The Gun thread

Not reloading, but still damn fast

BRB, I'm gonna go practice my reloads now.

Actually, it doesn't take a lot of practice to get competent - to the point where you're not fumbling with the pistol and magazine, that the whole process is second nature and goes smoothly. It can take a lifetime to get anywhere near as fast as the top IPSC/IPDA/etc., competitors - if you ever can.

One tip - rack the slide instead of tabbing the slide release. Unless you have a race gun or something with an extended slide release it will be more reliable of a finish to the sequence, in addition to being the manufacturer recommended procedure. The people who use pistols out on the sharp end note that hitting the slide release is a fine motor movement and is more likely to fail/be flubbed under stress by most people while racking the slide is a gross motor movement that is easier to complete under stress. This holds true under competitive sport shooting like three-gun as well - until you become used to the stress of reloading under time pressure, use gross motor movements over fine wherever possible.

Last edited:
Huh, interesting. I usually tab the slide release, but recently, I was also corrected because racking the slide is less wear on the firearm (apparently?). In any case, I definitely need more practice. ;)

I can't view the image, but I do like a P229.

Still no AR15 for me, I wasn't fast enough to catch the Christmas sales w/ PSA when fun money was intact. And by the time it was, they went out of stock again, so I'm back to checking them daily.

Some of those sales went on for a few days despite the 24 hour disclaimer. Did you sign up for their mailing list?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, FYI:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/14434/
http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/10446/
http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/15072/

Love the 229. Sadly prohibited in Canada unless you replace the barrel for a longer one.

Not all that odd, just rare in the US. All the SAR4800s that Springfield sold were made by Imbel in Brazil. The 5.56 version of the SAR4800 is actually the Brazilian MD-3; it's a successful attempt to leverage their experience with license manufacture of the FAL into something that can run 5.56. Aside from the adapted magazine well, the biggest change is from the FAL's tilt-bolt to a more conventional rotating bolt. Apparently Imbel's made a lot of the MD rifle series for domestic use though they've not had much luck with export sales. It worked out better than the FN CAL, anyway.

I think I would still prefer the DT.

I assure you that it isn't vaporware. DT is here in my town and I shoot with one of their employees. The rifle is a very ambitious build and they are doing everything they can to do it right; would you rather they ship a half-assed product?

Speaking of half-assing it, Kimber announced they are doing a wheel gun. So far the response from shooters has been less than enthusiastic given Kimber's recent quality problems. For $900, I simply can't see it competing in the marketplace. Now when Smith and Wesson and Ruger both make a similar product for the same money (or less) and have not had the same quality issues as Kimber.

It just seems like this would have been good to bring out 10 years ago, before most shooters realized that Kimber is long on hype and short on substance.

I assure you that it isn't vaporware. DT is here in my town and I shoot with one of their employees. The rifle is a very ambitious build and they are doing everything they can to do it right; would you rather they ship a half-assed product?

How about they get something ready to go before making the announcement and two years of promises?

Speaking of half-assing it, Kimber announced they are doing a wheel gun. So far the response from shooters has been less than enthusiastic given Kimber's recent quality problems. For $900, I simply can't see it competing in the marketplace. Now when Smith and Wesson and Ruger both make a similar product for the same money (or less) and have not had the same quality issues as Kimber.

It just seems like this would have been good to bring out 10 years ago, before most shooters realized that Kimber is long on hype and short on substance.

Yeah, that thing's going to be eaten alive by Taurus and to a lesser degree Ruger in the marketplace.

I don't really see the Kimber competing with... anyone. At that price point most people will simply get a Smith, despite its own spotty quality, and personally I'd save money and go with Ruger all day every day. There are Kimber fanboys in the 1911 world though so maybe they'll pick up the wheel gun.