The GNU/Linux thread

I did something similar at some point on a RedHat based distro (can't remember the name it was one of the Russian ones, I think it was ASP) what I did was set VNC as the X server for that particular machine instead of X11. Don't remember all the specifics (we are talking like 10 years ago), but the easiest way you to do what you want to do is dump VNC altogether and go with NX, free version allows only two users to connect though, it's also SSH encrypted.

Also perhaps look into running it as a daemon (think Windows service) then it should run when the computer runs.

SSH is already there and fine for me, but the idea is to have a GUI so that everyone can figure it out (I'll put a couple of icons on the desktop so they can, for example, kill and restart the program, or download a Java/Minecraft update).

I've never heard of NX, are you talking about this? http://freenx.berlios.de/

VNC was only chosen because it's what I know of that is cross platform, I really don't care what is used as long as it works. I just feel like I am missing something, if this was a Windows box I would just get TightVNC and set a password in its own interface, then drop a shortcut in Startup assuming the installer didn't do that already. And it seems like it should be no harder in Lubuntu, so maybe the issue is that what is supposed to work is not working and I need to get another distro.

Yep that's the one I was talking about, basically VNC on steroids. I never actually played with Lubuntu so I can't give you very specific directions, I don't think there should be any issue with using VNC all it is an X server really.

I still think a GUI is unnecessary and is only making matters more complicated. You can make a simple script like:

restartMC.sh said:
#!/bin/sh
killall Minecraft -1

Put it into an executable path (just throw it under /usr/local/bin). Then when a buddy logs on he can type "restartMC" and the server will restart. For Java updates you'll want to use the distribution's package management so as to not compromise the system. This will require some training regardless if there is a GUI or not.

It works now. I reinstalled from the CD and did the same thing again.... and this time it works. I have no idea. Maybe I am just that bad without my Windows crutch.

I really just think it is easier for everyone involved (including myself) to do it this way. It's been running a CLI-only system for a while until now...

I just wish I knew what I did wrong originally, it's not a hard thing. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

For the record, Lubuntu appears to be quite nice, I really don't like the direction Ubuntu has taken recently.

Aaaand not even 24 hours after Wheezy has gone stable, the debian devs go mad and dump a metric fuckton of updates into sid. We'll see what breaks.

Just put in on a USB stick. Will install later.

Aaaand not even 24 hours after Wheezy has gone stable, the debian devs go mad and dump a metric fuckton of updates into sid. We'll see what breaks.
Too much broke: Virtualbox, pidgin and Skype all in a single day. Virtualbox due to the Version in sid being too old to work with Linux 3.8, Skype due to someone massively breaking the dependencies in the i386 tree and pidgin, well, pidgin just randomly freezes.
That means of the things I use on a daily basis, only Iceweasel, Evolution and LibreOffice kept working.
I am currently downgrading to testing.

Last edited:
@93Flareside is not the only necromancer on FinalGear.

I just solved a Linux problem by using Windows. Literally.

So, my Dell laptop suddenly had no sound when on my USB-C docking station, also from Dell. This problem manifested after I unplugged the laptop from the docking station while running yesterday or the evening before, I think. Before everything was fine. When not plugged into the docking station, the internal speakers of the laptop worked fine.

After lots of googling and no solution in sight, I stumbled upon someone reporting that booting into Windows and back solved a similar problem for him. Luckily, I have my work laptop at home, so I hooked that up to the docking station, booted, tested sound - working fine - switched it off again and tried again with my Linux laptop. Works fine now.

What. The. Fuck.

What. The. Fuck.
The problem has returned. I have the feeling that my newly acquired laptop from the client I now work with causes it, somehow confusing the docking station. The fix yesterday evening was with my regular work laptop.
This is deeply annoying. I will investigate after work hours...

And it's confirmed. The new Precision 5550 somehow changes something in the docking station. the few-year-old Latitude 5590 fixes it.

I HEARBY RAISE THIS THREAD FROM DEATH! ....after its latest death.

@93Flareside is not the only necromancer on FinalGear.

I just solved a Linux problem by using Windows. Literally.

So, my Dell laptop suddenly had no sound when on my USB-C docking station, also from Dell. This problem manifested after I unplugged the laptop from the docking station while running yesterday or the evening before, I think. Before everything was fine. When not plugged into the docking station, the internal speakers of the laptop worked fine.

After lots of googling and no solution in sight, I stumbled upon someone reporting that booting into Windows and back solved a similar problem for him. Luckily, I have my work laptop at home, so I hooked that up to the docking station, booted, tested sound - working fine - switched it off again and tried again with my Linux laptop. Works fine now.

What. The. Fuck.

its a good thing you only got the "no sound", and not the "all usb-ports, screen connections, nic's aren't working" issue (in windows thou).

The dock made the thunderbolt (aka pci-buss) in weird mode after you started the laptop with it and took it away for a meet and then came back.
which was fixed by updating the sound driver of the dock in windows.....