The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I looked at all the slip on exhaust for the R6, and the Yoshimura is actually CARB legal for sound restrictions.... its only a little bit louder than stock. Just enough to be heard. Not stupid rider loud cause i really dont want that.

I was asking cause out of all the exhausts, this one isnt that much louder than stock.

Last edited:
I looked at all the slip on exhaust for the R6, and the Yoshimura is actually CARB legal for sound restrictions.... its only a little bit louder than stock. Just enough to be heard. Not stupid rider loud cause i really dont want that.

I was asking cause out of all the exhausts, this one isnt that much louder than stock.

It also needs to carry the certification label permanently attached to it to be legal. Most Yosh pipes don't have the compliance info embossed in them.

Do you guys think i should pick up the slip on... or keep the super quiet stock exhaust?
Loud exhausts are annoying. Full stop.

It may be nice to listen to some race-like exhausts around... well, a race track, or when going "sporty" through some twisty roads, but all the time? No, just no. And when you are on the bike, you'd hear it all the fucking time. Get some Aspirin with that.

A repacement airfilter from k&n made a bit of a sound improvement on my revere. More filtering surface, more intake noise and your head is right above the airbox.

A repacement airfilter from k&n made a bit of a sound improvement on my revere. More filtering surface, more intake noise and your head is right above the airbox.

Flows more air, flows more dirt. Ask Der Stig about the K&N products we found in his VFR.

^a guy i know who tunes rally engines is a big fan of K&N.

his words: "a bit more power and a bit more wear, K&N keeps the work comming!" :lol:

Flows more air, flows more dirt. Ask Der Stig about the K&N products we found in his VFR.

I have ran them for years without a problem. I do make one slight modification though. Go buy the cheapest pair of nylons you can find and stretch them over the filter. Bigger particles don't get past and the filter does the rest. Also, for those that do have problems with them. CLEAN THEM!

First ride impressions of the HD Livewire.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/1...ic-motorcycle-first-ride-review-photos-video/

I must say this came out of nowhere. HD may have finally gotten the point that their traditional target demographic is getting too old.

?The sound that we?ve developed for this motorcycle is uniquely our own,? explains Richlen. ?It is not silent. It?s far from it. It has a very distinct sound that is a result of the architecture we have chosen for the motor.?

So, they're still making unnecessarily noisy motorcycles, even if they?re electric. :p

Kidding aside, HDs were always about torque, so this seems like an obvious path in my mind.
Funny to see Harley-Davidson, of all motorcycle companies, making an effort to advance in that.
With that said, the riding position looks terrible...
Harley-Davidson-LiveWire-action-6.jpg

I have ran them for years without a problem. I do make one slight modification though. Go buy the cheapest pair of nylons you can find and stretch them over the filter. Bigger particles don't get past and the filter does the rest. Also, for those that do have problems with them. CLEAN THEM!

One huge problem with K&N is the fact that it's an oiled filter. We found congealed gummy K&N oil all over the airbox, throttle bodies, intake boots... you name it, we found it there. Despite K&N's claims (which contradict each other) that oil cannot leave the filters or that overoiling will only make the filter flow less. This is part for the course when dealing with K&N - and it's even worse with vehicles that have MAF sensors. The oil from the filter will damage the MAF when it comes in contact.

On top of that, the additional flow is absolutely at the expense of filtration. They are flat out lying when they say it filters out 99% as well as a paper filter. One of many objective tests here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

A common sense individual test: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm and http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Used oil analysis before and after a K&N will often show that the engine is wearing out much faster. Higher silicon, higher wear metals.

The PowerStroke 7.3L guys strongly recommend against K&N filters because thousands of users have shown it cuts turbo life down to 100K or less and engine life down to 150K or so. Considering that if you leave the intake path stock, the turbo will easily go 250-300K without needing attention and the motor shouldn't have to have the heads off before 500K, that's pretty damning. K&Ns are great for a race motor that's rebuilt on a regular basis and is run in relatively clean air - not so great on a street machine that you need to get you to work.

Yes, it's that bad.

First ride impressions of the HD Livewire.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/19/harley-davidson-livewire-electric-motorcycle-first-ride-review-photos-video/

I must say this came out of nowhere. HD may have finally gotten the point that their traditional target demographic is getting too old.dead.

