The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters
I've heard several people ask "What's the best guitar for metal?" to that the answer is always "The one that works." Teles can be awesome rock guitars, as can hollow-bodies (ask Nugent or Thorogood.) A guitar doesn't need to be pointy or have EMGs. Black paint helps, though. ;)

I've heard several people ask "What's the best guitar for metal?" to that the answer is always "The one that works." Teles can be awesome rock guitars, as can hollow-bodies (ask Nugent or Thorogood.) A guitar doesn't need to be pointy or have EMGs. Black paint helps, though. ;)

Lies, all lies!

Zakk Wylde is a fan of the Les Paul, and last I checked he is pretty metal.

5e968572-4265-4596-9f10-5379f9a2d7b9.jpg

Yes, but NecroJoe never said anything about Les Pauls, and you might wanna have a gander at the pickups... ;)
But the Gibson 500t coupled with a 496r is in my oppinion the best Metal rythm sound you can get.

Last edited:
Yes, but NecroJoe never said anything about Les Pauls, and you might wanna have a gander at the pickups... ;)
But the Gibson 500t coupled with a 496r is in my oppinion the best Metal rythm sound you can get.
I know they are EMG's. I just wanted to say you don't need like blades and horns and shit coming out to be a metal guitar.

Woo, finally got my guitar up here!

Cheap Yamaha ERG 121 with Yamaha GA-10 amp, not exactly musical bliss but a decent learners set up methinks. Main problem is I don't think I've changed the strings... ever, after 6+ years of ownership (and almost no playing!), need to sort that out.
Already starting to play ahead of my actually ability, did the same with piano, can't read sheet music, everything is from memory or ear. Not good, need to actually learn how to play properly first...
My problem: too much musical passion not enough technical knowledge. :rolleyes:

Hoping to go down the blues/classic rock route, if I get properly good I've promised myself a Les Paul Studio. We'll see how this turns out in a few years time I guess! :lol:

If you don't like changing strings, I do recomment getting a nice set if Elixers. They only cost a little bit more, but I played my guitar for nearly 2 years before I realized I hadn't changed my strings. And once I did? The new ones didn't sound or feel much better. Some purists don't like them, but they are smooth, sound decent and last for-friggin-ever. Just don't cheap out on off-brand coated strings. They will get all flakey and rough.

I used to own a Les Paul studio...while it SOUNDED good, it absolutely hated the painted neck. It was worse than most, becuse I think they still used nicto-cellulose clear coat on it, which gets VERY sticky when warm...and mine was black, and my band played a lot of outdoor gigs. Sun + nitro-coated black LP = sticky neck. No thank you. Poly or tung-oil for me from that point on. Don't cecide on a guitar unless you've spent a year trying every guitar in the store several times over. When the time comes to buy one, you'll know which one you keep coming back to.

I'm in love with one particular company's products, but if I had to pick one out from the local Guitar Center out of ANY instrument they had there, it would be one particular hollow-bodied Telecaster. Which is bizare because I don't typically like most Fenders, I have always hated the look of Teles, and I'm not a fan of glossy fretboards. But this is the guitar I'd leave the store with, no questions asked. It plays like no other and sounds like no other. I couldn't care less about it's looks when I'm playing it. And, it's only like $650. That's right: I'd take it over any PRS, Parker, Gibson etc they have.

If you don't like changing strings, I do recomment getting a nice set if Elixers. They only cost a little bit more, but I played my guitar for nearly 2 years before I realized I hadn't changed my strings. And once I did? The new ones didn't sound or feel much better. Some purists don't like them, but they are smooth, sound decent and last for-friggin-ever. Just don't cheap out on off-brand coated strings. They will get all flakey and rough.

I used to own a Les Paul studio...while it SOUNDED good, it absolutely hated the painted neck. It was worse than most, becuse I think they still used nicto-cellulose clear coat on it, which gets VERY sticky when warm...and mine was black, and my band played a lot of outdoor gigs. Sun + nitro-coated black LP = sticky neck. No thank you. Poly or tung-oil for me from that point on. Don't cecide on a guitar unless you've spent a year trying every guitar in the store several times over. When the time comes to buy one, you'll know which one you keep coming back to.

I'm in love with one particular company's products, but if I had to pick one out from the local Guitar Center out of ANY instrument they had there, it would be one particular hollow-bodied Telecaster. Which is bizare because I don't typically like most Fenders, I have always hated the look of Teles, and I'm not a fan of glossy fretboards. But this is the guitar I'd leave the store with, no questions asked. It plays like no other and sounds like no other. I couldn't care less about it's looks when I'm playing it. And, it's only like $650. That's right: I'd take it over any PRS, Parker, Gibson etc they have.
I like Elixers, for my acoustic which takes a beating, and especially for my Strat with a Floyd Rose. That is a bitch and a half to change the strings on, so the durability of Elixirs are much needed.

Hey guys, figured I'd post my latest guitar video, jamming along with The Allman Brothers Band:

Hope you enjoy it......Got interrupted at the end, but it was game time, so no time to record it again. :)

I've really been working on my right hand technique (picking hand), playing in the style of Derek Trucks (no pick, and muting any unplayed strings with my thumb and other fingers). It's definitely trickier than using a pick, but it gives you a lot more control, and it's much cleaner because you don't have to worry about other strings ringing out, especially when you're bending up or using a lot of vibrato. Also, I like the more mellow tone of the fingers. It took me a few months to adjust, but I don't think I'll ever go back to a pick now. Playing with my fingers just feels much more natural and intimate (hopefully that's NOT what she said).

Here's my gear:

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Amp: Fender Blues Junior III
Pedal: BSE Green Screamer

Last edited:
Awesome! I tried going pick-less for a while, but I kept getting the urge to grow out my finger nails a little bit...but that is gross. *laughs*

Great video, though!

So after not having played the guitar for a few months i picked it up again.
What an epic mess it was, i have some work to do.. :(

Awesome! I tried going pick-less for a while, but I kept getting the urge to grow out my finger nails a little bit...but that is gross. *laughs*

Great video, though!

Thanks man! Yeah, I let two of my fingernails grow out just a bit, but not much. Just a little bit of white nail to improve the tone (otherwise it's more muffled). The rest I keep short.

Thanks for checking out the vid. I'm glad you liked it!