The Gun thread

Yummy! I'd really like to get a 511, but I don't have anything to mount it on (except airsoft guns :lol: ). They're worth every penny I can tell you that. What will it be mounted on?

AR-15 for now. I went back & forth with the EOTech/Aimpoint decision and finally decided the EOTech was more in line with what I want at the moment.

So I'm looking at handguns (can't buy yet, not 21) and have come to the conclusion that a Sig Sauer is definitely what I want. I looked at Springfields, Glocks, and some others, but none of them catch my eye like the Sigs. The only problem with that is that there are soooo many Sigs. I have no idea what distinguishes them, and their website doesn't really help either. I just think that when it comes to building guns, you can't beat the Swiss...my k31 backs that up well. So anyone want to break their inventory down?

Anyone has experience with the Mossberg Plinkster?
I just found out they are made here in Brazil and are cheap compared to imported .22 rifles.
38101.jpg

^Just asked my bf, he says it hasn't got a good reputation (i.e. crap), so depending on what you plan on doing with it, I'd be cautious.

^Just asked my bf, he says it hasn't got a good reputation (i.e. crap), so depending on what you plan on doing with it, I'd be cautious.

I was planning on doing what the name implies, plinking. :mrgreen:
Of course I would prefer a CZ or something better, but that Mossberg costs R$800 and an entry-level CZ costs R$5,000 :|
Even as a crap, cheap gun, should I avoid it?

Nah, it shouldn't be that bad, atleast when it's an .22, he says it's more their larger rifles that are that bad.
And at that price, for that purpose, what's too loose :mrgreen:

Nah, it shouldn't be that bad, atleast when it's an .22, he says it's more their larger rifles that are that bad.
And at that price, for that purpose, what's too loose :mrgreen:

:D

Thanks for the input!

Now, let?s get rid of the bureaucracy needed to own a gun. :mrgreen:

It's not a terrible gun. It's not particularly accurate - pretty much Mossberg named it properly - it is called a Plinkster because you are supposed to use it to go plink at cans and bottles and things. Fairly reliable, though. And as you noted, inexpensive.

In other news, I have gotten all the parts I need to convert my FAL. I have to get a machine shop to drill and tap my free float forearm for the Picatinny rails, but then I can put it together and take it to the range to sight in the scope.

Last edited:
Can you write here if you just started shooting but don't own your own rifle? Laws here in Sweden state that you have to be a member of a shooting club for 6 months before you are allowed to own your own rifle, so right now i'm using this:

Swedish_Mauser_65_right.jpg

A Swedish Mauser in the caliber 6,5*55. A old, heavy rifle but it places the round where you aim. :)

Can you write here if you just started shooting but don't own your own rifle? Laws here in Sweden state that you have to be a member of a shooting club for 6 months before you are allowed to own your own rifle, so right now i'm using this:

A Swedish Mauser in the caliber 6,5*55. A old, heavy rifle but it places the round where you aim. :)

Old guns are good. :)

I would suggest a K31 for when you can buy your own...but I am biased. Ammo is finally coming down, so I'm going to buy a few hundred rounds I think soon.

Tell me about it. I need to be member of a gun club, pass a psychological evaluation, pay the shooting federation, go through a shooting course and pay a few more taxes before I can buy a gun. A few months and 700 bucks later I can starting thinking about owning that rifle I asked before. <_<

Tell me about it. I need to be member of a gun club, pass a psychological evaluation, pay the shooting federation, go through a shooting course and pay a few more taxes before I can buy a gun. A few months and 700 bucks later I can starting thinking about owning that rifle I asked before. <_<

I am afraid we will be at that point soon too...:cry:

At the moment, what is the paperwork required for a Texan?

At the moment, what is the paperwork required for a Texan?

Right now, we have no special requirements in Texas other than the ones imposed by the Federal government, if you purchase a weapon from a dealer.

1. Go to a dealer.
2. Present government-accepted or issued identification.
3. Fill out a two page form declaring that you are not a felon, habitual drug user or alcoholic, of sound mind and not purchasing it for someone else.
4. Have the dealer call the form into the government database center which is supposed to perform an instant background check (and verify your answers on the form) and wait for them to approve you. This may take as much as 72 hours.
5. Pick up the weapon. If you go back later to buy another weapon, you must start the process all over.

Right now, we have no special requirements in Texas other than the ones imposed by the Federal government, if you purchase a weapon from a dealer.

1. Go to a dealer.
2. Present government-accepted or issued identification.
3. Fill out a two page form declaring that you are not a felon, habitual drug user or alcoholic, of sound mind and not purchasing it for someone else.
4. Have the dealer call the form into the government database center which is supposed to perform an instant background check (and verify your answers on the form) and wait for them to approve you. This may take as much as 72 hours.
5. Pick up the weapon. If you go back later to buy another weapon, you must start the process all over.

Wow. That?s much easier than I expected. I wrote "for a Texan" because the media led me to believe it was much easier for you.:p

There you go, believing the media again. :p

Texas has no additional restrictions beyond the Federal ones that apply to all fifty US states. Most other states in the US similarly do not add regulation. Some states have additional requirements or restrictions but they are the exception rather than the rule so far. Strangely, guess where the most gun crime is, in general?

Ironically, it is still easier to get an illegal gun in any city in the US, especially a port city, than it is to get a legal one. Nice, huh?

That said, guess what happens to you if you lie on that form (known as a Form 4473), which clearly states that doing so is a felony?

I thought the question "Are you currently a fugitive from the law?" was pretty good myself. For the record, my background check took all of 2 minutes when I bought my K31.

Yup, and then you sometimes get 3 day delays for no apparent reason. Go figure.

For those that are wondering, this is what's on our Form 4473 - the paper we have to fill out to get a firearm from a dealer.

BATF_Form_4473a.png

BATF_Form_4473b.png

BATF_Form_4473c.png

BATF_Form_4473d.png

And even if you lie on the form and it gets caught by the background check, the government won't do anything - despite the fact that it is a Federal felony. There have still been zero prosecutions (despite tens of thousands off offenses) for lying on your 4473. All of which tells me that it really isn't about keeping criminals from getting guns and all about gun controls on the law abiding.

any gun I've purchased or seen purchased took 5 minutes at most.
guess i just got lucky..>.>