The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Congrats blackman! So, you're back in Germany for just a few weeks yet and already have a second car and a motorcycle. :blink:

Also, we should have a ride together sometime. :)

4u3wztcgbaez.jpg

The different length exhaust pipes really bother me for some reason.

Congrats blackman! So, you're back in Germany for just a few weeks yet and already have a second car and a motorcycle. :blink:

Also, we should have a ride together sometime. :)

Absolutely! Bike should be ready for pickup tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Tutoro Auto automatic chain oiler finally crapped out - either because my boot or some other part on the bike was hitting the base of the unit causing it to crack around the flow control valve, or because I used motor oil in it which caused the unit to crack. They said that was okay at the time I bought it but now are saying that motor oil is likely not compatible with their plastics. The website recommends that their special blends of oil are the only ones that should be used or the warranty is invalid. Unfortunately, while their oil is inexpensive, it is not readily available in the US and thus means long lead times.

Since I have to get another oiler anyway, I decided to try another semi-manual unit that generally seems to review well and is listed as specifically compatible with motor oil. It arrived today; Royal Fail managed to not fill the package with water or crush it, for a wonder. More on this after I get it installed.

I also got a great deal on a couple of Scala Rider Bluetooth headsets to replace my elderly Q2 Pro that's starting to have severe problems.

Some impressions of the Scrambler that I rented to drive in Italian/Swiss Alps during the week before ringmeet.

Why the Scrambler? This is the bike I liked before even getting the license. I just like this look. And I like Ducati's detailing, I like the single offset dial, I like the sound. It's also light and not so powerful, which is good for a noob like me. Basically, I thought of this as an extended test-drive. But also the choice for renting in Italy is mostly limited to every possible model of BMW, and I wanted something Italian for the Italian adventure ;) It was between Moto Guzzi V7 and the Scrambler, and I decided on a more modern one.

First impression was that the bars are quite high, and the seating position is rather upright. Not quite what I expected. It took me a few days to get really used to it, I kept leaning forward instinctively, which made it very awkward. Other ergonomic issues were the clutch and brake levers - both too far. The clutch side is non-adjustable, and the brake is too far even in the closest position. There also seems to be a neutral between every gear, sometimes :lol:

The engine is 800cc and is very torquey, which I appreciated a lot in the hairpins. The high end is not very exciting, and the limiter comes rather abruptly. I stayed under 6krpm most of the time. The throttle response is fantastic, especially coming from my carbed 500cc. It's what I'll be missing the most.

I got to ride it in the most extreme conditions I've faced so far, from the 38C heat to the meanest thunderstorm imaginable. During one of the warmer days I got engine error after standing in traffic for some 15mins :lol: It has a rather tiny radiator and no fan. The error disappeared as the bike cooled down.

The gauge is another point of criticism from me. I really like the look of the single offset dial, but the actual screen layout is a bit messy. The rev counter in particular is unreadable, as it's a thin bar around the circumference of the gauge.

So 1313.6 km later, do I still want one? Yeah :D By the end of the week I finally started to "feel" it and got more somewhat braver with my cornering. It seems like a very forgiving and versatile bike to me. I would probably still lower the bars a bit, and change the levers, but overall this is close to the sweet spot of new bikes for my taste. That said, I'm not going to buy a brand new bike any time soon, so this is all hypothetical.

Interestingly enough, the week with Scrambler in the Alps made riding the ER-5 fun again. I was getting rather bored with it, but now I'm enjoying it a lot again. The engine is a bit of a let down, but otherwise it feels so lively and familiar, that I really don't feel like upgrading right now.

Thanks for the write-up.
I have yet to see one in person, but I also like it a lot.

lol my friend made this after our ride yesterday:

veojtcf6ydiz.jpg

"pipe cleaner arms" :lol:

Today's was my oldest daughter first day of the school year, which is a very short day.

I surprised her by picking her up on the FJ, it was her first motorcycle ride ever (we bought her safety equipment yesterday).

IMG_20170829_103723.jpg

We then rode downtown for some poutine :D

Last edited:
Cool ;)

Is that something around your waist she can grab onto or am I seeing things?

Yeah, it's a harness with some kind of handlebars that she can hold on to.

I used a discount voucher from a German motorcycle gear retailer and got myself a new helmet (after 6.5 years with the old one): Schuberth C3 (outgoing model). Thanks to another discount for the helmet, I got it for only ?250.
Finally, a helmet for which I don't need to take off my glasses when putting it on or off. :)

How is the wind sound in the Schuberth? I have the C3 and I find it quite loud and quite wobbly at speed.

To be honest, the wind noise from the top ventilation opening is quite loud. I'm disappointed by that. It didn't come out on the test stand (the local dealer has a "bike in a wind tunnel" setup simulating supposedly up to 120 kph), but is really pronounced in the real world.