The Gun thread

Hahahaha, I wasn't aware those are available as kits.
Sounds like a fun project.

Recent changes in Canadian firearms classification means 3 of my firearms are now prohibited, and while I'm allowed to keep them during a 2 year amnesty period, I'm not allowed to take them anywhere.

So what do I do with the scope and bipod from my AR-10, and the 1000+ round of .308 and 7.62x51 I have around?

The sunk cost fallacy says I should buy a new rifle for it:

Stock photo:
img_266587f73294582b648b.jpg

What it will look like with my Atlas bipod and Vortex scope:
5fc355a6859ac98a150dbcf.jpg

Ironic I'm spending my tax return to buy more firearms in response to new backdoor firearm laws.

it took me waaaaay to long to realise that's a flint-style gun! :shock:

what a beaty!
i'm surprised you are allowed to hunt with such old hardware

There's a dedicated hunting season for bow and arrow, then there's a muzzleloader season, then you can bring a modern rifle.

it took me waaaaay to long to realise that's a flint-style gun! :shock:

what a beaty!
i'm surprised you are allowed to hunt with such old hardware

It's fired by percussion cap. Flintlock is another monster all together. I don't have any desire to go that direction.
The hardware itself isn't old -- manufactured in 2018, in fact. The basic design, of course, is old, but the components are made of modern materials. Modern steel makes a huge difference in barrel accuracy, durability, and safety.

As Blind said, here in Utah there are separate deer hunting seasons for bow & arrow, muzzleloaders, and general rifle.

I'll try to take some pictures of the process. I've been working on it, getting parts fitted, but nothing really exciting to look at yet.

It's here! 13.8 lbs with bipod, optic and an empty mag.

DSC_9938_lzna1c4ceae9b6ef068.jpg

DSC_9935_lznc375db365b5e16cb.jpg

Now I just need to zero it, and find a place to stretch its legs.

Muzzleloader update-- It's looking like a gun now. I have all the parts fitted to the stock now. It took quite a bit of time with blacking, removing a little wood, blacking again, removing more wood, ad nauseum until each part fit properly. It was a bit tedious, but I found the work enjoyable.

Now there is a ton of work to do with removing the excess wood and shaping the stock, then finishing everything.

Some pics of the whole gun, minus just a couple things, and some close-ups of the main parts that needed to be fitted.

rgiSpny.jpg

WIxwypE.jpg

ujYkQZX.jpg

A3O5vxe.jpg

I do like a nice simple Sig.

I guess I should post an update on the muzzleloader...if I remember later. I got it finished enough to take hunting, though I have more to do on it.

Been spending most of my range time with my 22 CZ455, but this past weekend, I exercised the PTR91 out to 600 yards with the milsurp scope @thomas brought for me years ago.

Been getting decent groupings at about 25 yards while shooting from a bag while prone with the CZ.

1606407816977.jpeg

The last time I shot my PTR91 past 100 yards was when I took a big hog down with a friend a few years back. Also managed to get fairly consistent hits at 200 yards with the CZ hehe.

1606407456837.jpeg

Been spending most of my range time with my 22 CZ455, but this past weekend, I exercised the PTR91 out to 600 yards with the milsurp scope @thomas brought for me years ago.

Been getting decent groupings at about 25 yards while shooting from a bag while prone with the CZ.

What ammo does yours like? Though it has been decent with the few things I've tried so far, I haven't found a great combination yet.
I do absolutely love my CZ455 with .22 WMR though and it's awesome with .17 HMR too.

I wish I had a 22 WMR given the current ammo shortage. I can actually find that stuff!

CCI standard velocity 40 grain is what I have run through it almost exclusively and can't think of any complaints.
I'll have to try some standard velocity. CCI Mini Mag will group decently but nothing spectacular.

With last year's Canadian gun ban, my Scorpion has become prohibited, so I cannot take it to the range anymore.

So I decided I might as well re-use the Voxtex Sparc-2 red-dot on a gun I can still take shooting...

IMG_20210108_154844__01__01a36897f9c1862e2d.jpg