The Gun thread

Spectre;n3555429 said:
In other news, it seems Desert Tech sadly has a ways to go to get their MDR to not suck in terms of ammo sensitivity.

Desert Tech have reacted to this video:

Karl Kassarda said:
Update on the Desert Tech MDR:

We had an excellent conversation with the CEO and others at Desert Tech today, discussing the issues we experienced and all of the things we tried to do to mitigate those issues with gas settings and different ammunition options.

They told us they are committed to resolving these issues not only in our rifle, but ensuring that the production rifles will not experience these issues either.

We're shipping ours back so they can work with it specifically, but I just wanted our audience to hear this information and we await further results.

Additionally they did state they will still be sending us the 5.56 MDR configuration, so that's still in the plans as well.

Kudos to Desert Tech for standing up and being respectful towards us and our work for the audience.

More to come...
~Karl

Now this is how a company should react to issues like this.

Nice, but you didn't consider the new Sig P365?
I have Sig P365 as my concealed carry gun. In fact, I really find very useful in terms of performance and quality. We all know that Sig Sauer got its name by reputation. So I did a quick research about this and I found this: https://gunnewsdaily.com/sig-sauer-p365-review/. You can use this as your reference. And let me know your thoughts.

Now this is how a company should react to issues like this.

Yup, that's a good (if awkward) way to react in the internet era. Especially when he all but asked if anyone had suggestions about the extractor.

However, his comments about ammo testing and compatibility... While he does have a point about not wanting to test against every 7.62 NATO offering out there, he should at least be testing against ammo from the primary NATO nations known to produce quality ammo. Germany, Britain, *maybe* Portugal and certainly Austrian if you can find it - don't really need to do more to ensure that your rifle will work with most all to-spec 7.62 NATO ammo. My FAL doesn't have problems eating any of those and there's no good reason the MDR should either. Not cycling Indonesian, Malaysian, etc., sure, he has a point - but actual first quality, first-world mil-spec ammo? No, that rifle should at least function with them even if it's not at its most accurate.

A more glaring issue is that they didn't develop/test the gun against the most popular commercial 7.62 NATO/.308 Win ammo sold in the US today - Winchester White Box. Seriously, how did this not happen when it is literally available over the counter at most non-gunhating-state Walmarts?

Last edited:
I think people’s expectations were very high for the MDR and I’m glad to see that they’re reacting. A good amount of shooters run nasty steel case Tula and I’m surprised that they didn’t test on that either.

But, once they’ve had it on the market for a year or so, I bet it’ll be dialed in.

I have Sig P365 as my concealed carry gun. In fact, I really find very useful in terms of performance and quality. We all know that Sig Sauer got its name by reputation. So I did a quick research about this and I found this: https://gunnewsdaily.com/sig-sauer-p365-review/. You can use this as your reference. And let me know your thoughts.

I was just at a shop this weekend and the guy behind the counter was trying to sell me on the P365.

Nope, not trusting my life to one of these when my Ruger LC9s does the same job and is more reliable while costing less. The Sig, with a very well documented history of failures, runs about $500 with $599 being the MSRP. My LC9s is more like $300 and I know Ruger will support it until the sun burns out. Hell, I would carry a Kahr CM9 before the Sig P365.

I was just at a shop this weekend and the guy behind the counter was trying to sell me on the P365.

Nope, not trusting my life to one of these when my Ruger LC9s does the same job and is more reliable while costing less. The Sig, with a very well documented history of failures, runs about $500 with $599 being the MSRP. My LC9s is more like $300 and I know Ruger will support it until the sun burns out. Hell, I would carry a Kahr CM9 before the Sig P365.

Having finally spoken to some of the Dallas police officers that found the big ugly problem with the P320 not being drop safe and the P365 being based on the P320, I am completely uninterested in the P365. The 365 has a fire control group based on the 320, supposedly 'fixed' - but given Sig's recent QC and design issues I am not at all convinced they've fixed the problem. Let someone else be the guinea pig.

Last edited:
Just get a Bersa Thunder, it's the same gun and much cheaper.

But how will I live out my fantasy of being James Bond then

Actually the Bersa was a product-improved variant. There are issues in the original PPK series that the Bersa (and others) fix. You are basically paying for the Walther name - especially since the US made ones historically were considerably inferior quality compared to the German ones. The pre-Unification German production ones were even better.

But how will I live out my fantasy of being James Bond then

For that matter, the Makarov is a PPK development. And a lot cheaper. And have been used as screen doubles in any number of film productions.

All good suggestions. But in the end I've told myself no dumb big purchases while I'm saving up for a sizable down payment for a house. And that includes guns and dumb project cars. So yeah, as tempting as any of those would be, house first. For the time being I'll just be happy with my AR, PPX and PPS.

In the time the forum has been offline, I've been on 2 dumbs that I'm glad I didn't win. Also bid on a pair of handguns (single lot comprised of an IWI Jericho 941 and a Desert Eagle) on Rock Island that I'm actually kinda bummed I didn't win.

So my LGS is selling brand new Walther P99s for 299.99 plus tax and BGC... The only catch is that they're in .40. Should I or shouldn't I?

What he said.

I bought an LE trade USP .40 beacuse it was cheap. Now I have a USP in .40 and .45 lol.

My excuse was that I didn’t have a pistol in .40 and I wanted to have pistols in all the common police calibers. I also ended doing some work to it, namely updating the firing pin and installing a match trigger kit. I intended to run it in competition, but other commitments got in the way.

TL;DR don’t buy it