The Grand Unified Top Gear Australia Audition Video Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for setting up this thread, it will be a great repository into the future when the auditions are a distant thought from the past!

No probs. To be honest, I feel a little awkward, as if it's a conflict of interest (i.e. I've auditioned myself, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to set up such a thread) ... but, seeing as though there wasn't a mad rush of volunteers, plus the fact that the major TG forum on the intertubes MUST have a TGA Audition thread ... here we are. I think my comments are fairly non-committal for the most part ... except - of course - when I'm genuinely impressed.

Thanks, tone76, for all your work compiling everybody's vids, and the swell review! I'm your "petrolhead from way back" (which I'm taking as a compliment) and you're right, I shot that Northern Territory stuff back in December 2006. It sat unedited on a shelf throughout last year until a friend said "Dave, have I found a job for you!" and let me know about these TG Australia auditions. Glad you liked it!

I can't wait to watch the others, but my web connection is crawling at the moment- once it bounces back I'm gonna watch 'em all. I already caught Ben Prendergast's (the WRX guy out of Sunbury) last week. Mmm, he is good. And to add insult to injury, his car can kick my arse...

Oh yeah, I scored a one-star rating from nickisaacs along with everybody else... man, Volvo drivers...

and another finalist checks into Final Gear ...

and another finalist checks into Final Gear ...

I'm your "petrolhead from way back" (which I'm taking as a compliment).

Welcome! Please stick around!

I shot that Northern Territory stuff back in December 2006. It sat unedited on a shelf throughout last year until a friend said "Dave, have I found a job for you!" and let me know about these TG Australia auditions. Glad you liked it!

I thought it was great. I suspect that because you've been at this for a bit longer than most, this could put you at an advantage ... and so it should. I would not be a bit surprised if you got a call from Freehand ... let us know if you do. :D

My audition was the second vehicle-related film I've made and subsequently released (well, bits of it i've released anyway ... nobody is going to know which female Australian celebrity can 'drive my reasonably priced car any time she wants!' other than the guys at Freehand ;)) ... and I've acquired a taste for it. No matter what the result, I can see myself making more video for YouTube consumption, and for that I apologise in advance.

Oh yeah, I scored a one-star rating from nickisaacs just like everybody else... man, Volvo drivers..

Nice. As I said to Michael (a.k.a. that f**king funny Mazda 121 dude), I don't think that YouTube ratings will make a huge difference to the outcome ...

Good luck!

Ah, pleased to meet you, YouTube user tone167... I'll look out for your future vids! I remember being drawn toward your video by the phrase you used in your blurb:

"This addresses the selection criteria re: "worst car".

And I thought "Now that's creative- reviewing a shitbox!" Good luck to you too... I hope you meet that female celebrity sometime soon.

Hey im the 121 guy!
Thanks for those who liked my vid!
"He reminds me of a cross between me and one of my car loving friends. Rubbish hair and quite funny"
OUCH.......... but true
I found it funny today when i checked youtube that the Volvo guy (nickisaacs) had taken the time to go around to EVERY entry and rate it 1 star........ too much time on his hands!

Brilliant effort mate, and good luck! :cool:

My Video is the first video I've made of any sort - I purchased the video camera (wow, what a huge squandering of cash - busted $2k on a HD hard disk based video camera for no expected return :/) specifically for the audition, and started filming on the monday when it was due on the friday, filmed some missing bits on the tuesday, editing (by my lovely wife, who was doing this also for the first time) on tue/wed, express post sending on thursday.
I feel that I could do a hell of a lot better and I'm a bit dissapointed I didn't leave more time to practise. That said, I'm now very tempted just to do a few internet videos for the hell of it, you never know, I could be internet famous!

Good luck to everyone else who auditioned, especially the people who were able to read the instructions on what to include in your audition! :)

Last edited:
So honestly guys how many entried do you reckon are in this thing now?

Youtube must surely only account for 00.001% of all the video's made for this thing........ makes you wonder what the ones we arent seeing are like

Thanks for this big arse combined post Tone!

