The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters
Hopefully I'll be picking up my Dunlop 95Q wah tomorrow, saturday or Monday. It's basically the 535Q, but with the footswitch mechanism like most Morelys...looking forward to it.

Yeha, I know I'm a Carvin fanboy, though and through, but damn that's one sexy guitar. If I'm on anyone's gift list, my birthday is coming up in July...

I would order it without the trem, though...love that streaky ebony, though!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/single.php?Serial=112793

112793b.jpg

Carvin makes good gear.
For my main amp, I went with a Splawn, but I was very tempted by their X100 head.
I got the V3M for home use though.

I was ready to plop my money down for an Egnater Rebel, but held off for NAMM because of rumors of the V3M. I bought that instead, but I wouldn't have been dissapointed either way.

Love the python-covered amp. If you are on their forum at all, I'm spudmunkey. Your V220s look familiar.

Did you get the wah pedal yet, btw?

Yes, I did actually...and I'm really fucking happy with it! To me, any wah I've ever used always sounded WAAAAY to harsh in person...but I've also never played with one in a band setting, so it's probably necessary to stnd out in the mix...

But anyways, I can turn this one down so that it's a pretty subtle effect.

Also, Morleys to me always were even more harsh than just about any Crybaby I've tried, but I MUCH preffer their switching...so when I found this Dunlop, I had to give it a shot, and I simply couldn't be happier.

I wish the knobs and jacks were labeled on the side of the pedal...it's labeled on the plate on the bottom of the pedal, so until I really get used to it, I have to keep flipping it over. Also, the batter connects to a long lead with the "cap" you click on to the battery. I much preffer the kind where you just intsert the battery like you would with anything that uses AA or C batteries. I'll probably get some sort of power brick...eventually...I just preffer the other kind of battery compartment.

Also, I haven't quite figured out the "boost" button yet...it's not doing what I thought it would be doing, but admittedly I haven't played around with that very much.

I forgot this thread existed! :blink:

gHqNO.jpg

2011 Fender Stratocaster American Standard, 2005 Fender acoustic, and 2011 Squier Classic Vibe Custom, unanimously agreed to be one of the best series of guitars for the money Squier or Fender has ever produced. Not shown is my amp, a Vox VT50 and multi effects pedal, a BOSS ME-50.

Yes, I am a Fender fanboi. The 25.5" scale and 9.5" radius are are most comfortable for me, I hatehatehate Gibson's 24.75 scale and flat radius, especially since I am not a soloist.

Last edited:
Tele's seem to be the only Fenders that fit me, which is hilarious since I MUCH preffer the strat body/headstock shape. Still, a semi-hollow tele is one of the 4 contenders for my next guitar.

I wish I had a house to hang my guitars. :( Ours is too small to put them anywhere out of the way, our heating/cooling/humidity control is terrible and it's earthquake country. The last part bothers me the least, though. If stud-mounded Hercules hangers can't hang on to the guitar or the wall, my guitar(s) would probably be the least of our troubles...

25.5" is usually too long for me, unfortunately. Just that little bit too tight. Although, I've got my 25" single-cut with a string-through bridge for string-bending wankery, I could always make the strat-tele my ultra spank/quack guitar and put 12s on it. *laughs* Who am I kidding? I couldn't even make it 9 seconds into an SRV song. :p

I'm still loving my Les Paul. One of my friends is trying to talk me into getting a Strat too...I like his, but I'm not entirely sold on spending the money on one. My Les Paul just feels so perfect in my hands. It's weird to play anything else now.

Love the python-covered amp. If you are on their forum at all, I'm spudmunkey. Your V220s look familiar.

I used to be on the Carvin forum, but gave up on it for some reason or other. My handle there was probably Monster Joe or Sancho.

I'm still loving my Les Paul. One of my friends is trying to talk me into getting a Strat too...I like his, but I'm not entirely sold on spending the money on one. My Les Paul just feels so perfect in my hands. It's weird to play anything else now.

I mean, I've got a single-cut with dual humbuckers, but I tell you, trying to do Floyd covers, or something recorded with single coils...it always sounds "not-quite" to me...and my guitar has coil-splitters, but it's not the same...and I just can't help but think that the extra scale length of (most) bolt-on guitars aids the quack/snap you get from a strat-style guitar.

I used to be on the Carvin forum, but gave up on it for some reason or other. My handle there was probably Monster Joe or Sancho.

So then you've missed MY Python-covered V3M. :)

P1020304.jpg

I mean, I've got a single-cut with dual humbuckers, but I tell you, trying to do Floyd covers, or something recorded with single coils...it always sounds "not-quite" to me...and my guitar has coil-splitters, but it's not the same...and I just can't help but think that the extra scale length of (most) bolt-on guitars aids the quack/snap you get from a strat-style guitar.
If you need Strat tones, you have to get a Strat (or a clone, obviously).

So then you've missed MY Python-covered V3M. :)

P1020304.jpg
Yes I had:lol:

I want one of these soooo bad :
2guitars-jb200c.jpg

These are always entertaining...but the wrong gain setting about 70% of the time. :)

Also, I'd like it better if it were in chronological order.

That said, as someone who has alway been known as a guy who can play PARTS of 1000 songs (but not many whole songs :) ), I still enjoyed it.

Oh...also...some of those NEED humbuckers, at least a 25" scale, and a set neck. :)

a 25" scale and humbuckers? That would be PRS territory.

The old man (turned 67 this year) has still got it!

a 25" scale and humbuckers? That would be PRS territory.

*laughs* Sorry...meant "at most"

In other news...

A new Guitar Center just opened up a few miles from my house. When I shows up 10 minutes after the doors were opened, and there were still 217 people outside lined up. I stuck around because they were havng giveaways, and I had nothing better to do. I didn't win anything good, but I got a free shirt to sleep in.

When I got inside, though...shit...every single amplifier in the store had a guitar plugged into it, they were all turned up to 9, and everyone had someone either "shredding" or stumbling through the solo from "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I've never in my life heard a more hellacious cacophony.

Last edited:
So is there an easy way to retune a tab in GP6 from a drop tuning to standard tuning?

When I got inside, though...shit...every single amplifier in the store had a guitar plugged into it, they were all turned up to 9, and everyone had someone either "shredding" or stumbling through the solo from "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I've never in my life heard a more hellacious cacophony.

When I was in my local GC some years ago, I was waiting in line to buy strings, and wanted to stab a drumstick through my ears. One my right side was a teenager with some knockoff strat trying (and failing miserably) to play Stairway To Heaven, on my left side was another kid with an Epiphone Les Paul trying (and failing miserably) to play Enter Sandman. I had suck in stereo and gave serious thought to just leaving or unplugging their guitars to keep my sanity.