The Grand Tour: Launch Date

What could possibly go wrong?

Guess the BBC haven't sued them for that yet.

Guess the BBC haven't sued them for that yet.

There's a hope that CHM's lawyers have realized that the BBC doesn't own everything. There are some things that are common usage or are in the public domain and CHM can use them with impunity.

Gonna have to get their ass's in gear then, they've still only filmed in 1 tent location so far, haven't they?

Gonna have to get their ass's in gear then, they've still only filmed in 1 tent location so far, haven't they?
They only have to introduce some videos and talk some bullshit in the tent, how is that a problem in your mind?

When they were doing Top Gear they filmed the studio bits on Wednesday and aired the episode on Sunday.
They have part of the old crew, they know how it worked before - these things aren't going to change.

That video, its not enough, but its enough

They only have to introduce some videos and talk some bullshit in the tent, how is that a problem in your mind?

When they were doing Top Gear they filmed the studio bits on Wednesday and aired the episode on Sunday.
They have part of the old crew, they know how it worked before - these things aren't going to change.

My point is they have done one tent filming so far and the next is just over a week away, that's almost 2 1/2 months between the 1st and 2nd tent filmings. They need to ramp up the tent show frequency massively IF there is going to be a tent in every show.

I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing although Clarkson has already said it is a massive task with the tent filmings because they are basically building a new studio set every time. It is nothing like the old show as they just turned up every week and did the filming, they didn't have to rebuild the studio every week.

Last edited:
Press Release:

Amazon Prime Video to Launch the Highly Anticipated New Series The Grand Tour on Friday, November 18

New episodes starring Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May?the three celebrated hosts from one of the world?s most popular TV shows?to be released every Friday for 12 weeks, only on Amazon Prime Video

The_Grand_Tour_Premiere_Day.jpg

The Grand Tour launches Friday, November 18

September 16, 2016 01:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN)?Today, Amazon has announced the highly anticipated launch date of the new Amazon Original series The Grand Tour with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. New episodes will be released weekly on Amazon Prime Video, every Friday beginning November 18, exclusively for Prime members.

The first episode of The Grand Tour will feature Jeremy, James and Richard in their first studio tent recording in California, which is being filmed later this month.

?Customers have been desperate to find out when they can watch their favorite team back on screen, so we are very excited to announce the launch date of one of the most globally anticipated shows of 2016,? said Jay Marine, Vice President of Amazon Prime Video EU. ?The guys have been having a blast filming the show around the world and we can?t wait for fans to see it weekly beginning November 18, only on Amazon Prime Video.?

Prime members can watch The Grand Tour via the Amazon Video app for TVs, connected devices including Fire TV, mobile devices and online at www.amazon.com/thegrandtour. For a list of all Amazon Video compatible devices, visit www.amazon.com/howtostream.

Jeremy, Richard and James have committed to three series of The Grand Tour as part of a landmark global TV deal and for the last year, the team have been traveling the world filming this first series in exciting locations across the globe. Their Grand Tour also includes studio audience recordings filmed in front of a live audience in their giant traveling tent. The team has already brought the tent to Johannesburg and will be heading to California later this month. Stay tuned for more worldwide tent locations, coming soon.

Fans can follow The Grand Tour on Facebook (www.facebook.com/thegrandtour) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/thegrandtour) and at www.amazon.com/thegrandtour to be the first to get news about the show and future locations.

View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160915006685/en/

US- http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2203226
UK- http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=251199&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2203233

My point is they have done one tent filming so far and the next is just over a week away, that's almost 2 1/2 months between the 1st and 2nd tent filmings. They need to ramp up the tent show frequency massively IF there is going to be a tent in every show.
That goes without saying, but they had to do the features as well. The amount of filming for features should decline towards the start of a series and ramp up again when a series ends.

Additionally, they don't have any features from previous series which they can use to fill blanks if needed. That means they have to have films for 12 episodes on tap when the series begins.

Things I noted:

-Amphibious vehicles! 0:06
-Game of Thrones set? 0:08
-Ferrari vs McLaren vs Porsche hybrid showdown 0:19
-Taking a swing at BBC lawyers 0:24

Gonna be great :D

Who said they will only be filming one show in each tent? I don't remember how many cities they planned to film in, but it seems foolish to only do one.

Well, no. There are only two phrases where the BBC's lawyers might be called in:
"Ambitious but rubbish"
"How hard can it be?"

Both in common usage and used well before TGUK came along - even the BBC. Add 'What could possibly go wrong?' which I keep hearing on other TV shows and elsewhere. As phases, HHCIB? and WCPGW? have no doubt been around for as long as the English language. It's just the cynical, pessimistic CHM delivery that gave these remarks the giggle factor. Not sure how the BBC would say that they own the context of a commonly used phase :think:

Who said they will only be filming one show in each tent? I don't remember how many cities they planned to film in, but it seems foolish to only do one.
Yeah, they can set up the tent and film several shows in the same spot.

I don't think they ever said each show would be filmed in a different place. Only that the tent would move around.

Clarkson himself said it, a direct quote:

"We'll be travelling the world hosting each episode in a different country, from a giant tent. It's a sort of "grand tour", if you like. So we've decided to call it 'The Grand Tour'"

If I remember correctly, Andy Wilman said that they have two sets of tents. One being construct while the other is being use.

I'm so stoked I cannot wait. I've started watching some of their epic trips in anticipation. Watched Burma tonight. :D