I possted this in another thread but since this is the big one might as well do it here as well,
Do we get confirmation letters in the mail or do they email them? Cause i sent my about a week ago and still have got nothing?

I called them up and they said they got it, but u i dont just want to rely on that, because they could have easily just thought 'shit another top gear guy....yeeeah here it is, bye'

So honestly guys how many entried do you reckon are in this thing now?

Youtube must surely only account for 00.001% of all the video's made for this thing........ makes you wonder what the ones we arent seeing are like

Thanks for this big arse combined post Tone!
not sure - but judging by the amount on youtube that didn't even come close to what they actually asked for, there's probably a lot of crap :)
that said, it's a moderately onerous submission procedure, so it's likely people wouldn't have applied just for the hell of it. I'd say there is OVAR 9000* submissions? (that is pure conjecture)

I possted this in another thread but since this is the big one might as well do it here as well,
Do we get confirmation letters in the mail or do they email them? Cause i sent my about a week ago and still have got nothing?

I called them up and they said they got it, but u i dont just want to rely on that, because they could have easily just thought 'shit another top gear guy....yeeeah here it is, bye'
I would imagine that you would get a snail mail confirmation - but.. Harden Up :) stop stressing. you'll only hurt yourself!

Last edited:
Some very good efforts shown. Great personalities and use of humour in some. A few come across as a little boring, but that could just be due to editing and production perhaps. I can honestly say i wouldn't mind watching some of these guys with a decent budget and production crew behind them.

That bloke in his "stroked free niney free" is a fuckin cretin. Bet his neighbours love him. Any submissions of people pumping ringies etc on public roads should go straight in the bin. I like how his "demonstration of driving skills" consisted of a feat previously proven to be easily performed by grandmothers in a stock s2000.

And that woman... what the hell is a "mini minor"?

Ok, fair enough. I had only ever known the mini to be a "mini" and that the minor is a different car alltogether.

You missed a couple tone76

You missed a couple tone76

This was the first TGA submission I found on YouTube. I can't believe you missed it ... it's classic: :hump:

[YOUTUBE]kSXL15rc1EE[/YOUTUBE]

-----
First time poster, long time leecher.

This was another one. No laughs here, at all. And what's this shit about garbage trucks? The one that does our street only gives a single shake!

[YOUTUBE]9qDuM3lz-Oc[/YOUTUBE]

My Video is the first video I've made of any sort - I purchased the video camera (wow, what a huge squandering of cash - busted $2k on a HD hard disk based video camera for no expected return :/) specifically for the audition

:shock: Yikes! And I thought I was a big spender ... for this project, I spent $200 on two new microphones, as the built in microphone on my video camera is poo. I also spent $1.75 on a jar of You'll Love Coles Pickled Onions. :D

That said, I'm now very tempted just to do a few internet videos for the hell of it, you never know, I could be internet famous!

Filmmaking can be very addictive. I'm thinking about my next project. It's going to involve whatever I get to replace the Astra.

Oh, and I got the stock standard confirmation email saying that my application has been received. So, that's something. Here's hoping that the written submission impresses them more than the video; it could be my best shot at getting past the 'let's chuck this in the dumpster' stage. :D

Last edited:
My Audition Video

My Audition Video

I only found this forum a couple of weeks ago whilst looking for information about auditions. My video is here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKjHg9G7zA[/youtube]

It is basically a mini Top Gear segment rather than an audition where I tell the world about me.

I haven't heard confirmation from Freehand / SBS that they have got my application.

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
More fresh meat! Seems to know a lot about the Toyota Corolla Sportivo. Competent effort overall.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsjod6g3z80[/YOUTUBE]

Audi TT fanboys ... this is the one you've been waiting for! I'm not sure if someone with a Canadian accent would be Aussie enough for Top Gear Australia, though. Still, seems quite polished overall.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKk1FlxGAn0[/YOUTUBE]

A slightly obscure Aussie classic and an Aussie Workplace Challenge. Worth a look. Not so much funny as just fun.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFaoAfK790[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.