The GNU/Linux thread

They've never conducted business like that.

Ok well that you can take it to the author of the blog post of that software who wrote it, I have nothing to do with it ;)

Now back to Linux? :p

Yeah let me go back in time and fetch it for you xD

Also wasn't there recently some controversy because there was an app for the iPhone that was basically a game where you silenced a crying baby by shaking it to death? Remember that Apple was in trouble for approving that.
Yes, yes... I know thats iPhone OS not OS X

Some other bad experiences have made me not enjoy Apple software that much like trying to make my brother's iPod work with his computer, then mine... I still have nightmares about uninstalling iTunes

Last edited:
Also wasn't there recently some controversy because there was an app for the iPhone that was basically a game where you silenced a crying baby by shaking it to death? Remember that Apple was in trouble for approving that.

Some other bad experiences have made me not enjoy Apple software that much like trying to make my brother's iPod work with his computer, then mine... I still have nightmares about uninstalling iTunes

Well, well. There are two points i'll have to agree with you here. The uncontroversial one first: The Windows versions of most Apple Software are shit. That's Apple Software as in "software made by Apple, the company from Cupertino, CA" not as in "software for Mac OS from other parties". Just like MS Office for Mac has or had the tendency to be rather unstable (i've hears Office 2011 changed that, but that's hearsay) cause MS does not care about its MacOS products as much as it cares for its main line of Windows products, one gets the feeling Apple's for-Windows software is the red-headed stepchild of Apple's software family.
The second point we agree on is the questionable approval policy for the AppStore, which is the only officially supported way of installing software on iOS devices. Steve Jobs has publicly stated that he wants OS X to become more like iOS, which, in combination with the advent of the AppStore for OS X, makes me fear that the next or second-to-next version of OS X will become as closed as iOS, with the AppStore as the only "official" way to install software. But right now, that's wild speculation.

Equi, Nugget, what i missed in your posts is the fact that OS X is based on NeXTstep, the brilliant os Steve Jobs' company NeXT devoloped in the 90s during his absence from Apple for it's even-more-brilliant NeXTcube. NeXTstep (and thus, OS X) combine a mach kernel with a BSD-derivate environment, so it should be of no surprise that, given the right libs are installed, all BSD source should compile.

But back to Linux ;)

I still got a few problems with Linux on my ThinkPad, any ideas?
- The gnome GPointingDevice control panel fails to activate two-finger scrolling, setting the EmulateTwoFingerMinZ parameter needed to enable two-finger scrolling on non-multitouch touchpads to a three-digit value that is not helpful. What makes it even less helpful is the fact that GPointingDevice overwrites the correct values i set in a modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf. For now i simply added "/usr/bin/synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1 EmulateTwoFingerMinZ=35" to the Gnome startup items. Sadly, when waking the system up from sleep, this settings are gone and i have to re-enter them by console. Any ideas how to fix this?

-Speaking of waking up from sleep, when a video DVD is inserted into the drive and i wake the machine up, Gnome autoplays it, which is extremely annoying. How do i disable autoplay-from-sleep"?

-I have not yet found a way to disable power management and the screensaver automatically when playing a file in VLC. Again, any ideas?

Linux, sooooo ready for the desktop *sigh*

Last edited:
Yeah let me go back in time and fetch it for you xD

None of that relates to Mac OS X. All you are doing is throwing out poorly conceived and false arguments in hope of getting one right.

On an unrelated note all Portuguese people eat babies I read it on a blog somewhere. I also think Brazil is overrated so Portugal is probably not worth visiting. Mpicco keys cars so I assume everyone else there does too.

Well, well. There are two points i'll have to agree with you here. The uncontroversial one first: The Windows versions of most Apple Software are shit. That's Apple Software as in "software made by Apple, the company from Cupertino, CA" not as in "software for Mac OS from other parties". Just like MS Office for Mac has or had the tendency to be rather unstable (i've hears Office 2011 changed that, but that's hearsay) cause MS does not care about its MacOS products as much as it cares for its main line of Windows products, one gets the feeling Apple's for-Windows software is the red-headed stepchild of Apple's software family.
The second point we agree on is the questionable approval policy for the AppStore, which is the only officially supported way of installing software on iOS devices. Steve Jobs has publicly stated that he wants OS X to become more like iOS, which, in combination with the advent of the AppStore for OS X, makes me fear that the next or second-to-next version of OS X will become as closed as iOS, with the AppStore as the only "official" way to install software. But right now, that's wild speculation.

