The Gun thread

Damn some nice guns in this thread I thought'd it'd be a lot of pistols but there are some pretty mean looking rifles :p

I'm surprised nobody has put up a picture of a nuclear bomb yet.

We're just waiting for the Iranian contingent to sign on... :p

In the US, we can't own one anyway. :p

CETMEs are ok, but they are sometimes problematic. Some people feel the balance is off and some of the parts are a little odd. Mags are cheap, though there is no good way to install a scope. I would suggest trying one at the upcoming gun show (Jan 9-10) before purchasing one. They're not that popular.

We're just waiting for the Iranian contingent to sign on... :p

In the US, we can't own one anyway. :p

CETMEs are ok, but they are sometimes problematic. Some people feel the balance is off and some of the parts are a little odd. Mags are cheap, though there is no good way to install a scope. I would suggest trying one at the upcoming gun show (Jan 9-10) before purchasing one. They're not that popular.

Ah ok. I thought they were very similar to G3s.

So.

Winchester 1894 (have)
Schmit Rubin K31 (have)
Bulgarian AK74 (have)
Sig 226 or Beretta M9. Found "VG" 226's in-stock for $400 on the web...sounds like a good deal to me (probably next)
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 (folding stock, saddle shell holder)

These are the USE guns.

Perhaps later I will get a Thompson, PS90, or FAL. I still think the PS90/P90 is the coolest looking gun ever, so I mostly want one just to have one, not to shoot it per-say.

I just want to chime in quickly from a country were guns are rare (I think...unless there is something I am completely missing).

All I bloody want it a Thompson, AK, P90, AUG, L85, M4 airsoft gun, a decent one that actually works...but NO I can't order them from the super cheap place in Texas as they aren't see thru and they are actually useful unlike the crap Wal-mart sells.

I am jealous I would love to fire the stuff you guys have just a few times.

I just want to chime in quickly from a country were guns are rare (I think...unless there is something I am completely missing).

All I bloody want it a Thompson, AK, P90, AUG, L85, M4 airsoft gun, a decent one that actually works...but NO I can't order them from the super cheap place in Texas as they aren't see thru and they are actually useful unlike the crap Wal-mart sells.

Guns are rare in canada? :blink:

I would have thought the wilderness would necessitate lots of guns.

Actually, nobody wants the L85, as not even H&K could get the damn things to work properly. :D It's so bad that every time the Brits deploy to the same place the US is deployed, the ones out in front (and away from the rear echelon inspectors with sticks up their butts) come over to our troops and beg for any spare M4s/M16s we might have. :p

It's also so bad that despite the fact that the L85 (in semi-auto form) was made available for civilian sale in the US, nobody bought them. Literally nobody, there were no sales and only the 10-15 review/dealer samples stayed in country. In a country that will buy all sorts of weird firearms (witness starfox's Swiss K31), nobody wanted one of the things. Heck, they gave away some to various countries in small quantities as military aid - and those countries universally said "no thanks, we don't want any more, you can keep them" - the only export sales have been to Jamaica. IIRC, Venezuela bought a few as a test and decided that that much was quite enough.

As for shooting what we've got down here - well, just PM in advance before flying in. It's not illegal for a legal alien to shoot firearms here, and I'm sure that if you pay for the ammo, most of us would be happy to let you shoot some of our collections. :D

In the meantime, I suggest working to fire the politicians who think that airsoft guns (well, any guns, really) are a bad idea.

Last edited:
The fun part is (apparently) when your average Western European from one of the total-ban or near-total-ban countries sees this thread. They just freak out, and apparently the completely calm tone in which we all discuss the merits of this pistol or that rifle, etc., as if they were something 'normal' like a car or television just completely blows their mind. :D
What blows my mind is not the discussion about the guns as such (I'm interested in the technical side of warfare too, though I'd never serve in the military), but more that you guys (at least the ones participating here) thinking it to be completely natural to always carry a gun. To the point of settling traffic disagreements with it.
I've always associated people carrying guns with third-world countries (AK-47s over the shoulder) - and since I've been on here, with Texas too (concealed pistols).
I can say I prefer not having guns and not having the slightest feel of needing one over having guns and the (felt or real) need for them.

