The Gun thread

I also have an extended mag that holds 20, but it is unreliable so I never use it.

Hi, I have 5 shots of .38 special.
I don't know what it is but I'm just not comfortable relying on a semi-auto... Every single one I have has jammed at one point or another. To me it's 15 shots that MAY fire versus 5 shots that WILL fire.

Point. But I guess that's why you roll a semi-auto as primary and a revolver as a backup? I know someone who does that - I used to laugh at it, but I kinda' see the point.

I dunno - if we get another Saiga AK, I wonder if I can do a build to make it as bare bones and collapsible, so that I can potentially stuff it into one of my oversized fashionable bags to "carry." :lol:

Where's the idiot and guns thread? /headsthere

I would just get a standard underfolder, you can stuff one of those with a 20 round mag into a tennis racket case.

I really want the overpriced SUB2000 for that.

Hi, I have 5 shots of .38 special.
I don't know what it is but I'm just not comfortable relying on a semi-auto... Every single one I have has jammed at one point or another. To me it's 15 shots that MAY fire versus 5 shots that WILL fire.

Hate to tell you, but even revolvers can fail to feed, fail to fire, stick and jam. One of the things the 1911 had to do when it was going through trials prior to adoption was prove that it was at least as reliable as the Smith and Wesson .38s and Colt Army .45s it was replacing. It obviously did so.

- - - Updated - - -

Point. But I guess that's why you roll a semi-auto as primary and a revolver as a backup? I know someone who does that - I used to laugh at it, but I kinda' see the point.

I dunno - if we get another Saiga AK, I wonder if I can do a build to make it as bare bones and collapsible, so that I can potentially stuff it into one of my oversized fashionable bags to "carry." :lol:

Where's the idiot and guns thread? /headsthere

May I introduce you to the AK 'pistol' idea?

(Yes, they're firing single shots, not full auto.) You can't legally put a stock on them, but they will fit in some of the larger women's bags I've seen. You don't have to get stuck with a Century built one either.

[video=youtube;uuIWupfoI-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIWupfoI-k[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

I really want the overpriced SUB2000 for that.

Don't forget the SU-16 folding carbines.

Of course, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing - and here it is, a FAL 'pistol' firing the full house .308 Winchester/7.62x51 NATO round! Enormous muzzle flash with these things and a 30% reduction in muzzle energy over the SAAMI reference value.

(Civilians can only purchase the semi-auto version, full auto variant is for sale to militaries and .gov only.)

Last edited:
You can legally put a stock on an AK pistol, but that requires you to pay a 200 dollar tax to the Feds and some states do not allow NFA items to be carried around.

You can legally put a stock on an AK pistol, but that requires you to pay a 200 dollar tax to the Feds and some states do not allow NFA items to be carried around.

Well, technically if you do that then it's not a pistol any more but a short-barrel rifle (which as you say, means the full NFA regulation, tax stamp, etc.) The idiot SBR rules were why 'pistols' like this were created, which is both ironic and funny. BATFE is *still* steaming mad about rifle-caliber pistols.

Fortunately, my state doesn't care. If you legally own an NFA item, you can carry it - and with rifles and shotguns (however short barrel they may be) you don't need a carry permit. I know a guy that hip carries a Serbu Shorty which gets a whole lot of attention from out-of-staters.

Last edited:
I keep hearing rumors about 1911s not feeding hollow points well. I know my 1911 has failed to feed FMJ more than once, while all ofy revolvers have gone bang every single time without exception.

That's a function of the feed ramp. If your 1911 (indeed, any semiauto) won't feed ball/FMJ, something is very very wrong.

It should also be pointed out that if a semiauto fails it is quite often possible to clear the malfunction without tools and continue on. If a revolver malfunctions, you now have a bludgeon or club because you can't fix anything without a screwdriver. Also, two words - 'bent crane'. Five more - 'bent or missing ejector rod'.

Don't get me wrong - revolvers have their place. But to pretend they will never malfunction or always go bang no matter what is not something borne out by reality.

Last edited:
Hmmm, AK "pistol"? Must.do.more.research... *keys clattering*

That's a function of the feed ramp. If your 1911 (indeed, any semiauto) won't feed ball/FMJ, something is very very wrong.
I think the factory magazines are to blame. Ran some rounds through a Chip McCormick mag today with zero issues. Waiting on a Wilson mag too.

In other news, I shot a Glock for the first time today and I just don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a good gun but I didn't find any reason to back up the fanboyism.

That aside, anyone here have any experience with the M&P Shield and/or Ruger LC9? I'm entertaining the idea of a pocket 9mm.

Likely possible but quite difficult. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I can't hit the broad side of a barn from inside with my .38 LCR because it kicks quite a bit, hence the search for something heavier yet still small enough to pocket carry. Not opposed to a .380 although I didn't really like the LCP I tried.

This is for sale locally for, apparently, $25k. It comes with a rifle too, but that's not what bumps the value up so high.

IMG_20140614_113126_411_zps5111f9dc.jpg

I've never heard of it until now but it's quite an interesting and rare item. +rep to anyone who knows what it is.

Derp, I missed the lined paper for scale. tired eyes. and brain. I knew what the Pedersen device was too, I've just never seen one not installed in the rifle!

I spent like 10 minutes wikipedia'ing aircraft cannons too, dammit lol

Doesn't look like anyone wants to play the guessing game :(

It's a Pedersen device, essentially used to transform the bolt-action Springfield M1903 into a semi-auto.

tumblr_m5orirSPTm1rwjpnyo1_r1_500.jpg

m1903_mk_i_with_pedersen_installed_note_angled_mag.jpg

I wanted to play, but I don't know enough about firearms :p
Interesting device.

Is holding a revolver with the support hand thumb forward that bad of an idea? I tried it recently and my accuracy improved but my worry is that if I'm not careful I might place my thumb too far forward and expose it to the gasses between the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone.