The Gun thread

It's from an episode of Dexter. Here's some more of it:
NnNA1.png

r0hX2.png

YmObn.png

RfbdD.png

Worth mentioning the character was russian.

The second weapon is a Walther PPK, not a Mak. The first one is a Mak, and it's jammed. Cause of jam: Stupid propmaster. :p (or perhaps a clever one who was told by his director that 'those guns will be loaded, dammit!')

They are different guns. Look at the cuts at the front of the slide between the two. The one with the suppressor doesn't have the long cuts at the front of the slide like the first one does. The first one's a Makarov. It threw me off at first because I only was paying attention to the jam on the first one and somehow conflated it with the second set of pics. :p

The weapons look similar because the Mak is a descendant of the original Walther PP by means of the Soviets making off with all the old Walther gear and info for the 'Ultra' pistol the Nazis were developing - a PP in what is now 9mm Makarov.

Last edited:
It's the same gun in all pictures.

It's the same gun in all pictures.

I don't think so. I think it's *supposed* to be the same gun, but it isn't.

First gun:
ahxeN.png

Makarovs are usually distinguishable from the Walthers by the cuts at the front of the slide. The ejection port has come in several different lengths and is usually a good indicator as well, but not conclusive. Arrows point to the front and rear of the slide cuts.
makcomparo.jpg

But when you look at the second set of pictures, it doesn't look to have the same cuts. They look much shorter, less angular and more of an arc - more like a PP or PPK.

Rnr.81-Walther%20PP%20nr%20388612,385459%20Rechts.JPG

Complicating the matter is the fact that everyone in the Eastern Bloc and a whole bunch of people outside it have made Makarov or Walther PP/PPK/PPK-S clones; some combine elements of both, like this Hungarian AP-7:
standard.jpg

Of course, we could always ask the production company what it was.

That is definitely a Makarov hammer... The cuts on the slide are at an angle too.

Last edited:
Can't tell which way the slide serrations are for the second pistol because of the crap pictures. :p

I don't understand how this could be a cartridge, backwards or not, seen through the ejection port:

ahxeN.png

The slide is in battery, so there should be no way to see a cartridge, loaded correctly or not. It must be the barrel, surely? Maybe it's just colored strangely due to heat associated with firing blanks? Also, it doesn't even look remotely close to a 9x18 cartridge in terms of proportion.

Edit:

n_beh.JPG

You can see from this picture that, unless the gun (take note of where the battery-end of the barrel is in location to the trigger, and then compare to above) has been extensively modified (to the point it won't even fire by shaving off the battery-side of the barrel about a full inch!) that what you are seeing is the barrel and not a cartridge. The Mak is a blowback-only gun, so the barrel is fixed.

Last edited:
Those are from the 720p release.

So my friend works in construction, and he was tearing down a house and found this...

Photo on 2012-10-31 at 11.38 PM.jpg

Since I'm the only one in my friends group with a firearms license, he gave it to me.

Apparently it's a single barrel, 12 gauge shotgun. A C.S. Shattock. It's in working order other than the trigger mechanism and a cracked/partially missing stalk.

Anyone know anything about it? It's seemingly from sometime between 1885 and 1908. Is it worth fixing? Or should I just keep it as a mantle piece?

Just the C.S. Shattock logo on the butt of the gun. There's a number on the back of the chamber under the firing pin, but I can't really make it out. I think it might be 1121

It also says Hatfield MAS. under the logo, I'm assuming that's where it was made.

Okay, well, Shattock made a lot of single shot shotguns of this general type, they're not desirable and in working/intact condition they're worth less than $100 with most models of no peculiarity going for $25-50 these days. One reason why they're pretty much worthless is because (IIRC) *all* of their barrels are damascene and are ridiculously unsafe to fire with most modern 12 gauge ammunition.

The most common use of a Shattock of this general type is 'wall hanging' or 'decoration'. Preferably with the firing pin removed so that nobody can accidentally seriously injure themselves and anyone in a two meter radius sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Looks like it's getting the shelf then. Can't say I'm slightly disappointed, but hey, it's free and I really have no use for a single barrel, spit action shot gun.