The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters

jensked

Do any of you guys play music yourself?

I play the guitar and the piano. I've got a Fender 50th anniversary Stratocaster and a Vox amplifier.

I play in a band called JiNX and we won our first rockrally yesterday. Huray !!

You can check our demo's on http://codus.madoka.be/jinx/demo.html. Site is in dutch of course but the music is in a universal language...

Where's Slash?!

Anyways, yea, I play too. I have a USA Strat from '91 and an Epi .335 - both of which I am far too attached to. I'm in a band (on hold) called 16th Round, whom play soft acoustic music ( www.16thround.com ) and I've just started jamming with another band, who are a little harder rocking.

I don't own a guitar, but I love the sound of guitars. I'd like to play bass though.
This all bc of the bass-solo (you don't get these a lot) of rancid at Pukkelpop a couple of years ago. That lasted for about 5 minutes, and I'll tell you, it was 5 minutes of heaven for me.

Greetz Johan

I've been playing guitar for about ten years now. Started with hard rock, metal, and punk, now I play mostly acoustic.

Not sjure who to vote for, Probably hendrix. He did so much for the guitar world.

I played abit of guitar a few years back... but playing music just never interested me... I have some POS classical guitar and some shit yamaha electric one, I don't think any of you want to see that :lol:

I've gotta go with Hendrix. He's not the best in terms of technical playing ability, but no one has come close to doing with a guitar what he did.

I'm a musician and complete music nut. I've been playing piano for 15 years (jeesh, that makes me feel old) and guitar for just about 2 years. Right now I have a very very cheap Samick acoustic that is about 8 years old. My parents bought it for my brother, who played it for less than 2 months and then stuck it in the attic. I dragged it out 2 years ago and have taught myself to play. I perform regularily playing piano and guitar. I'm still pretty nervous on stage with a guitar, but I'm getting better.

I'm looking to upgrade as I really want something that is easier to play, more flexible and better sounding. Currently I'm looking at a Taylor 110T, but I really only started looking a few weeks ago.

Well, I obviously think Hendrix was the absolute greatest guitar player!
But his superstardom only lasted for 4 years (1966-1970). But he was the best. On the other hand you have Clapton: a carreer that started more than 40 years ago and since then he has always been on the top. And his soloing....drool

check out http://launch.yahoo.com for music videos...
Take I shot the sherrif live by Eric Clapton and listen for that solo !

By the way, I also used to be nervous for playing in front of people, but that has totally gone away. I'm still a bit tensed, but that's healthy. My hands don't shake anymore. Now I just enjoy the ride and enjoy the audiences attention ;-)

Well, out of that list, I'd have to give it to Hendrix, simply because he was so influencial and imaginative. Although the other Jimmy is absolutely amazing too I must say.

i voted for jimmy hendrix, he is still talked about after all those years

and also because he was one of the first to make music like that.
and the fact he was left handed, and he had to learn to play on a right-hand guitar. reverse the strings and turn it over :lol:

but why has no one voted for jimmy page yet? he rocks as well. led zeppelin rocks!!!! they are my number 1 band, and will always be. they made the best music ever!

yeah you're right man...Led Zep is the best band ever.

But there's nothing special about Hendrix' guitar...it was a right handed guitar, but he reversed it and strung the strings lefthanded...so it's just like taking a lefty guitar. He didn't want a lefty Stratocaster because he thought that those were worse. And above all, the pick-ups of his Strat give an unusual sound because the pickups were designed to have the strings strung righthanded.

He COULD play on a regular right-strung, righthanded guitar, but he only did that when there was no immediate lefty in the neighburhoud.

zenon said:
I'm looking to upgrade as I really want something that is easier to play, more flexible and better sounding. Currently I'm looking at a Taylor 110T, but I really only started looking a few weeks ago.

I personally like Washburn Acoustic guitars. I've had 2 so far and they've both been really good. They really hold their value too.

I've got an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe...plays like an electric. The neck is super-slim.

But you have to be for the looks :)

Taylor and Washburn are also pretty good I think.

But one day, the Martin 000-28ECB is gonna be mine :) for no more than $ 10.000

000-28ECB_f.jpg

well, the higher frets usually don't sound that great on an acoustic because theirs not much sustain. You can't really play a shredding guitar solo and expect it to sound like an electric. Plus, acoustics with cutaways usually have thinner bodies resulting in a weaker sound, which is ok if you have an acoustic/electric amp, but for just playing acoustic unplugged, you can't beat the sound of a full body acoustic guitar. In fact, if you do play live, it's better to mic a fullbody than it is to plug in an acoustic/electric cutaway style guitar.

Well, I do play with an acoustic amp when playing live, but I also do understand where you're coming from on the sound front unplugged. When strumming the simple chords out unplugged, the full bodies do sound better.

Just curious: What type of music do you usually play on acoustic?

Mostly alt-country. Check out my band by clicking on my sig - our EP is on there in MP3 form. The site needs a serious updat though :)

sorry to bring up an old thread but i play the guitar too. here are some pics of my guitars.
my ovation

my hendrix style tele with a humbucker

small amp

big amp (nothing like marshall distortion)

tube amp

my dads early 70s martin

my dads beater guild thats actually a real nice guitar

my dads electric

my dads amp that never gets used

my dads ovation (same as mine but righty and color)

my prosthetics

if anyone knows anyone interseted in buying an amp, my marshall amp and cabinent are for sale. they have been barely used and are in good shape.

Re: The guitar thread

jensked said:
Do any of you guys play music yourself?

I play the guitar and the piano. I've got a Fender 50th anniversary Stratocaster and a Vox amplifier.

I play in a band called JiNX and we won our first rockrally yesterday. Huray !!

You can check our demo's on http://codus.madoka.be/jinx/demo.html. Site is in dutch of course but the music is in a universal language...
NICE...

but i would put the bass up for 1 or 2 dB, guitar 2 or 3 dB and definately the basedrum (which i cant hear at all) and the snare and other drums with 3 or 4 dB up cuz they sound pretty soft as well...

it feels a little bit too soft-style to me (im more into rock but hey i like keane as well so its allright), but im curious what the song would sound like if it was mastered different... i think it would have more body, more rythm. If you have recorded it multitrack remastering would be pretty easy...

btw im just being a little critical since i do some mixing myself for hobby and i think the song could sound better (which is better for you guys :p) so dont take it too hard...

patrick10 said:
big amp (nothing like marshall distortion)

if anyone knows anyone interseted in buying an amp, my marshall amp and cabinent are for sale. they have been barely used and are in good shape.
that thing would be rather expensive wouldnt it?