but once you subtract off road bikes, quads, minibikes, mopeds and scooters you are left with 4,323 motorcycle fatalities. However, the number of registered motorcycles increased 5% over the same time period.

Injuries were down from 82,000 to 81,000 over that period.

40% of all fatalities were the result of a collision with another vehicle - 2,449 incidents. That means 60% of all fatalities were single-vehicle crashes only involving the rider - not exactly "most".
Only 6% of those fatal incidents were the motorcycle being hit from behind.

More than 42% (1,998) of motorcyclists in 2011 were killed in two vehicle accident and 38% (757) of these were the result of another vehicle turning left in front of the motorcycle that was either going straight, passing or overtaking another vehicle.

Of all motorcycle deaths in 2011, 35% (1,614) were the direct result of the rider speeding.

Riders of bikes with 501-1000cc engines accounted for 39% of all 2011 fatalities and also represented the highest increase of overall fatalities (25%) from when NHTSA first started recording this information in 2002. (so if you were really concerned about stats you would get a 500cc or smaller)

Drinking and riding is a significant problem with Texas and Florida leading the nation in drunk motorcycle fatalities. There are a bunch of different stats on this, but essentially, a crap ton of these fatalities and injuries are the result of impaired riding - about 42% of single-vehicle crashes and 33% overall.

40% of fatalities were cases without a helmet.

The most common type of multivehicle crash is a car making a left turn in front of the rider. With vigilance and defensive riding this is an avoidable crash most of the time. By the way, we call this a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You). Don't speed in areas where there are driveways and cross streets is a good place to start.

The next is a single vehicle crash due to road surface conditions, such as gravel, water, sand, etc. Don't ride on the edge of control, a good place to be is at 70% or less of your ability, this gives you an "oh shit" safety net if something goes wonky.

The next most common is simply overcooking a corner - some of these may overlap with the previous entry because a road surface condition on a blind corner may appear to be entering the corner too quickly. Well, you did enter too quickly if you can't react to changing conditions.

Car changes lanes into you. Don't hang out in blind spots, have escape routs and emergency maneuvers planned.

Car hits you from behind. Really we are talking tiny probabilities of a serious crash here, only 6% and in California you are at almost no risk if you are lane-sharing. Lane sharing gets you out of the "sandwich zone" between bumpers - so California is actually slightly safer in this regard. Also, if you are slowing down by rolling off the throttle, give your brake a couple of taps to flash your brake light. Bikes tend to engine-brake far better than cars - even those with a manual transmission.

The next is motorcycle-on-motorcycle carnage. Don't ride with asshats.

Locked your front brake. Learn to use your brakes.

Car door opened on you. Don't ride next to parked cars. Also because this is the area where people step out from between cars to get in or jaywalk.

Going down due to weather. Run good tires, know how to ride in the wet (especially on LA's roads where everyone loses their goddamned minds when it rains and the roads get greasy).

As you can see - only a few of these involve other vehicles, and the SMIDSY is the most common and easily addressed by rider ability and awareness. I've lost track of how many times I've had a near-SMIDSY, but because I was paying attention and riding defensively I was always able to avoid it. Cars are a hazard, but the part that is the most hazardous on any motorcycle is the nut that connects the bars to the saddle.

This is lots of good info..... thanks for posting.

I dont think alot of this applies to California very well because it says 40% of fatalities were cases without a helmet but nobody in CA rides without a helmet because its illegal.

The facts are true that the number of motorcycles on the road has increased a good amount in CA and all of the US.

Alot of people that ride in CA are foolish. They dont take the MSF class and a HUGE number of motorcycle riders dont have there license. Many officers in cities in the area that I live will actually pull over motorcycles just to inspect if they have a proper license and insurance. Alot of bikes get impounded because of this.

Blind_Io, i really appreciate all the info you are posting. I know you may think I am just playing it off, but i am not. I am taking this info very seriously and I want you to understand that. I greatly appreciate your info and help. Thats why I am posting here.

Last edited:
So in Ducati news, Monster 800 no Single sided swing-arm, same as the 899. :( Next bike in works after that scrambler type retro thing might be a 821 Multistrada, if that does not have a SSA and a centerstand I do not like the direction Ducati is going. Audi/VW is probably working on ways to make the same bike but sell a SSA as an optional extra.

On a sidenote, how is the motorcycle industry going too continue to make bikes for people 5'4'' and below as well as 6'4"+? It's interesting too note that men under 21 now seem shorter then people in my age group, but I see allot more taller women now. Since riding my motorcycle I went from 6'3'' to 6'4'' possibly 6'5'' now since my neck has straightened due too wind maybe.

I'm a towering 5'8" and I fit my bike rather well.

I know for the Monster 1200, they've added all sorts of seat adjustments so they can accommodate riders of most inseams.

Last edited:
That does it. I hereby move that his title be changed to "Manos: Handz of Fate"

Brilliant!

And seconded.

I really need to stop spending money on the house for a while.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/4458049726.html

EDIT: My good friend got to train the UHP motorcycle cops today. He posted an album:

http://imgur.com/a/EO0Hs#0

He's the one in the black and white Arai on the 848 and the Multistrada.

House? Who needs a house? :p

There is no talking to this guy. He is also an antivaxxer, so I intensely dislike him on principal.

Wait, what?

Handz is an antivaxxer?

Hmmm. He starts out, "I am going to be careful and avoid pushing things" to, "But I have to ride the canyons because I live there and I am with a group that takes it easy". Now he is an expert in showing how others screwed up with a couple/few thousands miles riding.

If you want to get in the pool, let me know.

Bad joke in poor taste, no betting pool here.
Can I take "Wrecked, no serious injuries, 6 months or sooner?" What's the buy-in?

All proceeds to the Ring Meet Beer Fund?

That's a good idea. I'm game.

Heh, I was just talking too my neighbor who is a police officer about Motocops. He rides a harley and said the class is really hard. Nice too see Utah police wearing protective gear btw. I think my Hyperstrada wouldn't be a bad Motocop bike, I don't think it would be that hard too convert, certainly better then a harley at high-speed.

Edit: And it can go off road... umm somewhat lol

Last edited:
Moderators, please change my title to "Manos: Handz of Fate". Please, Thanks

They should make it something to do with his vandalism.