The Gun thread

I have not heard that, but then we already have a .22 Henry (just not a Golden Boy). I bought it for Kiki several years ago and it has never had a problem. I also have a .44 Mag Big Boy which has also run flawlessly, although it sometimes gets a bit picky about ammo, some rounds don't like to feed because they were designed for a revolver and not a lever action. It will eat most ammo though, even the soft lead I've been running through it recently.

Aha, thanks. I've also got a Mossberg 590A1 on my list too. We'll see how 2016 pans out.

I have a Glock 20 on my list for 2016. Because 10mm :D

Mmmm...yes. I almost bought a 20SF model, but had to have the .357 Sig P229. If you haven't handled the SF model, I think most folks with semi-normal size hands (I wear large in most gloves and have long fingers) will prefer it.

So I'm about to pull the trigger on buying my first gun (no pun intended). I've been watching one online for a while and the price is excellent. Called one local FFL, and they said that they won't transfer an online purchase for something they carry themselves. Makes sense, but their price is about $200 more than the online price I found.... soooo, chances I'm going to buy it at that store are 0. The next FFL I called said that they don't do transfers for online sales period, regardless of its something they carry or not. So now I'm trying to get hold of a 3rd place. They're listed as a preferred dealer on the site I want to buy from so presumably there shouldn't be any problem. I've been calling them for 3 days now, and haven't been able to get through. When I press the sales dept extension, I get put on hold, after 5 seconds, the system prompts me that all associates are busy and if I want to leave a message I can press 1. 5 seconds after that, it sends me to voicemail anyways. Left them a voicemail, but never heard back.

Guess I probably need to find another local FFL now.

So I'm about to pull the trigger on buying my first gun (no pun intended). I've been watching one online for a while and the price is excellent. Called one local FFL, and they said that they won't transfer an online purchase for something they carry themselves. Makes sense, but their price is about $200 more than the online price I found.... soooo, chances I'm going to buy it at that store are 0. The next FFL I called said that they don't do transfers for online sales period, regardless of its something they carry or not. So now I'm trying to get hold of a 3rd place. They're listed as a preferred dealer on the site I want to buy from so presumably there shouldn't be any problem. I've been calling them for 3 days now, and haven't been able to get through. When I press the sales dept extension, I get put on hold, after 5 seconds, the system prompts me that all associates are busy and if I want to leave a message I can press 1. 5 seconds after that, it sends me to voicemail anyways. Left them a voicemail, but never heard back.

Guess I probably need to find another local FFL now.

Try looking here...
http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/SearchForFFL.aspx?st=Zip Code&sv=48207

Yay, CDNN!

Shame about your troubles with FFLs. We have one here that does 'em for $15. :D

I found a few that will do it for $20, but the "business" name is just some guy, and on streetview the adress returns a regular house in a residential subdivision. Really want to stay away from those if I can help it. For example:

Last edited:
That's what a lot of these guys are. Just google their names to see if they're reputable. I'd trust an FFL guy as much as some stores, more so even.

Interesting. I just figured that it was shady as fuck and something I wanted to avoid. I'll need to look into some of these guys.

No, they have to meet the same requirements as every other FFL. There are storefront FFLs that are shadier than 'kitchen table' FFLs.

After the FFLs I used to use died, retired, moved or disappeared, I had to find a new one. I found my current one on the gunbroker list and he operates out of a tiny little office in an industrial park. Well recommended, even so, and he does transfers for $15. He's the one I pointed DS to. :D

Last edited:
I thought one of the requirements for an FFL (aside from type 3) is to have a storefront?

Nope. The Feds did try making that a requirement during the Clinton Administration (the big 93-95 FFL Purge) but it got shot down in court as the 'home office' had become common in society. The only catch is that you have to be zoned mixed use as you are doing it 'as a business' and BATFE won't issue your non-C&R FFL if you don't meet zoning laws or local business permits, etc. You must also have a good, well secured area for shipments and receiving as well as industrial quality safes or security cages.

I *think* MA has a stupid state requirement that FFLs must have storefronts. Rather silly, one of only three (again, IIRC) that do.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it - yup, "must have a storefront" is a MA state law.

Edit: Corrected myself above. More info on the Clinton FFL purge here: https://johnjacobh.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/where-are-they-now-the-missing-ffls/

Last edited:
Ah, that explains why I thought it was required - it friggin' is here! :rolleyes:

Well, you live in the Peepulz Republik Of Massholes. :p

That reminds me - I need to put my C&R to good use. I think I want a P64 but that means adding a new caliber to the pile :hmm: Maybe a Star then!

Which Stars that aren't crap are on the C&R list now?

Model B :D Not nearly reliable enough for me to carry but definitely cool.

Oh, and don't be rude - the proper title is Commiewealth of Taxachusetts :tease:

I was being polite. I didn't call it Communist Massholetopia. :p

I purchased my Mosin Nagant from an FFL a guy ran out of his house. All the paperwork was the same, the NICS check, everything. He showed us his FFL and ran NICS with his license number.

It was just a guy who had a hobby that got to the point he could make money, so he did what was legally required and got his FFL.

That's what a lot of these guys are. Just google their names to see if they're reputable. I'd trust an FFL guy as much as some stores, more so even.

No, they have to meet the same requirements as every other FFL. There are storefront FFLs that are shadier than 'kitchen table' FFLs.

After the FFLs I used to use died, retired, moved or disappeared, I had to find a new one. I found my current one on the gunbroker list and he operates out of a tiny little office in an industrial park. Well recommended, even so, and he does transfers for $15. He's the one I pointed DS to. :D

I purchased my Mosin Nagant from an FFL a guy ran out of his house. All the paperwork was the same, the NICS check, everything. He showed us his FFL and ran NICS with his license number.

It was just a guy who had a hobby that got to the point he could make money, so he did what was legally required and got his FFL.

Decided to go this route. Just ordered. Will report back when I pick it up.