The Gun thread

that's a nice vacation...

or did they mean january 2nd, 2019?

Hah, didn't notice that. Might be worth emailing after all.

A few weeks ago I finally did my black badge course, a prerequisite to start competing in IPSC in Canada.

My main reason to do it was to be allowed to practice from the holster at the range, but when we shot a mini match on the last day I was hooked.

Last Friday I shot my first competition, and it was a blast. My main goal was to avoid disqualification, but as the match progressed, I tried actually going fast.

In the end, I ranked 21 out of 38 shooters in my division. Not bad for a first timer. The Canadian champion was also there, he won our division, and my final score was 25% of his.

Monday nights are IPSC practice at our club, so I went yesterday for the first time. Turns out nobody else did, so I had the whole range to myself :D

Really looking forward to the next match, I'll be officially ranked if I complete it without being DQ'd.

Yes it is! I tried it last year and placed dead last haha. Spent a lot of time practicing and got back into it at the end of the summer. Did loads better. Dry fire practice FTW.
Dry fire is great but you really need to have solid fundamentals so you're not practicing the wrong thing. My first match was probably 4yrs ago - I have video of some of the states and I was laughably bad. Two years later I won two state championships. Now I don't have time to shoot matches, sadly.

I've neglected my Shadow 2 since my last match, omitting to clean it. I have actually shot 700 rounds with no cleaning, just a light oiling somewhere in the middle.

Today I remedied the situation, and took the occasion to snap a picture with something better than a potato cam.

DSC_9675_21550123bb97e4574f8b.jpg

Last edited:
Last Friday I shot my first competition, and it was a blast. My main goal was to avoid disqualification, but as the match progressed, I tried actually going fast.

In the end, I ranked 21 out of 38 shooters in my division. Not bad for a first timer. The Canadian champion was also there, he won our division, and my final score was 25% of his.

Friday I shot my second match, and since I completed it without being DQ'd, I'm now officially a classified IPSC member :dance:

I had gone to the practice on Monday, and found that my precision on small targets at long range was not up to par, and improved on it a bit with coaching from some of the people present.

At Friday's match, I went pretty slow, but the result was a much improved hit percentage compared to my first match. I ended up with only 1 miss and 1 non scoring miss, 77 A, 17 C, and 1 D.

This netted me 18th place out of 38, at 49% of the score of the division winner, once again the Canadian champion Alexandre Berdat.

I'm also first among the 10 unclassified shooters (shooters who have not completed their first 2 match without DQ) in my division.

I'm already registered for the biggest match of the year at my club, happening at the end of January. I'll also try to do the normal match at the end of December.

Managed to acquire another STG58... This one is built on a DSA receiver, but it's a DSA receiver that doesn't suck. I also bought an Enfield in .22, I'm not sure which version it is, but it's built off of a No4 receiver and has a Parker Hale rear sight.

Very nice, but make sure you have a qualified (and preferably FAL-experienced) smith check headspace and locking shoulder wear on it. DSA is notorious for shipping rifles that were just barely in spec to begin with and that one shows signs of being fired a lot with an oddly low ejection (below the port itself) pattern that I generally associate with the not-greatest DSA assembly jobs. While it's not unheard of to see a competently assembled, to spec FAL with that pattern of brass kisses, in my experience DSAs tend to do it way more than any other and it tends to be an indicator that further examination is warranted in a new-to-you rifle, just to make sure there's nothing wrong. The more common patterns are straight back behind (and not directly below any part of the ejection port cut) the ejection port or straight back and up at up to a 45 degree or so angle.

Last edited:
And the plot thickens...

I emailed DSA and they say it left the factory as a stripped receiver in December of 1998. They also say it went to a dealer here in Florida, but they didn't say who.

And the plot thickens...

I emailed DSA and they say it left the factory as a stripped receiver in December of 1998. They also say it went to a dealer here in Florida, but they didn't say who.

That’s actually a good thing, but still get it checked by a gunsmith.

New SP5? Don't forget to replace the "K" rear sight by the proper diopter sight.

The correct rear sight arrives in 2 days :D

Got a bunch of mags earlier this week and will be eagerly awaiting the ATF to process my permission slip so I can put a stock on it.

Just put 150 rounds through it. Shoots nice and smooth. It's not horrible with the bungie sling, but still is awkward. It needs a brace at least.