Well, at least in turn we can always laugh when we see helicopter footage from a "spectacular" car chase from some US freeway with speeds as "high" as 100 mph... with all cars involved having 300 HP or more. On a stretch of road with no corners for the next 20 miles. :p ;)

What blows my mind is not the discussion about the guns as such (I'm interested in the technical side of warfare too, though I'd never serve in the military), but more that you guys (at least the ones participating here) thinking it to be completely natural to always carry a gun. To the point of settling traffic disagreements with it.
I've always associated people carrying guns with third-world countries (AK-47s over the shoulder) - and since I've been on here, with Texas too (concealed pistols).
I can say I prefer not having guns and not having the slightest feel of needing one over having guns and the (felt or real) need for them.

Well, at least in turn we can always laugh when we see helicopter footage from a "spectacular" car chase from some US freeway with speeds as "high" as 100 mph... with all cars involved having 300 HP or more. On a stretch of road with no corners for the next 20 miles. :p ;)

Actually, 99.9999999999999%+ percent of hostile traffic disputes in Texas are resolved with lawyers which are much more dangerous than firearms as well as being far more widely available (lawyers are free, guns cost money.) Physical altercations are pretty rare because the chances are pretty good that if you try to pull the other guy out of his car for no reason, he's just going to pull out a pistol and ventilate you repeatedly. So, most traffic accidents are either settled equitably between the parties or they're solved in court with lawyers.

It's in California and other states that forbid or severely restrict the carry of handguns here that road incidents turn into illegal firearms usage. It's exceedingly rare for that to happen here - it happens a lot in CA, because chances are good that the other party (unless an obvious gang member) does not have a gun. I keep up with the Los Angeles news via the internet, and it's amazing; at least once a week out there they have a road rage incident that involves a firearm. We're unfortunate in Texas if we have one in six months. Having been witness to several accidents as well as being involved in a few, both in California and here, it strikes me that Texas car accidents are singularly civil and polite events. I've seen people here angry at each other for being stupid while driving, but it never came anywhere near the point of physical violence; on the other hand, in CA, I saw two drivers start beating upon each other. With tire irons.

This thread isn't about gun control, any more than the drug threads are about drug control - we have other threads for that. This thread is really for discussion of legally held firearms (much like there's an electronics discussion thread, a drug discussion thread, a photography discussion thread, etc.) and I apologize for going off on this tangent; however, before I head back on topic, I would commend the book More Guns, Less Crime by University Of Chicago and Yale University economist John Lott. He actually started off as a pro-gun-control researcher who sought to scientifically prove that easier access to guns in the US correlates to higher crime rates. Turns out it doesn't, and he was forced to change his viewpoint on the matter. It is a viewpoint shared by most Texans, so it might be worth reading for those that are curious on the matter.

Also, it's not too different an attitude from what your neighbors, the Swiss, have. Hell, they walk around with fully-automatic-capable assault rifles in public during their regular shooting festivals, which is generally forbidden in the US. If memory serves, the Swiss can also buy full-house field artillery, not so?

Guns are rare in canada? :blink:

I would have thought the wilderness would necessitate lots of guns.

I'm not clear on the Canadian gun laws, but I think they're only allowed 'hunting rifles' and 'sporting shotguns'. Anything that looks like a combat arm (big, black, 'evil looking') is verboten.

On the other hand, they do get Chinese firearms still... wait, that's not necessarily a compensation...

You might want to look at one of the railed versions of your desired pistols - the M9 has been updated to the M9A1 and now incorporates a rail.

Last edited:
The fun part is (apparently) when your average Western European from one of the total-ban or near-total-ban countries sees this thread. They just freak out, and apparently the completely calm tone in which we all discuss the merits of this pistol or that rifle, etc., as if they were something 'normal' like a car or television just completely blows their mind. :D

<_<

To give you an idea of how it is here if you want a gun.

Membership of a government approved gun association for minimum 2 years.
Get approved by the chairman of said association to buy the gun desired.
Get approved by the national association.
Get approved by the police.

Special rules for rifles though, if you are a registered hunter you can skip the first point.

For all firearms there are the following rules:
Must be kept in a special safe, with a red safety thingy in the chamber so you can clearly see that it is safe (same goes for transport).
No one but yourself may have access to your guns, so for me and my bf we need 2 safes, one for him and one for me :rolleyes:
Full-auto weapons are banned, weapons that LOOK like full-autos are banned.

