The Gun thread

The Gun thread

One of the most loved (and best) Russian handguns, the TT (Tulskiy Tokarev) was heavily based on the 1911

I'll switch to PM before spectre introduces me to his AR for spamming this thread :p

Pffft it's an AR it will jam 10 times before it can fire a single round :p
To bring it back to topic I been drooling over a 1911 for a while now :(

Despite the fact that I now have that piston AR I can trust not to foul out and jam, I still prefer the old FAL over it for rifles.

IMG_3033.JPG

I have the rare Canadian folding sight coming for it, and that should complete the project. Still very usable as is. :D

One of the most loved (and best) Russian handguns, the TT (Tulskiy Tokarev) was heavily based on the 1911

Actually, it mixes parts from the 1903 with the short recoil tilting barrel system of the 1911. Unfortunately, they didn't also take the safety systems of the 1911 at the same time; the Soviet conscript troops issued the Tok often had the same accidental/negligent discharge problems that led to the development of the thumb safety and grip safety when the problem was noticed early in the development of what became the 1911 decades earlier.

One reason why the Springfield XD line has become so popular is that while they have the 'safety trigger' type design like a Glock, they also have that grip safety - which helps in case you have a bad brain day. :p

Most off the shelf custom 1911s are between 2500 and 3500, believe it or not.

The same rule applies to guns as it does to motorcycles: If it is off the shelf/showroom floor with a standard factory configuration, it's not custom. :p

So they just found a man who'd been fatally shot in a rental car... 300 yards from my house. And this is a pretty good neighborhood. Still, I guess now people will stop asking me why I want my LTC...

No, they won't. They'll just say something about 'well, why don't you let the police protect you' despite you telling them about this incident.

Last edited:
So, I have a live .45 round a guy gave me some 15 years ago.
I always kept it in a drawer but only recently I thought about the safety of having it tumbling around other stuff.
Am I safe?

Despite the fact that I now have that piston AR I can trust not to foul out and jam, I still prefer the old FAL over it for rifles.

IMG_3033.JPG

I have the rare Canadian folding sight coming for it, and that should complete the project. Still very usable as is. :D
That is one serious looking weapon.

Actually, it mixes parts from the 1903 with the short recoil tilting barrel system of the 1911. Unfortunately, they didn't also take the safety systems of the 1911 at the same time; the Soviet conscript troops issued the Tok often had the same accidental/negligent discharge problems that led to the development of the thumb safety and grip safety when the problem was noticed early in the development of what became the 1911 decades earlier.

One reason why the Springfield XD line has become so popular is that while they have the 'safety trigger' type design like a Glock, they also have that grip safety - which helps in case you have a bad brain day. :p
We all know that Russians never cared much about safety. I suspect part of the reason is that there was never such a thing as LTC in USSR for anything other than hunting/sport guns so assumption was that military guys don't need to worry much about safety.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I have a live .45 round a guy gave me some 15 years ago.
I always kept it in a drawer but only recently I thought about the safety of having it tumbling around other stuff.
Am I safe?

As Der Stig alreayd mentioned you should be fine, it takes a decent amount of force to get the primer to fire. You could pull the bullet out and pour the gunpowder out then put the bullet back in if you are really worried.

As Der Stig alreayd mentioned you should be fine, it takes a decent amount of force to get the primer to fire. You could pull the bullet out and pour the gunpowder out then put the bullet back in if you are really worried.

I thought about it, but it seems too much effort for a really slim chance of something going wrong.
Also, I don?t have the tools to do it.

Yeah, trying to pull the bullet without proper tools would be more dangerous than just letting it roll around in a drawer.

New Gander Mtn opened up here and going in to handle AR-15s (espcially like the SR556 from Ruger) is too tempting. Lucky I can no way afford a $1400+ rifle at this point, I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah, trying to pull the bullet without proper tools would be more dangerous than just letting it roll around in a drawer.

I was always under the impression that one could easily pull it out with bare hands, guess I was wrong.

No, bullets are crimped/pressed in in most cases.

Biggie, Gander Mountain is often at least a little overpriced.

No, bullets are crimped/pressed in in most cases.

Biggie, Gander Mountain is often at least a little overpriced.
Live and learn... never did get much bullet time :drums: aside from shooting in ranges.

Remembered a fun fact about the TT, at some point in the 90s it was the most popular gun for wet work because a bunch were released with no serial numbers so they were all 100% untraceable. Was literally a single use weapon, shoot some people, toss the gun right there as long as you are not stupid enough to have finger prints on it it's useless to the police.

Last edited:
That is the best thing I have read. Ever.

Combat day pack, good stuff, never had one fail to fire in a G3, and those were older :p

He's got three more left of those, I think I'll be picking those up next week. They'll go well with my pile of '95 Radway Green 75 round 'bandoliers' that the Brits used instead of battlepacks or CDPs. The other option (he was selling all this stuff at discount over the prevailing high ammo price) was a bunch of battlepacks of early 80s FNM (Portugal) 7.62 that was in the year range where people are discovering corrosion problems with the casings, some of which render the rounds unsafe to use. Thought I'd pass on those and grab the more likely pack instead.

Since you're 'here', a related question - the AM32 and related German plastic training ammo have been showing up in vast quantity extremely cheaply here in the US. It seems like an interesting option for indoor range function testing as well as being of possible use in three gun and similar sporting matches.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8699&dir=
http://www.guns.com/am-32-practice-762-ammo-6127.html

I have seen various reports of where the point of impact is vs (say) firing AB22 out of the same weapon. What's your experience as to where the POI moves at 100 meters?

Wish 7.62 didn't cost so much to feed these days. :p

Last edited:
Only shot the ?bungsmunition a couple of times on a "Waldkampfbahn", a squad assault forest combat range, at varying distances up to 150 meters. I was neither impressed by accuracy nor reliability, but that may very well be attributed to being tired and all gear being somewhat dirty after several days out in the field. In those conditions I would measure in hours of angle :lol:, nowhere good enough shooting to notice a POI shift.

I don't think they are intended or suitable for any kind of precision shooting. Short range, man sized targets, sure.

Yeah, I hadn't intended them for sharpshooting, but I just wanted to know if they'd at least get on the paper from 100, which is what I'd need for a three gun match. I've had some bad experience with plastic practice ammo in the past, most notably some ostensibly Swedish plastic 9mm that had, no kidding, 1 meter groupings at 5 meters.