The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Being a Street Triple owner, The maximum degrees of the steering left to right is indeed terrible. It makes maneuvering in and out of my garage a little difficult. I've never thought about modifying it though.

Due to some creative route-planning by my friend, our group of four (very mismatched: an old XT350, an XJ600 and an even older GS400, plus my CBF1000) needed almost nine hours to get to Zeeland, a humble 350 or so kilometres. But after a night on a very soft mattress, my butt doesn't hurt anymore.

Where in Zeeland are you? I could pop over the border and say hi. :)

Are you trying to change the angle of the forks or the actual minutes of arc of the steering?

The arc of steering, the angle of the forks are not an issue at the moment. And if I do want to change that I know what to do anyway. :)
Its the turning radius of the bike that's the issue for me. For example I can do a 180?/360? rotation on my Hornet in about 4 meters or so, whereas with the Street Triple I couldn't do it in 8.

I'd love to but turns out I still have some work to do here which I need to do outdoors and there's talk of rain tonight, tomorrow and after that I've got other commitments. :/
Might be able to work something out for tomorrow though if you're still in the general area. (it's about an hours ride for me)

The arc of steering, the angle of the forks are not an issue at the moment. And if I do want to change that I know what to do anyway. :)
Its the turning radius of the bike that's the issue for me. For example I can do a 180?/360? rotation on my Hornet in about 4 meters or so, whereas with the Street Triple I couldn't do it in 8.

Yeah, I read the same thing about the Street Trip when I was shopping for a new bike (and ended up getting the 919). Here's a link from my research archives that might provide a lead - apparently just removing the stops may not be enough. http://www.triumphrat.net/street-tr...ning-radius-problem-sovled-2.html#post2436450

"The loaner" is back again. :D
upload_-1

My friends' bike that I had for few days last summer as well that is. He has other things to do, having to take care of less than a month old second child. Helped him with basic service and maintenance so he doesn't end up selling it because "no time for it", obviously lending it while he doesn't need it at the moment. :p Had a nice 250km ride in a windy and rainy 7C weather while picking it up yesterday. To my surprise my cheap riding gear held up quite well, I should get more weather resistant shoes/boots though..

Last night I dreamt about getting a bike...

Since I can't actually do it just yet, I'm venting here so I can feel a token part of he cool kids group. :D

My local Honda dealer is closing down with the owner retiring. They aren't offering any deals on bikes but gear and fluid are heavily discounted. After some price checking online I decided to load up with everything I need for the year, motor and fork oil as well as coolant. I also picked up a new helmet as a graduation present to myself. This is likely the last bit of spending on the bike for awhile since the Ovumlordette is arriving in a few weeks and my spending priorities change.

How often should fork oil be changed?

Most marques, if they call for it at all, say somewhere between every 18-40K. Some experts suggest every year or every other year or every 10K.

SCRAMBLER-CALLOUTS.jpg

Essentially, we rebuilt this motorcycle from the ground up. Every nut and bolt was replaced with new hardware. The motor was rebuilt using 80 mm Pistons taking it to a whopping 744cc. We installed oversized titanium valves and seats, a performance cam and blueprinted the crank. Then fitted the motor with 34 mm Mikuni carburetor. Custom-made headers were then fitted with Cone engineering performance slip on mufflers.

We fitted the rear suspension with Ohlin piggyback gas shocks the front suspension was replaced with Race Tech springs and gold valve emulators. We then mated a 17 inch aluminum rim to a CB450 drum hub for a classic vintage look and 19 inch Sun rim to a Triumph Bonneville hub up front. The wheel was then fitted with a 320 mm rotor and a modern twin piston caliper. The rubber front and rear are Avon Distanzia off road tires. We used a 100/80 in the front and a 130/80 in the rear. Performance was the name of the game here.

Finally the wiring deserves a special mention; the entire bike was wired with extremely discreet and nearly invisible LEDs, utilizing MotoGadget?s switches and simplified wiring boxes and widgets.

And what of the performance? Well, it goes like a bat-out-of-hell and it sounds awesome! The fiberglass tank, fenders and lightweight seat along with the removal of unnecessary parts, have all contributed to a tremendous weight loss; the added horse power-to-weight ratio makes this thing really move both on the road and across the dirt.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/dccdi...gn=Dispatch&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Email

This thing is pretty sweet. I'd love to do this to the Moto Gutsy.

Is it a very old dealership as well?

Closing after 30 years. I guess the owner would rather close down rather than sell.

Most marques, if they call for it at all, say somewhere between every 18-40K. Some experts suggest every year or every other year or every 10K.

I looked through the service manual nothing is listed, there is a procedure but not an interval. However on the NC700 forum the recommendation is about every 20,000 miles. Since my bike is a 2012 and I should hit 20,000 by the fall, I might as well do it.

Last night I dreamt about getting a bike...

Since I can't actually do it just yet, I'm venting here so I can feel a token part of he cool kids group. :D

Happens to me every other month... :|

Looks like they charge full retail on everything in their parts list. Even so, I'll probably call them tomorrow and see if they have an inventory of parts on hand.

Happens to me every other month... :|

Oh, not just me then. The guy who wanted to teach me how to ride pulled out aswell, I'm guessing he was afraid I damage his priceless old beaten to shit XR250 or whatever it is.