The Gun thread

So its not possible to walk into a store and exit with a weapon 10 minutes later?

When I purchased my pistol the other day, it took about a half hour with the paper work and phone call the store had to make.

Regarding the Rock Island Armory - they are entirely made by Armscorp in the Philipines. Not very well finished and not the most accurate but reasonably well made and you can do much worse at their price point. I'd still save up a bit and get a Springfield basic model, though.

A friend of mine has one. He likes it very much and we were both accurate with it. I won't say it's something like Les Bear Custom accurate, but I think it's the best choice for someone on a budget and want's a good, basic 1911.

Last edited:
We are probably going to pick up a few Rock Island Armory 1911s for everyday bangin' around and for Blind to start practice smithing on.

We got to meet the team at RIA during SHOT, and they're some good peeps who make a pretty solid product for the price. Actually, the surprising thing is that compared to Colt, RIA's products (though less finished) have a better trigger feel (according to Blind ... who's too busy to respond to this thread at the moment).

We are probably going to pick up a few Rock Island Armory 1911s for everyday bangin' around and for Blind to start practice smithing on.

We got to meet the team at RIA during SHOT, and they're some good peeps who make a pretty solid product for the price. Actually, the surprising thing is that compared to Colt, RIA's products (though less finished) have a better trigger feel (according to Blind ... who's too busy to respond to this thread at the moment).

That's because RIA is CNC-machining all their stuff and Colt... isn't.

My thing with RIA is that they sometimes need chamfering and rounding on edges because of their CNC work - they didn't bother to round off some edges that they should have for optimum user interaction, but they have to save money somewhere. It doesn't affect the function of the firearms and it's not like you can't deal with any issues like that yourself if they bother you.

Again - good pistol for the money, I like the value proposition of the slightly more expensive Springfield basic models, you can do a lot worse at the price point.

- - - Updated - - -

Private sale requires no paperwork. Not even a license.

Correct. But he said "store." Which implies a dealer and that means *not* a private sale.

Ah, totally makes sense. Speaking of Springfield, did we mention that they have *amazing* customer service. Blind had some accuracy issues with his micro compact 1911 (which he said was totally the gun's issue... not him :p). So we brought it up to one of the Springfield reps, who immediately said, "Send it in. We'll take care of it."

Yeah, well, Springfield turned the gun around in less than a week - the gun spent more time in transit than it did with them. It came back with new rear sights etc. and cost nada. :cool:

EDIT: I forgot to add that this was the 2nd time we had sent in the micro compact. The first time was for a feed ramp error, and they, of course, fixed that right away.

Last edited:
In NC I can usually be in and out within 10-20 minutes (depends on my mind/hand filling out the form fast enough and not making any mistakes). Took about 20 mins to get my new shotgun on Friday (after I messed up one form and had to start over).

Should go for any state that uses the CCP as the background check, and assuming the buyer has one.

In NC I can usually be in and out within 10-20 minutes (depends on my mind/hand filling out the form fast enough and not making any mistakes). Took about 20 mins to get my new shotgun on Friday (after I messed up one form and had to start over).

Should go for any state that uses the CCP as the background check, and assuming the buyer has one.

Yeah, but the waiting period for the permit counts towards the purchase as well - think about it. If you are starting from "I have no guns and nothing but money" you aren't legally going to be in and out in 10 minutes.

If you apply for a permit that includes the thorough background check needed to be able to bypass the NICS requirement, that can be as much as six months wait.

Current wait time for a background check is Maryland is 30+ days..

Yeah starting from the begginning is a bit long.

For long guns you usually can be in and out most stores here in less than 2 hours as long as there is no issues with the NICS check.

Not sure if its been increased, but a pistol purchase permit in NC was 1-5 day wait depending on the county.

The CCP takes 45-90 days after applying (that's after taking the class, which is usually a little wait now due to demand).

There must be a record somewhere of how many guns are registered to you? If one day you just decided to become a collector, wouldn't they class that as stockpiling, raid your house and call you a terrorist?

A'la Heckler and Koch's conference room.
http://img72.imageshack.**/img72/2405/grayroompanorama.jpg

Unless they are Class 3 registered (true assault weapons/machine guns), then they really don't know anything except that you had a background check ran on you to buy a gun.

The local gun shop that you bought the gun from would have the record of it, believe they have to keep it for a certain time (5 years maybe?).

Even if they tracked it down through the gun shop any private sales could throw them off (depends on the state laws of private sales and if the private person keeps good records).

There must be a record somewhere of how many guns are registered to you? If one day you just decided to become a collector, wouldn't they class that as stockpiling, raid your house and call you a terrorist?

A'la Heckler and Koch's conference room.
http://img72.imageshack.**/img72/2405/grayroompanorama.jpg
Best. Conference room. Ever!

To add and expand on what biggie said: The only records at the Federal level are the background check record (which notes that you've had a background check for a weapon and whether it was a pistol or long arm but no specifics) and the 4473 form containing the make, model and serial numbers of the weapons you purchased. The 4473 is kept by the dealer for a minimum of 10 years but is not filed with the government unless the government comes and audits them (which is not uncommon) or the dealer ceases operations (and therefore the forms get sent to the government).

States may vary. Most states do not require registration of arms at all (for why many think registration is a bad idea, look upthread) so there's no record of that. Stockpiling is not a crime in most states - no more than collecting cars is.

CA does have registration and waiting periods and has been known to raid people who 'have too many guns' on the concept that 'if they have that many weapons they have to have some that are illegal or that they must be doing something wrong.' They also get sued regularly (and lose) when those raids turn up nothing illegal or illicit.

Last edited:
Best. Conference room. Ever!

I know, you would always win the argument. :mrgreen:

Stockpiling is not a crime in most states - no more than collecting cars is.

Great news. :may:

CA does have registration and waiting periods and has been known to raid people who 'have too many guns' on the concept that 'if they have that many weapons they have to have some that are illegal or that they must be doing something wrong.' They also get sued regularly (and lose) when those raids turn up nothing illegal or illicit.

Avoid California, check.
Because guns are so absent here, I just find it fascinating how you guys buy them as if you're popping to the shops to buy coffee. It would be amazing to live in America, purely to try and top this gun room.

ch3.jpg

Private%20collection%202.jpg

Private%20collection%204.jpg

Private%20collection%205.jpg

MA officially claims to not require you to register a newly purchased firearm. However, the seller must fill out a Firearms Registration and Transfer form :lol:

Separate thought: does anyone know how the federal law came about that bans private out-of-state purchases of handguns, yet rifles are ok?

I think it might be part of the 1968 GCA, but don't hold me to that.

MA officially claims to not require you to register a newly purchased firearm. However, the seller must fill out a Firearms Registration and Transfer form :lol:

Separate thought: does anyone know how the federal law came about that bans private out-of-state purchases of handguns, yet rifles are ok?

Rifles must also be transferred through FFLs unless your state and the state the seller resides in are contiguous and you do the deal in person.

It is part of GCA68, which was a reaction to the Kennedy Assassination in the usual way - stacking on restrictions on things that weren't actually used in the event. President LBJ had this to say at the time:

Secretary Fowler, Attorney General Clark, Chairman Celler, distinguished Members of the Senate and the House, distinguished guests:

Today we begin to disarm the criminal and the careless and the insane. All of our people who are deeply concerned in this country about law and order should hail this day.

In our democracy, crime control is a community problem. And we would not have it any other way. For the other way would be the police state and all of its tragic consequences.

The Federal Government can supplement-but can never supplant--local efforts to combat crime in the United States. Only in the last 5 years has the Federal Government fully grasped that opportunity.

The Government can probe the reasons for crime and the methods of its control. The Government has done this through the Presidential Crime Commission that was created in 1965.

The Government can strike against organized crime, whose poison spills across State lines, and the Government has done this. 1960 saw only 19 racketeers indicted in the United States courts. Last year, 1,160 were indicted--the highest ever. We have strengthened that fight through the Anti-Racketeering Act that the Congress passed.

The Government can now help to stimulate new local crime-fighting programs. We have done this through the Law Enforcement Assistance Act that Congress passed. The Government can now help better train and better equip and better pay the policeman on the local beat. It can help to modernize courts and correctional systems. The Government has done all of this through the Safe Streets Act, which we signed last June.

The Government can help communities tackle the serious problem of teenage crime. And the Government has done this with new legislation passed at this session of Congress to stop juvenile delinquency and the careers in crime that juvenile delinquency breeds.

The Government can help protect its citizens against the random and the reckless violence of crime at gun point. We have come here to the Cabinet Room today to sign the most comprehensive gun control law ever signed in this Nation's history.

Some of you may be interested in knowing-really-what this bill does: --It stops murder by mail order. It bars the interstate sale of all guns and the bullets that load them.
--It stops the sale of lethal weapons to those too young to bear their terrible responsibility.
--It puts up a big "off-limits" sign, to stop gunrunners from dumping cheap foreign "$10 specials" on the shores of our country.

Congress adopted most of our recommendations. But this bill--as big as this bill is--still falls short, because we just could not get the Congress to carry out the requests we made of them. I asked for the national registration of all guns and the licensing of those who carry those guns. For the fact of life is that there are over 160 million guns in this country--more firearms than families. If guns are to be kept out of the hands of the criminal, out of the hands of the insane, and out of the hands of the irresponsible, then we just must have licensing. If the criminal with a gun is to be tracked down quickly, then we must have registration in this country.

The voices that blocked these safeguards were not the voices of an aroused nation. They were the voices of a powerful lobby, a gun lobby, that has prevailed for the moment in an election year.

But the key to effective crime control remains, in my judgment, effective gun control. And those of us who are really concerned about crime just must--somehow, someday--make our voices felt. We must continue to work for the day when Americans can get the full protection that every American citizen is entitled to and deserves-the kind of protection that most civilized nations have long ago adopted. We have been through a great deal of anguish these last few months and these last few years-too much anguish to forget so quickly.

So now we must complete the task which this long needed legislation begins. We have come a long way. We have made much progress--but not nearly enough.

So, now that we're 45 years on, how did it work out? Oh, wait... It didn't. In fact, it has accomplished exactly none of the things it promised to do. A number of states did what LBJ wanted - total registration and licensing. How has that worked out for them, again? Oh, wait...

Also, Aston - it's not like just buying some coffee, it's more like buying a car or motorcycle from a dealership. As others have said, the normal time is a couple hours, give or take.

Last edited:
An examination of the proposed magazine limitations in the US.