The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Cool.

What about using a soft tail bag and a luggage lock? I'm mostly thinking of going to dinner and similar short-ish activities—I wouldn't leave the helmet there for days at a time or anything like that.

Whenever I commute, I leave my helmet and gloves in the Multi’s top case. Same thing if I stop for a break on a roadtrip.

Givi top case is the way to go, just make sure you secure the latch on the back and don’t leave your keys in it and go 90mph ?

On in-town riding or similar occasion when I use the bike to go somewhere where it would be inconvenient to take my stuff with me, I usually have the Givi topcase mounted. It can take my backpack or groceries while on the move, and the helmet, gloves and kidney belt while parked.
And I don't care that it looks shit. :D

That's a good point. Since I should be an FJ-09 owner in about a month, that probably means the Yamaha 39L Top Case (on the FJ-09 Rear Rack/Top Case Mount).

I'm less into side cases since I want to keep as much splitting/filtering ability as possible. It's an integral part of riding in California, and the little Ninja has me super spoiled with its (lack of) size.

IIRC Yamaha doesn't key match bags, so is there any reason to go with this over a more generic Givi solution, for example?

FYI: The FJ-09‘s bars are so wide, the OEM Yamaha side cases do not increase the overall width of the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI: The FJ-09‘s bars are so wide, the OEM Yamaha side cases do not increase the overall width of the bike

That's a fair point. Still, I've found it convenient not to have to worry about the width of anything past the bars when I have to wiggle them.

I think I'll probably keep the top case on all the time, and add the side bags when needed.

Every time I ride something else it makes me realize how wide the FJ-09 is. I replaced the OEM hand guards with KTM ones and it shaved off almost 4 inches of width. If your into filtering something you could consider. Still the wife’s PC32 CB500 feels about half as wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bGMGe0H.jpg

I'm sorry, but if someone has such audacity and hooves into my sight. I'm exploding my exhaust box to 11.

So it appears the local Guzzi dealer I bought my bike from closed up a couple month ago. I'm taking that as a sign that I should buy a new bike in a year or two.

Any recommendations for a rain tolerant (no chain) and lightish bike (400 to 500 lbs)? The R Nine T Poor looks to be the closest equivalent, but I'm not sure about the reliability.

So it appears the local Guzzi dealer I bought my bike from closed up a couple month ago. I'm taking that as a sign that I should buy a new bike in a year or two.

Any recommendations for a rain tolerant (no chain) and lightish bike (400 to 500 lbs)? The R Nine T Poor looks to be the closest equivalent, but I'm not sure about the reliability.

I believe those two requirements are mutually exclusive for the most part - if you have shaft drive, it generally won’t be under 500. I believe that the V7 is/was the only option there.

According to BMW the R Nine T poverty spec is 483 lbs wet. That's about equal to my old CX500.

Yeah, I'm not too hot on BMW's innovative and daring flammable drive shaft technology.

Yeah, I'm not too hot on BMW's innovative and daring flammable drive shaft technology.

It's worth pointing out that the shaft drive VFR1200F is only 589lbs wet. The Tiger Explorer XR is 538lbs dry. The Super Tenere is 575lbs wet. Maybe consider going up to a larger displacement bike?

I'll be keeping the Griso, and just working on it myself. Once they get past the teething stage Guzzis tend to be pretty rock solid. They are certainly made of stone.