The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters
The ones I liked, I really really liked. They were too inconsistant, though. I'm a EB Hybrid guage fan, but they might be too small for blues. Because the top end strings are thinner, they don't have to be as tight to hit the same notes, so they bend easier, though. I'm thinking about just going with the straight heavier gauge for snappier, tighter higher strings, I've been buying them for years and years and never had a "bad" string...not my experience with DRs.

I gotta say, though, that while they only had about 80% of the tone of an uncoated strings, the Elixers that came on my last guitar a) lasted a LONG time and b) felt teriffic.

I hope someday I'll learn to play some form of guitar, electric preferably but I really don't have an idea of how difficult it is to master.

Right, i've picked up an Elecy guitar for ?5 (yup, read it ?5).

My friend will teach me if I can get ome of the basics myself, but i'm finding I have really short thin fingers that are no good for even attempting chords, any one else had the same problem?

Your reach and flexibility will be the hardest thing to overcome when starting out, but give it time. If Spiderman were to take up playing the guitar, I'm sure Uncle Ben would have told him "With practice, comes great flexibility."

Before long, your pinky will be doing this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g[/YOUTUBE]
:lol::lol::lol: Or not...it looks like your pinky would have to be just as long as your ring finger, and mine sure isn't...

I hope someday I'll learn to play some form of guitar, electric preferably but I really don't have an idea of how difficult it is to master.

Master? That's tricky. Get good enough to have fun with it? That comes pretty easily. :)

Right, i've picked up an Elecy guitar for ?5 (yup, read it ?5).

My friend will teach me if I can get ome of the basics myself, but i'm finding I have really short thin fingers that are no good for even attempting chords, any one else had the same problem?

If you are serious about learning - get a good teacher.

You can teach yourself...but you will also teach yourself some wrong things. For example, I can't play using my pinky at all...I only use it for some chords...and very rarely.

You can teach yourself...but you will also teach yourself some wrong things. For example, I can't play using my pinky at all...I only use it for some chords...and very rarely.

I've had bad habbits since I first started, and even though I've been playing for about 20 years, I haven't really gotten any better for the last 18-and-a-half. It wasn't until I was already playing guitar for 8-9 years before I had a good teacher, but by then, I couldn't break my habbits even through 1-2 solid hours of playing a day for several months.

Oh, yeah...and even though guitar has a "cheater" sheet music called "tab" where there's a line for each string and a number for where to put your finger, please please please go ahead and learn how to read sheet music! Scales and modes and chords will make SO much more sense if you know what they represent. You'll be able to apply a little bit of knowledge to so many things.

Last edited:
Yeah, tabs can ruin you for life, it happened to me. But then again trying to read sheet music when I played the saxophone just made my head spin, it was the main reason I gave it up. When I started playing bass I picked up tabs and never put them down.

Guitar Pro is my best friend, and it's nice that it combines both sheet music and tabs, plus it's nice to use for accompaniment.

And it's nice for composition. I checked out a couple other apps, but most are geared entirely towards composing with a keyboard. Me, I'm not so good at the keys, I'll just stick with being a noob and manually entering every note. And I like guitar pro for that because you can do all your composing with a computer keyboard, not much mousework needed, it's quick and easy.

And it's nice for composition. I checked out a couple other apps, but most are geared entirely towards composing with a keyboard. Me, I'm not so good at the keys, I'll just stick with being a noob and manually entering every note. And I like guitar pro for that because you can do all your composing with a computer keyboard, not much mousework needed, it's quick and easy.

In my former band the other guitar player had the habit of writing music with guitar pro, and then he made me play all the parts that where impossible.. <_<

I have a tendency to use crazy time signatures when I'm in Guitar Pro to get the exact rhythm that I want. In one section it goes (one measure of each) 17/16, 17/32, 8/16, 17/16, 17/32, 9/16 and repeat.

Guitar Pro is my best friend, and it's nice that it combines both sheet music and tabs, plus it's nice to use for accompaniment.

agreed, i use guitar pro. it's great for learning because of the flexibility of the software where you could slow down the music and you could even create for your music and just mess around too.

i play guitar (electric) and bass guitar. i mainly play metal and no i'm not a pro, i wish i was.
both are Ibanez, left handed :)
here are my babies:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
I'm going to share my best performance so far. It's still very far from perfect, but I'm really pleased with the tone. And my playing isn't that bad (apart from a few places)

I play this completely by ear, because I couldn't find a good tab, and I can't read music either.

Deep Purple - Mistreated

^You certainly mistreated that tune! HARHARHAR!!

Sorry....

edit. I dug up an old clip that we recorded, i play the right rythm guitar and the solo! Enjoy!

http://senduit.com/7554be

Last edited:
I've been looking at loop pedals. Anyone suggest a good one for not too much coin? The ones I've been looking at all seem to be $300+ with a few in the $250 range. Not that I'm opposed to spend that much, it's just that I'm a bit strapped for cash and I kinda don't want to have to wait... :)

(That sounds impatient. But really, I'm actually quite a patient person lol)

Hey...you bought a Carvin! (almost :p )

Is that a vintage, or a modern one? Hmm...on the back of the headstock, it looks like a sticker...more modern then, I assume? The frets look too nice to be vintage, I think.

Not a fan of binding, but I like the flamed body sides. I wonder why they used the figured wood for the back, and not the top?

Looks COMFY, though!!! Is it a semi-hollow?

Its made to replicate/pay-homage to McCarntney's bass. It is indeed a semi-hollow.

Also, that guitar is WAY cheaper than a Carvin.