The Great Guzzi Problem

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Saab 900 Turbo
As many of you here know, I bought a Moto Guzzi V7 on March 29th. It had 11,000 miles. When I bought the bike, it had just undergone a full service 100 miles ago, including full valve adjust and oil change. It then sat for over a month.

When I bought it, the bike wouldn't idle - it would shut off when the throttle was closed. The dealer agreed to repair and deliver it for free.

Eventually, they diagnosed it (half a week later) as needing a new ECU. A week and a half passed while it shipped from Italy.

They put the new ECU in, and discovered that it now won't rev above 2,000 RPM. :dunno:

They told me this yesterday...after I called them. (They've been nice so far but their communication has been crappy; usually I call them first.) The mechanic I spoke with had been calling a Moto Guzzi certified factory tech in Orange County (probably this one) for help on how to install the ECU, and diagnosing the new fault. He was being incredibly vague about it. "I can give you a list of 20 things I checked, but you won't have time for that." Well no, I do want that list.

Now the bike is being repaired "indefinitely" and I won't know when I'll hear from them again.

While I never expected my Guzzi to be Honda-esque, there's the lingering concern that I'll have an especially unreliable Italian bike - moreso than usual, if that can be believed. I've never been terribly good at electrics, and the idea of patching up a crackling wiring harness in the middle of a weekend tour is enough to miss my catankerous Honda (which I sold last year, for those of you playing along).

I am (trying to be) a patient man and I understand that the dealer is very busy, but if my bike turns out to be a lemon from the start then I should consider my options. Should I call the dealer and demand they throw in an extended warranty for free? Should I return the bike and get back my down payment? Should I take it to an independent shop and verify the repairs? (I imagine the tech might have spoken to the guy from that shop, in fact.)

I was really hoping to get it back this weekend and ride it.

Last edited:
Have you actually accepted delivery and signed for the bike?

I don't remember the CA laws on 'buyers' remorse' or potential used vehicle lemon laws, but I would politely ask the dealer if they would let you out of the sales contract and either get you another bike or give you your money back if they can't get it fixed and to spec in a short amount of time - say, a week. In that time, I would research your local consumer protection laws but I have a sneaky suspicion you may be boned and stuck with that thing.

When I bought my bike brand new from the dealer it had to go back to the shop after three hundred feet. :p Since then it has been reliable; even after I dropped it (Italians break on their own terms, not someone else's).

I'd take it to shop to get it fixed. The dealer having issues replacing an ECU isn't a good sign.

Last edited:
I would be weary of keeping this thing and would try to bail on it.
Nearly a month and they can't make the thing work? Just no.

The dealer just called me. Evidently they've been giving this bike first priority, but still have no idea what's wrong with it. They've been on the phone with the West Coast technical advisor the entire time.

It's a full-blown medical mystery. If it's not fixed by Wednesday, they're considering hauling it to a dealer training session and having every West Coast Moto Guzzi tech diagnose it. :lol:

I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow, gonna ask about an extended warranty and talk to the tech. They replaced the ECU and the pickup but it only sometimes doesn't like to rev above 2,000.

Well, you wanted an Italian bike, now you've got one. ;p
Probably should have gone for that Scrambler after all eh? :D

Does this bike have a crank or cam position sensor?

They are bringing my motorcycle to a technical training seminar next Wednesday. 20 Guzzi techs will fly in from across the country to get certified on the latest Moto Guzzis, including the California. These 20 gentlemen will pore over my medical mystery of a motorcycle with the proverbial fine toothed comb, or so I've been told, and they'll bring the bike back on Friday.

All the King's horses, and all the King's men, couldn't put Moto Gutsy back together again.

Seems like an opportunity for a good story.

Seems like an opportunity for a good story.

Will definitely write something about it. I plan on bringing it to Todd of GuzziTech after I get it back. (Provided everything goes smoothly.)

I'd ask if you could visit the seminar. It sounds like something Guzzi would support for P.R. reasons.

What's the motorcycle equivalent of "it's never lupus?"

But yeah, keep us posted on this mystery. :blink:

I went back to the dealer today, and neatly took care of the problem by getting a different bike.

IMG_0427.JPG

2013 V7 Special. Wasn't expecting to get into a Special but the dealership cut me a better deal than on a 2013 Stone. Zero miles, two-year warranty, unlimited mileage, 1 year free roadside assistance. And it starts.

I take delivery on Tues.

So in other words, the other bike was not repairable in an economically feasible fashion?

Great looking bike, congratulations! I'm more than a bit jealous, I would love a brand new bike.

Yay, I like this solution. Congrats!!