FTFY. :p Also, the "Home Equity Line Of Credit = ATM dispensing free money" insanity has ended and nobody wants to pay $40K for a terrible machine that a $1000 cruiser from 20 years ago off Craigslist is better than in all respects any more.

It kind of makes sense, though. I wasn't the only under-40 telling Harley "welcome to 1982" when they introduced their new watercooled bikes. They have just figured out that 'oooh, hey, watercooled now!' might wow the ancient unfrozen cavemen that used to buy their old dinosaur bikes (emphasis on 'used to' - now they are shopping for old people mobility scooters), but it's pass? to the tech generations. Even incorporating all the latest things they can buy in from suppliers will only be greeted with the derision that it deserves ("Hey, Harley, ya finally caught up to last decade!'). In order to make themselves relevant again, they have to do something different.

To be fair, if it's made and sold as a boutique cruiser, it should be fine. Harley people are apparently satisfied with short range ('peanut' tanks on choppers and stock on the Sportster), heavy weight (duh) and artificial sound/vibrations, so even this thing's shortcomings might not be so bad.

That said... while this looks credible enough for a design study and a reaction piece, the ergonomics and styling are really schitzophrenic - it's as if they crossed something like a CTX700 with some leftover Buell parts then threw in a Bikemaster shorty bar and some stuff they ordered off eBay from China.

Last edited:
I started packing for my first overnight(s) moto trip, and I found myself debating whether I should spend time fleshing out my stock toolkit or baking peanut butter cookies for the trip. /priorities

I started packing for my first overnight(s) moto trip, and I found myself debating whether I should spend time fleshing out my stock toolkit or baking peanut butter cookies for the trip. /priorities

Both!

Haha, if only I was that motivated. :D

Peanut butter cookies aren't part of your stock toolkit? My dear, I feel you and Dave will parish!

I will so! :p Doesn't everybody need a snack after a sprint?

*cricket*

P.S. I think the girls always carry snacks because there's nothing like riding hangry. :lol:

Last edited:
I skipped on the slip on exhaust.....at least for now.

Rode my bike for a good 4 hours today up the west coast. Ocean breeze felt great.

I wanna share this with you guy. I made an hour long video detailing my R6. I did every detail step. Did the complete detail using waterless technology so I didnt have to lube the chain. Did a wash, clay, polish, sealant, wax, and much more. I went very in-depth during the process. Hope this helps other riders detail their bikes.

[video=youtube;cbB-q3XRmfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbB-q3XRmfQ[/video]

Cool video, but I can't help but think it can't be all that hard to clean a bike that's hardly dirty at all. :p

I dare you to clean my bike, this is how it looked after I got home from a weekend in the UK to visit the Triumph Factory. (No dirt roads, just some spots of rain and some roads with mud here and there)

10418506_762135303819184_4729862144497993750_n.jpg

10389130_762135347152513_2810895707790602800_n.jpg

10359229_762135400485841_2163356840646466040_n.jpg

10441147_762135503819164_2957374788999277459_n.jpg

Also, how many of those micro-fibre towels did you go through? I bought some from Meguiars a few years back and those are expensive...

I feel that to properly clean and detail my bike I'd pretty much have to take it apart to get to all the nooks and crannies where the dirt and grime hangs out (you think cleaning a faired bike is hard? Think again.). And honestly I can't be bothered, yes I'd like my bike to look good and shiny, but I'd much rather be riding it than spending the entire day cleaning it. If I wanted to do that I'd have bought a Harley.

Last edited:
I just got back from the PNW Meetup.

Observations:
The MG gel-seat isn't quite enough for ~6hr rides.
I only got ~52mpg on the freeway :(
I didn't win the "did not catch fire" award on the trip.

Last edited:
I just got back from the PNW Meetup.

Observations:
The MG gel-seat isn't quite enough for ~6hr rides.
I only got ~50mpg on the freeway :(
I didn't win the "did not catch fire" award on the trip.

Your Guzzi decided to be all Italian and set itself on fire?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how many of those micro-fibre towels did you go through? I bought some from Meguiars a few years back and those are expensive...

Microfiber towels are cheap here. Also, S100 is your friend.