The Gun thread

LeVeL;n3545551 said:
So about those calibers... I'm probably most curious about .460 Rowland and 9x25 Dillon.

The .460 fascinates me. Dunno why... but I like oddball stuff as you know. ;) I'm not familiar with 9x25 Dillon so I get to research it. :D

I haven't even shot my Evo yet, and I already ordered some stuff for it...
​​​​​​
Yeti Wurks Switchback Grip and HBI Reduced Weight Trigger Spring Kit :D

Spectre;n2874629 said:
Remington will not be leaving NY - the US government just gave them an $80 mil contract over 10 years and apparently one of the conditions is that they stay in NY. We'll see how well that works out for Remington when they start losing civvie sales.

So, about that... https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/8/remington-taking-steps-toward-bankruptcy-filing-re/

[h=1]U.S. gun maker Remington reportedly taking steps toward bankruptcy filing[/h]

One of the biggest U.S. gun manufacturers is taking steps toward filing for bankruptcy, according to Reuters news service.

Remington Outdoor Company Inc. has “reached out to banks and credit investment funds in search of financing that will allow it to file for bankruptcy,” Reuters reported Thursday evening, citing “people familiar with the matter.”

According to those sources, the debt-ridden company missed a payment on those obligations this week and is seeking “debtor-in-possession financing” that would let the company continue operations once it went bankrupt.

More at the link.

Wow, that sucks...

Remington has needed this for a long time, they haven't been relevant for quite a while. I was recently reloading with some of their 5.56 projectiles and was having a bitch of a time getting my OAL right. I finally put the calipers on the bare projectiles, not only was there a ton of variation in the size of the projectile, but the crimp band on the copper was incredibly inconsistent. Just lining up the projectiles you could see the size and stamping variations from one to the next - and all came out of the same package.

JCE;n3545746 said:
Wow, that sucks...

The disaster that's been the R51 launch, recall, second launch and second recall hasn't helped - they're now offering R51 owners R1911s as replacement pistols and not even pretending that they're going to be able to fix the R51. If they had wanted R1911s they would have bought one, so understandably R51 owners are steamed.

Remington was and to some degree still is very much a Fudd-catering company. Worse, it was *old* Fudds they were catering to - to the point where they were very late to or completely ignored these markets:

Polymer service pistols
Polymer carry pistols
Actual carry pistols of any kind
Modern sporting rifles of all kinds
Modern defensive or combat shotguns
Modern low cost CNC bolt guns (some of which are a fraction of the 700's cost but equal or exceed the 700's performance)

They were so caught up with their precious high dollar (but slowly dropping quality) Fudd-focused bolt rifles that the market passed them by and their much belated attempts to catch up, much like Colt’s (though for different reasons), fell far, far short - and were too little too late - so they find themselves in their current position. Irrelevant, with a sometimes-crap product line that most of the active part of the market doesn't want to buy and an existing customer base that's retiring/dying/simply not buying anything any more.

Last edited:
Spectre;n3545785 said:
The disaster that's been the R51 launch, recall, second launch and second recall hasn't helped - they're now offering R51 owners R1911s as replacement pistols and not even pretending that they're going to be able to fix the R51. If they had wanted R1911s they would have bought one, so understandably R51 owners are steamed.
Remington's 1911 is also junk, as is their customer service.

Spectre;n3545785 said:

Remington was and to some degree still is very much a Fudd-catering company. Worse, it was *old* Fudds they were catering to - to the point where they were very late to or completely ignored these markets:

Polymer service pistols
Polymer carry pistols
Actual carry pistols of any kind
Modern sporting rifles of all kinds
Modern defensive or combat shotguns
Modern low cost CNC bolt guns (some of which are a fraction of the 700's cost but equal or exceed the 700's performance)

They were so caught up with their precious high dollar (but slowly dropping quality) Fudd-focused bolt rifles that the market passed them by and their much belated attempts to catch up, much like Colt’s (though for different reasons), fell far, far short - and were too little too late - so they find themselves in their current position. Irrelevant, with a sometimes-crap product line that most of the active part of the market doesn't want to buy and an existing customer base that's retiring/dying/simply not buying anything any more.

Those (accurate) points aside, still sucks to see such a historic name wasting away for what ever reason. :(

They've been the poster child for why Freedom Group sucks. They haven't even called themselves a firearm company for years and have been slapping their name on cheap outdoor "lifestyle" products.

Went to the range today and shot the Scorpion for the first time. It is awesome :D

Except of course for the 5 round mag limit :cry:

The safety lever didn't bother me, but it did bother a friend i had invited. It will be interesting to see if the Yeti Wurks grip help.

I also went to the range. My brother bought the CZ-75 B Omega Tactical I've been wanting for the last year.

It is everything I hoped it could be. At $600 it shoots and feels like guns going for twice that. The trigger is glassy smooth in SA and DA, the grip is fantastic, the action out of the box feels like it has been through finishing at a pro shop.

It is probably the best shooter you can get in the $600-$1,200 price range. If Kiki wasn't in love with the FN, I would have it listed for sale before the end of the day to fund buying the Omega.

Last edited:
I too went to the range this weekend. Tested out my latest acquisition that's likely to become a dedicated home defense gun:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"513","width":"576","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/l\/le\/level\/2018\/02\/11\/Screenshot_2018-02-11-13-02-41_01.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Problem with shooting different calibers:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"355","width":"332","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/l\/le\/level\/2018\/02\/11\/Screenshot_2018-02-11-13-03-33_01.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Telescopic ammunition. While most of us are stuck in 2018, LeVeL is already living in 2028 :lol:

I need to sell some shit I don't need/want like my video games. The Zastava I've been wanting has had another surplus shipment to the US recently. I also need to make more money, because, mll surp hobby,.

Oh and that's a nifty light you got there LeVeL.

Better handgun storage solutions?

My all steel surplus pistols are nice and lubricated/cleaned and such but I noticed my handgun cases with the eggcrate foam are absorbing the oil from the frames where in contact which concerns me with corrosion if they sit too long. They don't get used often so I need to figure out a better storage solution.

Thoughts?

Definitely don't store guns in those foam-packaged containers. The best solution is, of course, a big heavy fireproof safe bolted to the floor/wall(s). Cheap solutions include small safes for general valuables from, say, Home Depot, or maybe a simple Stack-On cabinet (not very secure but will keep kids out). Throw some dessicant packs in there or, better yet, a Golden Rod to keep the humidity down.

LeVeL;n3546292 said:
Definitely don't store guns in those foam-packaged containers. The best solution is, of course, a big heavy fireproof safe bolted to the floor/wall(s). Cheap solutions include small safes for general valuables from, say, Home Depot, or maybe a simple Stack-On cabinet (not very secure but will keep kids out). Throw some dessicant packs in there or, better yet, a Golden Rod to keep the humidity down.

The large-ass safe is on the list, but need more funds. I think I like that stack-on cabinet as a temporary solution which can then double as a sort of ammo storage for my extra boxes. I can have that hidden pretty easily until I get the large safe. Appreciate the ideas!

I am thinking about buying a cheap AR15. Any opinion about the PSA Freedom 15 10.5 ?