The Gun thread

Anyone have a source for AK stuff in Russia? I'd like to get a few more Bakelite mags, but I don't want to pay current US prices.

Anyone have a source for AK stuff in Russia? I'd like to get a few more Bakelite mags, but I don't want to pay current US prices.

Check around on the forums at saiga-12.com, there's some Russians and people with Russian connections hanging about who can help.

I added a vertical foregrip to the Scorpion. I will try to go shoot it tonight or Monday.

DSC_9669_lzn1600435b44432f77cd36.jpg

Called it a day at 1330 at work today, and went to the range.

I put 100 rounds through the Scorpion, and it does seem to be more controllable than before, so the combination of the new muzzle brake and the vertical foregrip works.

Also put 60 rounds of 556 through my AR, semi-rapid fire (10 rounds at a time, yay magazine restrictions), and the new CAGE device (a brake shield) seems to do its work, I got less blast to the face than before.

The screws holding the shield did work themselves loose, and the CAGE moved back above the barrel. Better than moving forward toward the muzzle, and I was lucky not to lose the small piece that holds the whole thing in place.

Shorter range session than usual (and no pistol this time around) , but it had been a while and I really wanted to try the latest changes I had installed.

Now I hope to register for the next black badge course in September.

The BATFE has reversed themselves on the semi-auto AA-12 shotguns. They initially ruled that the new semi-auto-only AA-12s were fully legal semi-autos, but have now decided that they are in reality illegal machineguns. The ATF is therefore confiscating them.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/aa12-atf-confiscation/

AA12-problems-with-ATF.jpg

AA12-ATF-confiscation-2.jpg

Interesting discrepancies in the demand letters that the BATFE is sending out. They're saying it's a machine gun when they're just semi-auto as best anyone has been able to show. The worst part is that the people that bought these will not be compensated for the ATF's taking - and IIRC these were anything but cheap.

Last edited:
First, this should be in the political section.

Second, the article you link says:

Additional information regarding your opportunity to file a civil claim for this firearm will be provided.

Obviously, this is not a guarantee that there will be just compensation, but there is a process.

First, this should be in the political section.

Disagree. I didn’t comment at all on why this was happening and none of these have been used in a crime to date so it’s not something on that order. This is just firearms news.

Second, the article you link says:

Obviously, this is not a guarantee that there will be just compensation, but there is a process.

The ATF has never, that I am aware of, compensated for mass takings like this. They flat out refused to compensate bumpstock owners, even though those had a ‘process’ too - so now there’s lawsuits against ATF for just that reason wending their way through the court system.

The ATF also denied the civil compensation claims in the past in similar cases. When they changed their mind on the USAS-12 (they called it a ‘destructive device’ instead and regulated it very similarly,) I don’t recall any compensation being given. Likewise the various Street Sweeper type shotguns in 12 gauge. You could try to register them as DDs, but if you didn’t want to, couldn’t afford it or just couldn’t do it per the laws of your state, they just took the firearm and told you ‘tough luck.’

Now if you want to discuss why they are doing this, the reasons behind the change of status - sure, that’s gun politics. But IMHO, just gun news like this is not.

Last edited:
Did Century assemble any Israeli heavy barrel kits? I found one built on an Imbel receiver marked R1A1 Sporter and I'm not sure if Century built it or someone stripped down an R1A1 for the receiver.

Also, is a first gen Glock worth buying as an investment?

Last edited:
Did Century assemble any Israeli heavy barrel kits? I found one built on an Imbel receiver marked R1A1 Sporter and I'm not sure if Century built it or someone stripped down an R1A1 for the receiver.

Not sure on the first question. No Century markings on the receiver?

Re: the Glock, apparently yes if it comes with everything and is in good shape.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832547406

Not sure on the first question. No Century markings on the receiver?

Re: the Glock, apparently yes if it comes with everything and is in good shape.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832547406

It's marked R1A1 Sporter Receiver made by IMBEL Brazil Imported by CAI. The lower is the correct Hebrew marked one for an Israeli FAL, so at least it's not a Franken FAL.

I have no idea what condition the Glock is in, as it's at a pawn shop that's a 2 hour drive away from me, but they're asking $380, so I guess I'll have to go look.

No, Century didn't build any Israeli HB FALs as best I recall. However, their Imbel receivers were sold separately for a while and Imbel is pretty much the default for people wanting a good quality receiver to base a build upon. People could buy a receiver from the Angry Drunken Monkey Gun Assembly Firm and then build whatever they want on them which makes it really irritating when someone lists a "Century R1A1" ad because you have to carefully study the attached pictures to know whether to pursue the purchase. I'm currently looking for a non-DSA ParaFAL at current, so I'm looking at all kinds of ads. Also, fuck DSA with a rusty sharp edged spoon.

As for the Glock - I think it's a big maybe. If you want it as a collectable, well, the market seems to indicate that they are, with one caveat. You will need to contact Glock to see if it's been back for the "upgrades" the Gen 1 was subject to (read: non-recall recalls). If it has, Glock collectors won't touch it because it's no longer original and the value will be 'average Glock.' If you like Glocks, it would still make a good shooter if you get it at a decent price. If it hasn't been back to Glock and inspection shows that it hasn't been "upgraded", then it's collectable and you shouldn't shoot it. Not just because firing it reduces the collector value but because there were safety issues that the "upgrades" addressed and you don't want to encounter them while firing.

I hadn't found that one, but I think you are correct in assuming it's going to be expensive. I don't want one that badly. I may end up getting a regular metric FAL and a conversion kit instead.
That may still be worth keeping an eye on, that website has a much smaller reach compared to GunBroker, and thus, lower hammer prices.

Here are some AKs I had in my watch list over there... I think 460 before the buyer's premium isn't a bad deal for a MAK-90 nowadays.
Mo2y1s1.png

And sometimes you get people who shouldn't be writing auction descriptions for firearms... Last time I checked, FN never made a 1911, and barring considerable gunsmith sorcery, it isn't a .45 either.
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...ale-D-armes-De-Querre/lotInformation/50090460

As well as stuff that has been declared contraband by the Alphabet Boys...
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...-MAK-90-Sporter-Rifle/lotInformation/50009511

And sometimes you get people who shouldn't be writing auction descriptions for firearms... Last time I checked, FN never made a 1911, and barring considerable gunsmith sorcery, it isn't a .45 either.
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...ale-D-armes-De-Querre/lotInformation/50090460

As well as stuff that has been declared contraband by the Alphabet Boys...
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...-MAK-90-Sporter-Rifle/lotInformation/50009511

Nope, that last one has the naughty hole/rivet and I expect the lucky bidder to be getting a visit from the BATFE not terribly long after they get their firearm - assuming the BATFE doesn't go say hello to the seller before the end of the sale.

And no, whoever was running that first auction needs to not be involved with firearms. It is an intriguing example of the High Power though - I don't recall any black factory engraved ones made in any quantity so it may be a custom order or someone may have had it done aftermarket. Looks very nice.

Your post reminded me I hadn't swept my local resources today; upon review, I noticed a non-DSA ParaFAL had been recently posted for sale. Good price, possibly not made of failure and shame, going to see how/if this will work out.