The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters
ouch!

I found a VGS Soulmaster 120/7 ET for next to nothing!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/imgur.com\/a\/NeXSRht"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
I promised I wouldn't buy this until I sold my other gear first...

oops.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/media.sweetwater.com\/api\/i\/q-82__ha-a1f46231fdf4eed6__hmac-0d22851e5086ae416422e8520eb558c60c810688\/images\/items\/750\/Helix-large.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Guitars!!!
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"3456","width":"4608","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/BdhORbF.jpg"}[/IMG2]

NecroJoe;n3551562 said:
I promised I wouldn't buy this until I sold my other gear first...

oops.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/media.sweetwater.com\/api\/i\/q-82__ha-a1f46231fdf4eed6__hmac-0d22851e5086ae416422e8520eb558c60c810688\/images\/items\/750\/Helix-large.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Well?!?

Thoughts?!?!?

The more gigs I play the less I like carrying an amp, especially since I only play guitar on 1/5th of my bands songs, I play keys primarily.

Karoug;n3551729 said:
Guitars!!!

Hells yea!!

Although, I'd get mightly sick of reaching over the TV to grab those...but I suspect those are ones that may get played less, no? Either way, looks great! I LOOOVE having mine up!

Crazyjeeper;n3551753 said:
Well?!?

Thoughts?!?!?

The more gigs I play the less I like carrying an amp, especially since I only play guitar on 1/5th of my bands songs, I play keys primarily.

I actually haven't had a chance to play it much...basically just to test it and make sure it wasn't broken. Only reason I have it now instead of a couple weeks was because I got a 15% coupon from GC in the mail, and if I register it in the next few days, I can get the DAW/software one for $69 or $99 (normally $399). This is awesome, because my guitars and amp aren't going to be in the same room as my computer, so I can basically jam in my "guitar" room, and if I want to do some recording, I can just plug into my interface without having to move the floor unit. Plus, then I can record a "clean" track, and then when I'm away from my gear, I could load it up on my laptop and putz around with the amps, cabinet impulses, and effects until I get the sound I want...save that rig, and then upload it to the floor unit.

I can't wait to have some time to dig in!

Last edited:
NecroJoe;n3551754 said:
Hells yea!!

Although, I'd get mightly sick of reaching over the TV to grab those...but I suspect those are ones that may get played less, no? Either way, looks great! I LOOOVE having mine up!

No, we live in a small apartment, so that's all the space that's avalible for guitars.. :(
But we are looking for a bigger place, hopefully we can move before New years!

What's up, fellas? Been a long ass time since I've visited the forums, so don't know if ya still remember me, but here's a vid I just made of some Jimi inspired Red House improv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4qB_WwzfcY

Last edited:
Last edited:
But...it's not black. I'm very confused.

I know! I'm pretty terrified myself!

Just bought a used Alvarez 12 string acoustic. It's on it's way from it's former owner and should have it this week. Never owned a 12-string in 30 years of playing guitar. Cant wait!

The previous owner is currently the touring guitarist for Bob Seger.

Just bought a used Alvarez 12 string acoustic. It's on it's way from it's former owner and should have it this week. Never owned a 12-string in 30 years of playing guitar. Cant wait!

The previous owner is currently the touring guitarist for Bob Seger.

I only now realized I never posted pictures from the NGD:

84jGPDL.jpeg

It's my first maple-backed guitar. I don't have the ear to pick out any tonal differences since there're too many other variables to consider from my other guitars, but I know it's a very sustainable domestic wood, which I can appreciate, and something seen in more higher-end guitars than in years past instead of rosewood, tropical mahoganys, etc

Ktzzrw8.jpg

I know people shit on rosewood, because lots of cheap guitars use cheap "rosewood", but I can appreciate a nice piece of the better stuff, with richer color and some streaks.
hJ2R5LV.jpg

qdzYTO6.jpg

Later that year, I also picked up my first bass. I've "had" basses before, some for a number of years...but they were always loaners. It was $179, and the cheapest bass that didn't feel like it was less than $300. An Ibanez Talman, I think a TB100. I have a sheet of matte black vinyl wrap that I want to use to cover the red pearloid on the pickguard, to sort of murder it out, because I like the contrast of glossy black body with matte black pickguard and this looks a bit too "70s".

9t71T60.jpg

Then later that year, we took out first "real" vacation, and went to Hawaii (Maui). While there, my one goal was to buy a ukulele, made in Hawaii, from Hawaiian koa, that didn't feel like a toy, and my budget was $200. I found this one for $260, and I splurged, even though *some* of the manufacture was done in asia, but final assembly and finishing was done in Hawaii, from what I understand. But, that's what I had to do to have one that was actually "musical instrument quality" and not just "gift shop decor", and less than $500 for anything that was more made in Hawaii.

Pictured here on the chair in the Air B&B, appropriately...

PyzLdlT.jpg

fSXWIVX.jpg

By the end of 2019, I was able to do something that I've yearned for since I started playing guitar over 30 years ago: guitars hanging on the wall.

I know I've posted about it in the "I made dis" thread, or maybe the "home improvement" thread...but either way, it also should be here. Ha!