You wanna know what the worst part is?
I can?t buy most of those guns. The law forbids.<_<

Heh, similar story here when I look at most of the stuff from H&K etc. :(
Maybe it's for the better though, or I'd have a lot less money avaible now ... :D

Actually, 99.9999999999999%+ percent of hostile traffic disputes in Texas are resolved with lawyers which are much more dangerous than firearms as well as being far more widely available (lawyers are free, guns cost money.)
Erm, lawyers are free? :blink:

Well, I guess it's a cultural thing. Once a critical mass of guns is around (around as in carried and not locked away in a safe), it is perhaps really better if everyone has one. That critical mass is not reached over here.

But enough off-topic.

Well, I guess it's a cultural thing. Once a critical mass of guns is around (around as in carried and not locked away in a safe), it is perhaps really better if everyone has one. That critical mass is not reached over here.

But enough off-topic.

Just watch a western movie. The south has always had the mentality that if you have no gun, you are as good as dead. This obviously goes back to the frontier days where threat of Native or wildlife attack was extremely prevalent. This naturally creates a gun-culture that still thrives today.

I'm moving to Switzerland. :mrgreen:

That said, you guys do make some pretty good pistols and rifles down there. Now all you need to do is introduce some shotguns that aren't miserable failures. :D (I'm still trying to figure out how Brazil can be so good at pistols and rifles yet fail to make a shotgun that works. :p How do you fail at making a shotgun???)

Ever tried a Boito shotgun? Supposedly, they are good...

<_<

To give you an idea of how it is here if you want a gun.

Membership of a government approved gun association for minimum 2 years.
Get approved by the chairman of said association to buy the gun desired.
Get approved by the national association.
Get approved by the police.

Special rules for rifles though, if you are a registered hunter you can skip the first point.

For all firearms there are the following rules:
Must be kept in a special safe, with a red safety thingy in the chamber so you can clearly see that it is safe (same goes for transport).
No one but yourself may have access to your guns, so for me and my bf we need 2 safes, one for him and one for me :rolleyes:
Full-auto weapons are banned, weapons that LOOK like full-autos are banned.

If I wanted to buy a gun RIGHT NOW:
-Membership in a gun club
-Membership in the National Association
-Get a register as a shooter, and that is:
Take a gun handling course
Get approval by the Federal Police
Get approval in a psychological test
Write a letter stating the reason for owning guns

As for the guns, they are split in "allowed" calibers and "restricted" calibers.
Allowed caliber guns can be bought and used by anyone that has went through all those things I wrote before, and are guns with a caliber not bigger than .38 or .380. OR airguns with a caliber larger than .25.
Anything bigger and/or automatics is restricted, and therefore you need a special license.

Yes, personal injury lawyers often work at no out of pocket cost to their clients. They work on condition of getting a large portion of any settlement or cash award that is granted upon winning. This is part of why lawyers are more dangerous than guns.

Ever tried a Boito shotgun? Supposedly, they are good...

The E.R. Amantino gear is what I was thinking of when I wrote that. They're not very good and tend to fall apart quickly.

Last edited:
The E.R. Amantino gear is what I was thinking of when I wrote that. They're not very good and tend to fall apart quickly.

And to think they have a reputation of being good.:lol:
Maybe that?s why we don?t make good shotguns: we think those are good enough!:p

And to think they have a reputation of being good.:lol:
Maybe that?s why we don?t make good shotguns: we think those are good enough!:p

Well, for starters, it would help if you made most of the bores (in the barrels) round, as opposed to ovoid. Centering them up helps a lot, too - I saw one that was cocked off to one side so that despite the fact that the bore was round, it was thicker on one side than the other and inverted on the other end. Hammers that don't break and firing pins that aren't made of recycled beer cans might be a nice thought, too. :D

A locking mechanism that works and stays working would be appreciated on the doubles (over/under or side-by-side shotguns). ERA shotguns are known to eventually stop locking, most commonly and humorously seen to have 'erectile dysfunction' right after shooting the thing - pull the trigger and the gun suddenly breaks open or 'droops'. Whoops.

^:lmao:
Wow. What a crapfest.

^:lmao:
Wow. What a crapfest.

Yup, hence my amazement and puzzlement that some truly great rifles and pistols come out of Brazil while at the same time apparently you guys couldn't make a shotgun to save your lives. Big time "WTF?!" situation.

IMHO, the best thing you can do with an ERA shotgun is to throw it at the enemy and hope 1) that you hit him and 2) that he's dumb enough to pick it up and try to use it. :p