Equi, Nugget, what i missed in your posts is the fact that OS X is based on NeXTstep, the brilliant os Steve Jobs' company NeXT devoloped in the 90s during his absence from Apple for it's even-more-brilliant NeXTcube. NeXTstep (and thus, OS X) combine a mach kernel with a BSD-derivate environment, so it should be of no surprise that, given the right libs are installed, all BSD source should compile.

But back to Linux ;)

I still got a few problems with Linux on my ThinkPad, any ideas?
- The gnome GPointingDevice control panel fails to activate two-finger scrolling, setting the EmulateTwoFingerMinZ parameter needed to enable two-finger scrolling on non-multitouch touchpads to a three-digit value that is not helpful. What makes it even less helpful is the fact that GPointingDevice overwrites the correct values i set in a modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf. For now i simply added "/usr/bin/synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1 EmulateTwoFingerMinZ=35" to the Gnome startup items. Sadly, when waking the system up from sleep, this settings are gone and i have to re-enter them by console. Any ideas how to fix this?

-Speaking of waking up from sleep, when a video DVD is inserted into the drive and i wake the machine up, Gnome autoplays it, which is extremely annoying. How do i disable autoplay-from-sleep"?

-I have not yet found a way to disable power management and the screensaver automatically when playing a file in VLC. Again, any ideas?

Linux, sooooo ready for the desktop *sigh*

You might want to try looking in gconf. It was pretty understandable when I used it last.

Just to interrupt your (endless) discussion for a short while:

I have experienced some problems with YouTube on Firefox, with movies suddenly crashing while I'm surfing in a seperate window. Could this be Flash-related? It seems like Flash isn't able to handle much more than one "application" at a time.

EDIT: I'm on Ubuntu 10.10

On an unrelated note all Portuguese people eat babies I read it on a blog somewhere. I also think Brazil is overrated so Portugal is probably not worth visiting. Mpicco keys cars so I assume everyone else there does too.

I key cars? You're confusing me with someone else I'm sure. I never keyed a car in my life.

I have experienced some problems with YouTube on Firefox, with movies suddenly crashing while I'm surfing in a seperate window. Could this be Flash-related? It seems like Flash isn't able to handle much more than one "application" at a time.

32-bit or 64-bit?

I key cars? You're confusing me with someone else I'm sure. I never keyed a car in my life.

Ooops. I apologies for that. I confused you for Pedrocas. Sorry.

You might want to try looking in gconf. It was pretty understandable when I used it last.
Gconf, sadly, is just noting if the "two-finger scroll enabled" box is checked - the acutual value passed to the synaptics driver seems to be hardcoded or configured somewhere else. Will look into into gconf for the autostart issue, though.

Are you using Adobe's flash plugin of the free flash plugin that comes as standard?

Well, You Tube didn't recognise any Flash plugin from scratch, so I installed Adobe Flash.

Well, You Tube didn't recognise any Flash plugin from scratch, so I installed Adobe Flash.

With with method? By installing flashplugin-nonfree from Synaptic?

Don't think so. Just ran the "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer" commando in Terminal.

Don't think so. Just ran the "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer" commando in Terminal.

Yep, that's the Adobe one. I'll try to reproduce the problem you described later today.

I dunno if the VLC problem is related, but it's quite annoying that the system tries to go on to screen saver when youtube videos are fullscreen, as well. Haven't found a solution for that yet.

I dunno if the VLC problem is related, but it's quite annoying that the system tries to go on to screen saver when youtube videos are fullscreen, as well. Haven't found a solution for that yet.

There's no solution for this (not even on Windows, IIRC) because the system can't decide which flash movies are just ads and thus should not override the screensaver and which are movies you actually want to watch.

VLC/Mac was able to tell the system "i am playing a video, please keep the display on". Haven't found a button for this in VLC/Linux, so far.

Youtube videos prevent the screensaver kicking in when in fullscreen, I've seen 20 minute long videos or more without problem (windows xp). I dunno about other video streaming sites but I bet it's the same... Can't get it to work in Ubuntu though, in all fairness, flash is a bit broken everywhere. Least of all in Windows, but everywhere.