Amusingly the first guitar I hung up, I actually sold last year...
9Dp0hK1.jpeg

gQSrUrQ.jpeg

UtK1JkW.jpeg

NOTE: If anyone from the future stumbles across these photos and wants to do the same thing, take note: I installed the bottom rail too high. The headstocks between the guitars take up soo much room along with the hook hardware itself that this creates ZERO additional capacity over a single rail. To fit "double the guitars", the bottom rail would need to be closer to the floor so that the two rows don't conflict. We have a cat, and I was afraid it might try to chew on them, so I raised it up thinking it'd still work...it still holds guitars and looks more impressive, but doesn't actually hold more than just one rail would have.

Yes, the ones on the right are turned flat, because...

p8fJWC2.jpeg

To make sure the door wouldn't hit the guitars, I made a custom slat-rail-mounted, long-reach door stop that I hung between the guitars, out of some gorgeous claro walnut I found in a Woodcraft scrap cutoff bin, and a customized String Swing slat rail back plate.

DkpICnP.jpg

5X0tcx8.jpg

7YmLQVH.jpg

pVMDe58.jpg

Then in 2020, I received a guitar I ordered at the end of 2019. Behold: Excaliber.

Burled one-piece maple top with a hand-stained finish, with matching headstock and after-market back plate, swamp ash body with a transparent black finish, 5-piece maple/purpleheart neck, and a ziricote fretboard with abalone inlays, abalone headstock logo, and abalone topped knobs. Stainless steel frets, piezo electronics, chrome hardware.

8CidmH9.jpeg

Tp7djHP.jpeg

hKW4qjG.jpeg

Kiesel just came out with a bunch of new features last week, so their evolving "virtual builder" is getting more fun to play with.

The current front-runner, if I could buy a new guitar:

Their Lyra model, "purple drink" stain on quilted maple top with matching headstock shape, standard shape
walnut body
Richlite fretboard and quartersawn maple neck
Abalone ring inlays
Gold hardware and Hipshot Contour trem
Satin black pickguard
Stainless frets and silver headstock logo
Black pickups with gold pole pieces, abalone-topped gold knobs
Not seen from these angles, but there'd also be a thing natural maple layer between the walnut and the purple, like a pinstripe running around the whole body.
wHnHNSw.jpg

s3RY8gE.jpg

Incoming NGD in...probably 2-6 mo. *squee*

Not the one in the previous post, though.

Last edited:
s8DSlR0.jpeg

TbIX5Xe.jpeg

3DQxZYe.jpeg

ZIZHg5E.jpeg

Group shots (all from the same brand):

BIeqdq8.jpeg

9nK0xrR.jpeg

A photo the manufacturer shared to their social media:

wwVHg8s.jpeg

Since that new one came in, it's time to let one go, the one whose purpose is supplanted by the new one.

I wanted to get a cheap-ass piece of shit to practice electronics and fretwork. I spotted this used guitar at Guitar Center for $60. I thought I was getting a rocking deal but didn't realize at first that the headstock said "Starcaster" and not "Stratocaster". Hilariously it was only ever sold for $100 as new, at Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, etc...not even real music stores.

So I bought the guitar for $60, gutted the electronics, and proceeded to spend over $200 on replacement parts...

...and then proceeded to fail to get the new electronics working properly after multiple tries. 😅 I never even bothered to peel the protective plastic off of the new custom-made pickguard. :lmao: So it sat, unused, for years.

I'll miss it, though...I always loved the metallic black finish with the white pearloid pickguard. Maybe someday I'll get a 'proper' one in the same aesthetic.

I can't keep it, though. I have a self-imposed limit: I have limited my collection to one wall of hanging guitars, and all cases have to fit in the one closet. I'd love to get a Tele, a resonator, a mandolin, banjo, and a travel guitar...but since I'm not a gigging musician...I'm at "one in, one out" critical mass.

So as long as the little photo set was set up for the new guitar, I thought I'd use it to take some "for sale" pics of this 10-year tribute to sunk-cost-fallacy. 😅

UP2nEM4.jpg

qgizr16.jpg

thk4f7z.jpg

Well, it was a good run while it lasted...aa much as I've *loved* having my guitars on the wall, they had to come down.

I'm years ago, when they first went up, it was "the computer room". We both worked in our respective employers' offices, and this was just the sort of household/family computer room.

Then, once we both started working more from home, she took this bigger spare bedroom as her office, because my job often took me to job sites and I traveled more. The smaller spare bedroom for my office was fine. The guitars stayed hanging in "her" office, since they were already hung, and not in the way.

Then she left her job to start her own firm. So now, all of the resources she used to have access to in her old office will need to be kept her at home. So, so, do many fabric, tile and wood material samples...and we officially hit the breaking point for storage in her office, and the guitar wall will be converted to a "storage wall" of shelving. All of the guitars have been put in their cases, and put away in the hard-to-access closet.

And the bummer is that my office is too small...I dont have enough wall space to hang more than a couple, and neither of us want them up in the living room our our master bedroom.

I am le sad...