The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Most modern sport bikes don't have a separate oil pan, the vast majority have the drain threaded directly into the case. I think I've owned two bikes that had a separate pan, the ST1300 and a 1982 Magna.

Someone forgot to tell Honda that - pretty much all of their sportbikes do. From the 2018 CBR1000RR:
336cae12-8cc4-4e98-9b83-f0d5fb7ac464.gif

Kawasakis mostly still have separate oil pans. 2018 ZX-10RR:
MTg2NDgzMA-5c28eb4c.png

Suzuki still has separate oil pans as well - 2018 GSX-R1000R:
NTI5MTI1NQ-b7d7be84.png

The only one of the Big Four that doesn't routinely still fit oil pans is Yamaha - which is understandable as they more or less come right out and tell you the highly tuned engine on the R series is a disposable unit. Pretty sure you need to go back and beat whoever it was that told you that most sportbikes these days don't have oil pans because they were wrong.

Last edited:
Spectre, only you could take a post from someone being proud of an accomplishment and turn it into a shit-slinging pissing contest. :mad:

Spectre, only you could take a post from someone being proud of an accomplishment and turn it into a shit-slinging pissing contest. :mad:

Don’t quote inaccurate so-called ‘facts’ that just aren’t so, then. Any engine where you have to replace the entire engine or crankcase as a practical repair for an oil drain plug area issue is either disposable (Yamaha), poorly designed or both - and it’s not the norm at all. Lack of an oil pan is the exception and not the rule on sport bikes.

Congratulations on successfully swapping the engine, but the fact remains that if the engine had been properly designed you wouldn’t have had to do that to fix a cracked drain plug hole. Especially because screwed drain plug threads/holes/bolts is probably one of the most common maintenance screwup issues with any engine, so engineers should be (and usually are) aware that this is something that should be accounted for.

Last edited:
Don’t quote inaccurate so-called ‘facts’ that just aren’t so, then. Any engine where you have to replace the entire engine or crankcase as a practical repair for an oil drain plug area issue is either disposable (Yamaha), poorly designed or both - and it’s not the norm at all. Lack of an oil pan is the exception and not the rule on sport bikes.

Congratulations on successfully swapping the engine, but the fact remains that if the engine had been properly designed you wouldn’t have had to do that to fix a cracked drain plug hole. Especially because screwed drain plug threads/holes/bolts is probably one of the most common maintenance screwup issues with any engine, so engineers should be (and usually are) aware that this is something that should be accounted for.

That's your opinion.
It used to be that every bike had a separate sump, and that isn't the case today. That doesn't mean the engine is "disposable", the 696 engine is going to be repaired.

All that aside, you've missed the point - I posted about a personal accomplishment and you took the opportunity to stand on a soap box about your pet peeves. This was not an invitation for you to pontificate about the "right" and "wrong" way to do things. Maybe I'm wrong about oil sumps vs clamshell engine cases; at this point, I don't give a shit. It pisses me off that no one can say anything about a vehicle without you jumping in and taking cheap shots at them for buying the "wrong" car or bike simply because they have different criteria for what they want in a machine than you do.

You seem to take a nearly perverse pleasure in other people having vehicle trouble - as long as it's not a vehicle that you personally approve of.

On that note, I sold my 919 and bought a BMW R1150GS in obnoxious yellow :p

Yes, the one with the derpy face! And the transmission splines that strip! And the final drive that goes on fire! And the ABS is broken! And I’m enjoying every minute of it!

And congrats to team Utah for successfully not burning down their garage and bringing the baby Duc back to life!

Finally, @Crazyjeeper did some poking around and it appears that the 919 and 700 don’t have separate oil pans...

Attachments

• 13B8BB2B-F024-4411-BF2F-6EFAA1745BFB.jpeg
    13B8BB2B-F024-4411-BF2F-6EFAA1745BFB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • F48998D8-4DC1-4A3D-853C-A0F8E783C5EB.jpeg
    F48998D8-4DC1-4A3D-853C-A0F8E783C5EB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 205
  • 76A57AF5-AD71-4850-9305-BD21F7AEC440.jpeg
    76A57AF5-AD71-4850-9305-BD21F7AEC440.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 208
  • C75BF035-CA55-466D-8417-D00DC70872DF.png
    C75BF035-CA55-466D-8417-D00DC70872DF.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 196
  • FDDE0F69-873F-4415-9981-515FB7E756DD.png
    FDDE0F69-873F-4415-9981-515FB7E756DD.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Whoops.

Also, isn't Yamaha the second largest motorcycle manufacturer? That would make clamshell engine cases fairly common in modern bikes when combined with other brands and other specific models ... like the Honda 919. :unsure:

That must have a disposable engine or be poorly designed - it's obvious when you look at it... still here after 43 years.

My 76 Goldwing, by Honda, also has left and right cases, no oil pan.

Yeah, the Goldwing engine family is one of the few >250cc Hondas that doesn't. The CB750 before it, despite being dry sump, does have an oil pan. But it's not a sportbike, so it doesn't count. :p

That must have a disposable engine or be poorly designed - it's obvious when you look at it... still here after 43 years.
See above.

Whoops.

Also, isn't Yamaha the second largest motorcycle manufacturer? That would make clamshell engine cases fairly common in modern bikes when combined with other brands and other specific models ... like the Honda 919. :unsure:

The 919 has an oil pan. Would you like to see a picture of the spare one I have here for powdercoating?

Finally, @Crazyjeeper did some poking around and it appears that the 919 and 700 don’t have separate oil pans...

See above post. The 919 does have a separate oil pan. Not only do I have one here at the house for the 919, it's on the parts fiche.
a32d7500-11eb-430e-ab60-c6a4a7887297.gif

So does the 700.
64adfa1a-3120-4a19-9ddf-a42abc7b6e74.gif

You were saying?

Are you saying that the documentation might be (gasp) wrong?! It can't possibly be wrong, it's not Italian and a dude on the Internet told me that Italian manuals are wrong and Japanese ones are right.

Are you saying that the documentation might be (gasp) wrong?!

Nope. They clicked "Crankcase" instead of looking at the line item a little further down that said "Oil Pan." User failure, not documentation failure.

Oh no, I didn’t spend more than 30 seconds on an internet argument. My bad, carry on.

I think it's time we break this out again.

:spectre:

Because I can be an ass, but I've never had an emote named after me.

Last edited: