The Gun thread

Got some Independence ammo in 5.56. It's distributed through Federal. It's from Israel.

jewbull_zps7c3b2555.jpg

Have shot some Independence 556, seemed good.

Talked to others that their 9mm was good as well.

[video=youtube;nkXG1nsh-FA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nkXG1nsh-FA[/video]

Yeah the real question is how long till the technology allows all parts to be printed except perhaps the barrel which has to be well made and rifled...

It's pretty well known but not as easy as it sounds. Not all parts can be printed. And for the ones that can, you still need a CNC machine.
I got a machinist friend with a few CNC machines, pretty sure we could build pretty much any gun we wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the real question is how long till the technology allows all parts to be printed except perhaps the barrel which has to be well made and rifled...
The parts that actually fire pretty much need to be metal if you want them to last more than a few shots, until we can print metal it's a no go, on the other hand once we can then the barels could be printed too.

That's called a technological advance. In fact, as far as I know, it is perfectly legal to make your own gun as long as it never changes owners.

until we can print metal it's a no go, on the other hand once we can then the barels could be printed too.

You can already print metal objects with processes like laser sintering. The machines for it are just very expensive. Just like the "normal" industrial-grade 3D printers.

That's called a technological advance. In fact, as far as I know, it is perfectly legal to make your own gun as long as it never changes owners.

You are half right, you can make your own gun but it has to conform to all the local laws, like in NY I can make my own rifle or handgun but it can't be an "assault weapon" and it can't be a full auto. Also I live near a school so I would have to go get a special waver for owning a gun near a school.

EDIT: On technological advance, I think people forget that what we call modern guns are actually 100+ year old tech. There hasn't really been a whole lot of changes/advances in at least 70 years or so.
- - - Updated - - -

You can already print metal objects with processes like laser sintering. The machines for it are just very expensive. Just like the "normal" industrial-grade 3D printers.

Do they make stuff that can handle being fired from though? And that basically means that eventually they will be cheap enough for anyone to buy :)

Last edited:
Any monkey can make a lower receiver with hand tools, I don't get the fuss about 3d printing in that regard. Nor do I understand why it is considered to be "the actual firearm" in the states.

Ease of it mostly, you don't need to have anything but money for a 3d printer and ability to click "print".

Last edited:
Have shot some Independence 556, seemed good.

Talked to others that their 9mm was good as well.
I have used their .380, .38 Special and .45 ACP, it all shot very well.

A quick range report.

Rifle: Home built CMMG AR15
Sights: Rear MBUS and standard front post. No optics.
Ammo: Independence 5.56 55 grain FMJ

Being the first time shooting this rifle, and I, not having shot an AR in a few years, started out at 25 yards. Once I got the sights sorted, I was getting groups like this regularly.

IMG_20130323_083858_676_zpsc198bce3.jpg

I moved into the 50 yard lane.

Here are the first 3 shots I fired, standing.

IMG_20130323_090118_606_zps5aecc41d.jpg

Best group at 50 yards, standing.

IMG_20130323_085032_156_zps3634a7f0.jpg

At this point, I wanted to move on the the 100 yard lane, but some folks had come and taken up that lane. I maintained the same groups at 50 yards a few more times.

I had one round remaining. I decided I didn't like the '8' in this target. It's very lucky to be alive.

IMG_20130323_090835_390_zps72157ba9.jpg

Lucky fucker.

Overall, I'm really happy with my build so far. Any crap shots were purely my own fault and there is a lot more accuracy in the rifle. It cycled well, good ejection, and no odd markings of the spent casings.

My grandfather's custom 1911 threw its sight rail off at the range today. Kiki was shooting it and all the screws holding it to the slide sheared off and the rail hit her right in the forehead, giving her a nasty cut. She was a complete pro about it, carefully clearing the weapon and making it safe. I am going to send it back to Clark in Louisiana, the original shop that did the custom work back in the day; hopefully the sheared screws can be removed and the slide repaired. I think it was just metal fatigue, I recently had to replace the seer because it had a significant notch worn in it due to so many rounds being shot through it over the years.

This blows.

The last piece for my Saiga build arrived, the folding stock hinge.

IMG_3823.JPG

It's now a couple inches shorter than a pistol-grip-only Mossberg 500 with the 18.5" barrel (with the stock folded) but is still legal. It has a 19" barrel and is 34" overall, where the legal minimums are 18" barrel and 32" overall.

- - - Updated - - -

My grandfather's custom 1911 threw its sight rail off at the range today. Kiki was shooting it and all the screws holding it to the slide sheared off and the rail hit her right in the forehead, giving her a nasty cut. She was a complete pro about it, carefully clearing the weapon and making it safe. I am going to send it back to Clark in Louisiana, the original shop that did the custom work back in the day; hopefully the sheared screws can be removed and the slide repaired.

Good that she wasn't seriously injured, but do have then check out the rest of the weapon's fasteners and perhaps replace them before putting it back in service. May I suggest that Kiki wear a hat next time? This keeps brass from getting trapped between glasses and face, but also helps mitigate forehead damage if something like this occurs again.

I think it was just metal fatigue, I recently had to replace the seer because it had a significant notch worn in it due to so many rounds being shot through it over the years.

This blows.
Seer:
Carnac%20the%20magnificent-fights%20nyc%20parking%20tickets.jpg

Sear:
Chip%20McCormick%20CM80012%20Easy%20Fit%201911%20Sear.jpg

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
The failure:

hyja2e7u.jpg

I don't think a hat would have helped in this case, as the sight rail came straight back during recoil. The slide stopped, the rail didn't. And I'm blaming autocorrect and/or fat fingers on a small touch screen for that last one, although I like the photo you found for "seer".

Last edited:
Good call on the hat still, Spectre. :) Hell, at this point, I'm going to go to the fucking range channeling Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's (with big oversized glasses and hat) and Funny Face (via a turtleneck). I've already learnt my lesson with casings flying down my shirt and getting lodged in my bra... so I guess I'll be aware of flying parts too. :lol:

Poor guys at the range were slightly alarmed at first when I walked in with blood on my forehead.

I feel so nerdy having a Harry Potter-esque scab right now though. :cool:

Last edited: