The Gun thread

ScarFace88;n3546425 said:
Honestly, you're better off buying a binary trigger than a bump stock, IMHO.

I have no idea what a binary trigger is. Time to research! :D

Do you really think they are going to confiscate these things or are they just going to stopped being sold?

*edit*
Just read up on those binary triggers. Those look like fun! So what's everyone's preference? Apparently some will "outrun the gun"?

Last edited:
I have one made by Digital Trigger. It will not outrun the gun, it also gives you a 1# trigger pull in digital mode and selectable pull-release mode. You also gain the ability to safety the firearm while it is charged.

Position 1 - Safe
Position 2 - Mechanical semi-automatic (just like a regular trigger)
Position 3 - 1# pull

If you get the higher end you can then use a small button on the grip to select "PR" or "Pull-Release" This gives you the 1# trigger pull but it also sends a round when you release the trigger. The electronics won't fire if the action isn't fully closed. If you hold the trigger for 6 seconds, it will cancel the second shot. If you release the grip safety or switch to "safe" on the selector, the second shot won't fire.

Buy a reloading press, mag-dumps become stupidly fun, but you can also be very, very accurate with that 1# pull. The rifle will work exactly like a typical AR if the battery goes dead (a single 9v in the grip).

Blind_Io;n3546478 said:
I have one made by Digital Trigger. It will not outrun the gun, it also gives you a 1# trigger pull in digital mode and selectable pull-release mode. You also gain the ability to safety the firearm while it is charged.

Position 1 - Safe
Position 2 - Mechanical semi-automatic (just like a regular trigger)
Position 3 - 1# pull

If you get the higher end you can then use a small button on the grip to select "PR" or "Pull-Release" This gives you the 1# trigger pull but it also sends a round when you release the trigger. The electronics won't fire if the action isn't fully closed. If you hold the trigger for 6 seconds, it will cancel the second shot. If you release the grip safety or switch to "safe" on the selector, the second shot won't fire.

Buy a reloading press, mag-dumps become stupidly fun, but you can also be very, very accurate with that 1# pull. The rifle will work exactly like a typical AR if the battery goes dead (a single 9v in the grip).

That sounds like brilliance. I just hope those are still a thing when I get in to the AR game.

Right now mil surps are taking my monies. :D

JCE;n3546481 said:
That sounds like brilliance. I just hope those are still a thing when I get in to the AR game.

Right now mil surps are taking my monies. :D

Consider spending some of those monies on an assembled lower now, from which you can slap the upper of your choice on at any time in the future. The lower is the regulated part that comprises 'the gun' legally. This complete lower was just on sale at PSA for $150: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...agpul-moe-edition-black-no-magazine-7065.html

Assembly of a complete upper to an assembled lower to make a complete rifle: Put upper on lower. Align holes. Push captive push pins through holes. Rifle is assembled.

LeVeL;n3546494 said:
Assembling the lower itself is pretty easy too and that way you can get a better trigger.

That's considerably more involved than field stripping, which you have to do to an AR anyway, and of which mating the complete upper and complete lower together is part of. For starters you need a buffer tube wrench to assemble a stripped lower. Also:

JCE;n3546375 said:
Dint want to build one yet. I will want to leave the AR all factory until I reach a level of comfort with one as-is.

I've watched AR assembly videos on YouTube but I'm not at a confidence level to build one or even have the equipment for it yet. Hell I don't even have a vice or workbench in the garage yet...yet!

I do like the idea of buying a lower though. :D Other than PSA what else is out there that I could look in to for a lower on the lower end of the price spectrum?

Spectre;n3546503 said:
That's considerably more involved than field stripping, which you have to do to an AR anyway, and of which mating the complete upper and complete lower together is part of. For starters you need a buffer tube wrench to assemble a stripped lower.
Still not a difficult process. It's a far cry from building the entire rifle. It's like changing the brake calipers is more involved than pumping tires but still nowhere near the realm of rebuilding an engine.

I guess the alternative is buying a complete lower and then changing the trigger afterwards.

They're really not difficult to build. You need a few tools to do it properly, wrench for the castle nut on the buffer tube, barrel nut wrench if you're building the upper too (can get both on an armorer's wrench), a torque wrench, and some punches. A vise is helpful for torquing the buffer tube. A vise is necessary if you're assembling an upper; lot higher torque for the barrel nut and you need to clamp the barrel to install a muzzle device.

The way prices are right now, though, it's sometimes cheaper to just buy a complete gun and swap out the stuff you don't like.

Update on my last acquisitions.

Picked up my surplus Star BM and surplus Bulgarian Makarov from the gun smith today and after a clean bill of health and all cleaned up of any remaining cosmoline/storage gunk (from the Star) I test fired a few mags through each and have starkly different opinions regarding them. Had them about a month since I ordered them before I could get them in to the shop for a full safety diagnosis. The Makarov looked as if it was almost never fired--the barrel looked brand new. The recoil spring was very stiff (no jokes please!) and does need to be broke in. It must of spent its life in a holster (has holster wear) but rarely even used. It also had zero cosmoline/etc and was very clean and minty fresh. The Star BM was filthy and gunky but in overall fantastic condition and all springs were crisp and broken in. It has almost no holster wear and no corrosion but had been fired. It was pretty dirty so I suppose it wasn't cleaned the last time it was used and sat in storage in Spain all those years filled with rust preventative gunk. All parts in the Star were still in almost like new condition so that's a relief.

Once at the range I naturally gravitated to the Star BM first being a huge 1911 fan myself and boy oh boy is this thing the bee's knees. Shit was this thing badass--no lie I love it and want another one already. Trigger was super smooth and the action was also butter smooth. I was surprised that the recoil was about that of the 1911 (.45 ACP), but I attribute this to the shorter barrel perhaps (?) and I did shoot them side by side today and they felt about the same. Used some Fiocchi 124g FMJ 9x19 for testing...and only because I left my range ammo at the house. (whoops!) All in all the Star BM exceeded my expectations by a country mile and I came in with very high expectations. The Makarov unfortunately was a bit of a downer, perhaps my expectations here were set too high. The Mak was VERY snappy, I was utterly shocked on how snappy it was. After 2 full mags the web of my hand was a bit sore and since I have a high grip got a little hammer bite. I adjusted my grip accordingly for the hammer bite but was still a bit disappointed with the snappiness. I know you can get a 19lb and 21lb recoil spring to address the recoil but honestly the factory 17lb recoil spring is so stiff no one in my family but me can rack the slide so I seriously doubt I'm going to get one of those springs to reduce the recoil. The ammo I was using, which by the way was almost twice the price of regular 9x19 ammo because I had to buy the range's, was Sellier & Bellot 95g FMJ 9x18. Perhaps I need to try a heavier bullet? Though Buffalo Bore is the only mfg which a heavier bullet but that is loaded +P and would most likely exacerbate the problem.

I really liked everything I've heard, watched, and saw from Makarovs so it was a bit surprising to be a bit disappointed--but the more time I spend with it the better. I had originally thought this would of been a good carry option for my wife, but, as mentioned earlier she cannot even rack the slide so that's a NOPE. Hell, I wouldn't carry the Makarov and I was contemplating it before I fired it. The Star on the other hand, hell yes I would carry it, no hesitation. My confidence level with this is already at 100% after I found the right sight picture on that last mag I ran. Seriously folks, the Star BM is about as brilliant as you can get on a steel frame 9mm semi-auto pistol. Cannot wait to put some more rounds through it.

JCE;n3546753 said:
Seriously folks, the Star BM is about as brilliant as you can get on a steel frame 9mm semi-auto pistol. Cannot wait to put some more rounds through it.

My CZ Shadow 2 would like a word :lol:

ZMzPnyS.jpg

Last edited:
JCE;n3546753 said:
Once at the range I naturally gravitated to the Star BM first being a huge 1911 fan myself and boy oh boy is this thing the bee's knees. Shit was this thing badass--no lie I love it and want another one already. Trigger was super smooth and the action was also butter smooth. I was surprised that the recoil was about that of the 1911 (.45 ACP), but I attribute this to the shorter barrel perhaps (?) and I did shoot them side by side today and they felt about the same. Used some Fiocchi 124g FMJ 9x19 for testing...and only because I left my range ammo at the house. (whoops!) All in all the Star BM exceeded my expectations by a country mile and I came in with very high expectations. The Makarov unfortunately was a bit of a downer, perhaps my expectations here were set too high. The Mak was VERY snappy, I was utterly shocked on how snappy it was. After 2 full mags the web of my hand was a bit sore and since I have a high grip got a little hammer bite. I adjusted my grip accordingly for the hammer bite but was still a bit disappointed with the snappiness. I know you can get a 19lb and 21lb recoil spring to address the recoil but honestly the factory 17lb recoil spring is so stiff no one in my family but me can rack the slide so I seriously doubt I'm going to get one of those springs to reduce the recoil. The ammo I was using, which by the way was almost twice the price of regular 9x19 ammo because I had to buy the range's, was Sellier & Bellot 95g FMJ 9x18. Perhaps I need to try a heavier bullet? Though Buffalo Bore is the only mfg which a heavier bullet but that is loaded +P and would most likely exacerbate the problem.

I really liked everything I've heard, watched, and saw from Makarovs so it was a bit surprising to be a bit disappointed--but the more time I spend with it the better. I had originally thought this would of been a good carry option for my wife, but, as mentioned earlier she cannot even rack the slide so that's a NOPE. Hell, I wouldn't carry the Makarov and I was contemplating it before I fired it. The Star on the other hand, hell yes I would carry it, no hesitation. My confidence level with this is already at 100% after I found the right sight picture on that last mag I ran. Seriously folks, the Star BM is about as brilliant as you can get on a steel frame 9mm semi-auto pistol. Cannot wait to put some more rounds through it.

Thing is, the Makarov is a direct unbuffered blowback action that is approaching the power limits of what can be safely fired from same. The only thing that keeps the slide and breech closed is spring pressure and inertia - the barrel and chamber do not lock. When you pull the trigger, the slide starts backwards immediately and the casing begins extraction before the bullet leaves the barrel. There is no locking system to delay opening or suck up recoil energy. High felt recoil is a known characteristic of direct blowback guns, particularly smaller low mass ones like the Mak that fire (relatively) higher power rounds.

Also, LOL at your Star BM comment - it may look like a 1911, but mechanically it's a not necessarily all that great copy of the Browning High Power. Go shoot a good BHP and you may not think the BM is all that any more.

Last edited:
RdKetchup;n3546785 said:
My CZ Shadow 2 would like a word :lol:

I like CZ's and would love to give that one a go! :)

Spectre;n3546791 said:
Thing is, the Makarov is a direct unbuffered blowback action that is approaching the power limits of what can be safely fired from same. The only thing that keeps the slide and breech closed is spring pressure and inertia - the barrel and chamber do not lock. When you pull the trigger, the slide starts backwards immediately and the casing begins extraction before the bullet leaves the barrel. There is no locking system to delay opening or suck up recoil energy. High felt recoil is a known characteristic of direct blowback guns, particularly smaller low mass ones like the Mak that fire (relatively) higher power rounds.

That's a great explanation on what's going on. So this will be just for plinking fun around the ranch when we relocate I suppose as I'm not going to use this as the "nightstand" or EDC pistol for sure. If it was the zombie apocalypse and all my other ammo was used up and I only had 9x18's left I could use it, but I wouldn't prefer it. I'm half tempted to try one of those aftermarket 19lb or 21lb recoil springs just to see how it helps with that recoil. They are under $10 so not that much just to try.

Also, LOL at your Star BM comment - it may look like a 1911, but mechanically it's a not necessarily all that great copy of the Browning High Power. Go shoot a good BHP and you may not think the BM is all that any more.

I knew it only resembled a 1911 but shares nothing inside, but you have to at least admit the grip is a pretty spot on copy for an 1911 & 1911A1 grip--which I like. Oh, and FYI I have the Browning High Power on my list of wanted semi-autos I want to acquire at some point. :D The Star has exceeded my expectations and came in at a very reasonable price--that will go up once the surplus dries up. So I'm quite satisfied.

I joined the CZ club too, albeit in a different way:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1440","width":"1920","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Eb5vifl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
CZ 455 Varmint in .22 WMR. I usually don't spend more than $40-50 on glass for rimfire stuff but I splurged a bit on this one and went with a Nikon 4-12x40 rimfire scope.

The finish on it is impeccable. Now, if I can just get a weekend with decent weather I'll get it sighted in and see if it shoots as good as it looks.

I do have plans to pick up a .22LR barrel and probably the .17 HMR barrel too.

73GMCSprint;n3546807 said:
I joined the CZ club too, albeit in a different way:

CZ 455 Varmint in .22 WMR. I usually don't spend more than $40-50 on glass for rimfire stuff but I splurged a bit on this one and went with a Nikon 4-12x40 rimfire scope.

The finish on it is impeccable. Now, if I can just get a weekend with decent weather I'll get it sighted in and see if it shoots as good as it looks.

I do have plans to pick up a .22LR barrel and probably the .17 HMR barrel too.

The .22 WMR is a great little cartridge, I have a Kel-Tec PMR-30 semi-auto pistol that fires that cartridge. You should definitely get the .17 HMR barrel!

JCE;n3546806 said:
That's a great explanation on what's going on. So this will be just for plinking fun around the ranch when we relocate I suppose as I'm not going to use this as the "nightstand" or EDC pistol for sure. If it was the zombie apocalypse and all my other ammo was used up and I only had 9x18's left I could use it, but I wouldn't prefer it. I'm half tempted to try one of those aftermarket 19lb or 21lb recoil springs just to see how it helps with that recoil. They are under $10 so not that much just to try.

I am kind of wondering why you didn't just go rent a Makarov and test it first - last I'd checked, they're available at lots of the local ranges.

Spectre;n3546829 said:
I am kind of wondering why you didn't just go rent a Makarov and test it first - last I'd checked, they're available at lots of the local ranges.

Partly based on assumption, yea my fault. I do still like having one in the collection just because of its history and origin so not all's lost--plus it was only $250 so it didn't break the bank. And because I (clearly) love odd-ball stuff and am a glutton for punishment. :lol: I mean, I'm going to get a Zastava M57 (or M70) and a Tokarev after all... So yea, because, reasons.

Ok I'm going to sell something of value to get an AR lower I'd like to have a $125-150 budget.

I just don't want to miss the boat, I have a pessimistic outlook right now for being able to get one unneuteted or at all with how many American sheeple are buying what these politicians and ignorant anti-gun people are selling. Too many 2A supporters are caving in and I just don't think the evil black rifle will survive in its current state...or at all. Better be safe than sorry and I'm done procrastinating. :)

*edit*
Forget building an AK...

*edit 2*
I also want a cartridge with more energy than a .223/5.56. Maybe like 300 blackout? Not really sure yet...

LeVeL;n3546839 said:
Most milsurps you own because of the cool factor, not because they're any good.

There is some truth to that. ;) Not gonna lie.

Last edited:
Is that for a stripped lower or complete? If stripped I wouldn't pay more than $100 + FFL fees, or less if you don't care what brand it is. Stripped Anderson lowers go on sale for $30 pretty regularly. I wouldn't use their small parts on anything I own but as long as the lower is in spec it doesn't really matter who makes it. If you're talking complete I'd add $75-100 to your budget and buy something decent, maybe something from PSA or Aero Precision.