The Gun thread

Wonder if they need IT people down in KY...
When they get electricity they'll let you know...

*rimshot

- - - Updated - - -

Huge gun auction just south of my house this weekend. Of course I'm broke. About 300 rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

Of course I want about all of them.

Slacker! :p

Kind of an eerie, but fascinating, read, though I have no clue as to its legitimacy.

It is a slightly different subject, but it reminds me of an article Rolling Stone ran two years ago about David Packouz and Efraim Diveroli, two guys who became big in the arms industry. Really great read into the international arms trade. It might have come up in this thread.

No idea if that specific site or operation is real, but international arms dealers who *would* do that sort of deal are real and have been around for forever. That's how the IRA got a lot of their weapons, for example. This is just them getting on the internet, I suspect.

Note that a lot of those weapons in that article are not available for legal civilian purchase anywhere at any price in the US and therefore cannot be coming from normal US civilian sales channels.

I would also point out that there is open trading on the internet on sanctioned (as in banned) gun parts (if not guns) between countries. You just have to Google it - on one of the forums I am on, members reported purchasing 8 round Russian magazines for Saiga 12s, which are technically illegal to import into the US, through open sellers in Russia. They turn up in unlabeled packages in the mail some weeks later. I never got any because by the time I got mine, other members on another forum were working on a legal US made 10 rounder and the 19 round drum - and the rest is history, as the plethora of legal US mags and drums for the S12 can witness. And yeah, it was illegal - with legal mags on the way at the time it wasn't worth the risk in the least for just three more rounds.

Note that it's illegal to import and use certain magazines, but you can use domestically made copies of them legally. Yes, it's a stupid law.

Kind of an eerie, but fascinating, read, though I have no clue as to its legitimacy.

It is a slightly different subject, but it reminds me of an article Rolling Stone ran two years ago about David Packouz and Efraim Diveroli, two guys who became big in the arms industry. Really great read into the international arms trade. It might have come up in this thread.

Except for more than a few factual errors and glossing over of illegalities. The AEY guys had complaints filed against them by more legitimate arms and ammo dealers because they were undercutting the competition by illegal conduct, not simply because they'd underbid everyone else. The latter happens in the business all the time - but the legit traders all know there's a price floor if you're doing everything legitimately and the only way you can get significantly below it is by breaking the rules.

It should also be mentioned that the AEY-supplied ammo was found to be quite defective and was *sold* to them as defective. It got more than a few Afghans and Iraqi police killed.

Last edited:
Except for more than a few factual errors and glossing over of illegalities. The AEY guys had complaints filed against them by more legitimate arms and ammo dealers because they were undercutting the competition by illegal conduct, not simply because they'd underbid everyone else. The latter happens in the business all the time - but the legit traders all know there's a price floor if you're doing everything legitimately and the only way you can get significantly below it is by breaking the rules.

It should also be mentioned that the AEY-supplied ammo was found to be quite defective and was *sold* to them as defective. It got more than a few Afghans and Iraqi police killed.

I don't remember in distinct detail, but I recall the article explicitly talking of the illegalities and the defective ammo, part of why it is such an interesting read.

I don't remember in distinct detail, but I recall the article explicitly talking of the illegalities and the defective ammo, part of why it is such an interesting read.

Yes, but the article doesn't go into the loving detail the rest of the article seems to be packed with when it comes to the charges. The trials net a couple paragraphs on the last page, that's all.

Further, it doesn't mention that more than a little of the ammo wasn't just defective in the "doesn't go bang when the trigger is pulled" variety. It was defective in the "rifle explodes when fired" variety. Seems they forgot to mention that little fact in the RS article - that they weren't just indirectly responsible for injuries and deaths (when the ammo failed to work) but they were directly responsible for injuries and deaths when their ammo exploded.

I remember reading that Gizmodo article maybe a year ago? I wouldn't be surprised if that (or something like that) was real, if there is a demand there will be a supply and internet access is a lot more mainstream these days than it was even 5 years ago.

I love that he is claiming he only wanted to show how easy it is to get one. So a law abiding citizen can easily acquire a product that is legally sold? THE OUTRAGE!!!! I especially love the "the check only took a few minutes" it's called a computer you fucking idiot.

Did you notice the part where he claimed it was so easy to get... Yet for *some* reason he doesn't actually have it in his possession yet?

I love that he is claiming he only wanted to show how easy it is to get one. So a law abiding citizen can easily acquire a product that is legally sold? THE OUTRAGE!!!! I especially love the "the check only took a few minutes" it's called a computer you fucking idiot.
Exactly all of this. In taxachusetts buying a firearm goes something like this: they give you registration/transfer forms to fill out, then check your license, call in the information, and by the time they walk to a computer that information is already filled in. 20 minutes tops. Can you imagine if you had to stand at the counter for six hours every time you wanted to buy a gun or some ammo? :lol:

Last edited:
How did I just find out about this thread?

This is a little collection shot I did for the gun thread on VW Vortex:

20130224125606293.jpg

- Spikes Tactical AR-15 in 5.56
- Glock 19 OD
- Glock 19 FDE
- Walther PPS 9mm OD
- Russian Makarov 9x18
- SOG Trident Tanto
- Microtech Troodon

And I just picked up this AK last week:

20130313213628880.jpg

It's a custom AK built on a 1982 Romanian NDS-3 receiver. All new internals and special finish wood furniture. I added a paracord sling and a different flash hider.. it will probably eventually get a top rail and an Eotech. I love AKs, so this one will be my little baby and get some modifications. It's smooth as silk and functions flawlessly.

I also have numerous shotguns and WWII era bolt action rifles (one 91/30, one 91/59, one Finnish M39 and an Enfield No 2 MKIV) but I didn't think they were interesting enough for pictures.

Looks like Ace/J&T/DoubleStar has joined in:

ACE Ltd. Online Store

Effective Immediately!!
Due to the recent changes in 2nd Amendment laws that are pending or currently enforced by states across the country, the J&T Family of Companies which includes J&T Distributing, DoubleStar Corp., Ace Limited, and the DoubleStar Training Academy has been forced to reassess our policies regarding government and law enforcement sales. Effective immediately, the J&T Family of Companies will be joining other manufacturers and distributors by ceasing sales of regulated items in states that have altered the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.
The JTFOC will no longer sell prohibited items to law enforcement agencies or any government agencies in states, counties, cities, and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their law abiding citizens. We hope other companies will join us with their support. We applaud those already involved with this effort to protect our 2nd Amendment rights.
Be Victorious

Just out of curiosity, do you need to plant a sticker on your car if you're carrying ammo, like when you're carrying other explosive or flammable materials (here tradeable for the emergency blinkers however you call them)?

Just out of curiosity, do you need to plant a sticker on your car if you're carrying ammo, like when you're carrying other explosive or flammable materials (here tradeable for the emergency blinkers however you call them)?

You don't need stickers for any of that on your personal vehicle. It's probably different for a commercial vehicle. I'm not aware of that.

Here you gotta signal that you're carrying dangerous stuff... if I remember the road code correctly. Explosive and flammable specially.
But alright, question answered hehe...

Last edited: