The Homologation Thread

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
A thread to celebrate the most bonkers, beautiful, and bat-shit crazy beasts built for the street but intended for the track: The Homologation Special. You can love them for any reason, styling, wins, technology, or just because they are insanity on wheels that you could have actually purchased if you had the money.

---

Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution. By homologation standards, this one is common as dirt with 2,500 built. It competed in the T2 class (stock production cars) at the Paris-Dakar and won overall in 1998. I love the boxy widebody wheel arches that flow into the front bumper, it's like it can't decide if it's late 80s or late 90s - por que no los dos?

Pajero Evolution.jpg

Ferrari 288 GTO. I had a 1:18 die cast model of this as a kid and I've loved it ever since. Intended to race in Group B, it never got a chance to see a green flag before the series was cancelled. I love the looks of this car, from the headlights that pop up and ones mounded just above the chin spoiler, to the funky wing mirrors on disproportionately tall stalks. Some say it's not the best looking Ferrari; for me, it's right up there with the other famous homologation GTO, the 250.

Ferrari-288-GTO-1600x1067.jpg

The Dauer 962

Dauer-962-1024x736.jpg

What do you do if you have a Group C car but Group C is dying? Massage it a little bit, make a couple of them for the road and enter it as a GT1 car of course!

Apparently 13 were made and the roadgoing ones were more powerful than the racing ones because they didn't have to comply with regulations.

Okay, the Group C was awesome, but it somehow became too mainstream. The GT1 class somehow slips under the radar of most people, or they tend to just forget it, intentionally or not. The fact that most people either don't know about it, or don't care about it (any more), makes it even cooler to me. Even if people tend to intentionally forget it, because of some failures it brought along.

The GT1 class was already established in 1994, but it wasn't until 1997 that it was picked up by FIA. That led to more manufacturer involvment, so the glorious Lotus Elise GT1 was born. And that is a very awesome car, however, only one was ever built for the street. So I'm posting the Porsche 911 GT1, the black sheep amongst 911s, mainly because it's the only mid-engined car to ever bear the 911 moniker, but also because it was the first ever water-cooled 911, and because the only thing it actually had in common with the 'common' 993, the 911 that was current when it was released, was the lights.

I know, it's not a 911, because it was purpose-built for the GT1 class, but at the same time, it is, because it is named so. But it isn't, because the rear frame was derived from the 962, but the front part of the chassis was derived from the 993, so it is a 911... Regardless of whether you consider it a 911 or not, it was probably the most iconic GT1 class car.

e9fadc96-e324-4b1d-a3a8-e453bbdfb5b6.jpg

Here's the earliest, 993-styled version, made to please the German compliance tests (which it did), of which two were ever made: one for the aforementioned compliance test, and the other one for a private car collector from Bahrain.

1998-Porsche-911-GT1-Strassenversion-Amelia-Island-Auction-1.jpg

And here is the more iconic, 996-faced Straßenversion car, based upon the first revision of the race car, the 911 GT1 Evo. This is actually the 'missing' link between the also homologation derived 959, and the Carrera GT, which had no racing counterpart whatsoever. 20 of these were made, so it could be considered somewhat of a production car, unlike the 993-faced car, which really just paved the ground for this one.

1998_Porsche_911GT198Straenversion5.jpg

There is also a third version, based on the 911 GT1-98, a second revision of the 911 GT1 race car, but only one was ever made, and that one is even more bonkers, as it's wider, more aerodynamic, and even less of a 911. However, it was perhaps a little too aerodynamic, as the racing version actually managed to do a backflip at Petit Le Mans in Road Atlanta in 1998, being the first of three cases of German racing cars backflipping in endurance races in three consecutive years.

I have a feeling people (unfairly) keep forgetting about this car, but I just love it. Well, apart from the last revision. It's a mish-mash of different road and race going Porsches, and it proved to be somewhat successful at racing (nevermind the backflipping second revision). And the way I found out about the 911 GT1 was through some mods for a racing simulator game that is also forgotten about by most people (GTR2). Oh, and there's the fact it just looks cool to my eyes.

My favorite, the Audio Sport Quattro:
1589390604072.png

This one needs a video too, because it's one of my favorite engine noises this side of a 4-rotor Wankel:

1589391478027.png

Ah yes, another rally car. That looks like a pissed off Ferrari and I love it, even if it has just 200ish horsepower.

Next up: the French twins.
The Renault Turbo 5 and the Peugeot 205 Turbo 16.
1589391207437.png

1589391267186.png

Because what's better than taking a FWD hatchback and putting a turbo engine in the middle? Doing it twice!

Yeah, I am not very creative. I just like rally cars, I guess. :D

Okay, the Group C was awesome, but it somehow became too mainstream. The GT1 class somehow slips under the radar of most people, or they tend to just forget it, intentionally or not. The fact that most people either don't know about it, or don't care about it (any more), makes it even cooler to me. Even if people tend to intentionally forget it, because of some failures it brought along.

The GT1 class was already established in 1994, but it wasn't until 1997 that it was picked up by FIA. That led to more manufacturer involvment, so the glorious Lotus Elise GT1 was born. And that is a very awesome car, however, only one was ever built for the street. So I'm posting the Porsche 911 GT1, the black sheep amongst 911s, mainly because it's the only mid-engined car to ever bear the 911 moniker, but also because it was the first ever water-cooled 911, and because the only thing it actually had in common with the 'common' 993, the 911 that was current when it was released, was the lights.

I know, it's not a 911, because it was purpose-built for the GT1 class, but at the same time, it is, because it is named so. But it isn't, because the rear frame was derived from the 962, but the front part of the chassis was derived from the 993, so it is a 911... Regardless of whether you consider it a 911 or not, it was probably the most iconic GT1 class car.

e9fadc96-e324-4b1d-a3a8-e453bbdfb5b6.jpg

Here's the earliest, 993-styled version, made to please the German compliance tests (which it did), of which two were ever made: one for the aforementioned compliance test, and the other one for a private car collector from Bahrain.

1998-Porsche-911-GT1-Strassenversion-Amelia-Island-Auction-1.jpg

And here is the more iconic, 996-faced Straßenversion car, based upon the first revision of the race car, the 911 GT1 Evo. This is actually the 'missing' link between the also homologation derived 959, and the Carrera GT, which had no racing counterpart whatsoever. 20 of these were made, so it could be considered somewhat of a production car, unlike the 993-faced car, which really just paved the ground for this one.

1998_Porsche_911GT198Straenversion5.jpg

There is also a third version, based on the 911 GT1-98, a second revision of the 911 GT1 race car, but only one was ever made, and that one is even more bonkers, as it's wider, more aerodynamic, and even less of a 911. However, it was perhaps a little too aerodynamic, as the racing version actually managed to do a backflip at Petit Le Mans in Road Atlanta in 1998, being the first of three cases of German racing cars backflipping in endurance races in three consecutive years.

I have a feeling people (unfairly) keep forgetting about this car, but I just love it. Well, apart from the last revision. It's a mish-mash of different road and race going Porsches, and it proved to be somewhat successful at racing (nevermind the backflipping second revision). And the way I found out about the 911 GT1 was through some mods for a racing simulator game that is also forgotten about by most people (GTR2). Oh, and there's the fact it just looks cool to my eyes.

I actually got to see them race (along with the Mercedes CLK GTR, Panoz Esperante GT1, and other cars that ran in the GT1 class, but no Mclaren F1s) when I was 9 or so.

Edit: Found some video footage of the race I went to.

Last edited:
I love this thread already.

And I have to mention the quite recent Toyota GR Yaris, because it's such a welcome surprise in this day and age that Toyota of all companies decided to stuff a rally-grade AWD system into a city car and bring the tiny 3-cylinder engine up to 190 kW.

gr_yaris_hh_tcm-17-1838368.jpg

Of course, the old rally stuff from the 80s is still a lot cooler. :D

How about some NASCAR aero specials?

Good styling does not mean good aerodynamics. Turns out the inset grill, recessed back window and shorter noses were not good at 200mph. So we got the uglier but more stable specials like the Torino Talladega.

i-9NKqwhq.jpg

The most famous of them all though has to the the Mopar winged avengers, the 69 Charger Daytona and the 70 Plymouth Superbird.

i-5mhXGG5-XL.jpg

Honda RC30

HondaVFR750R.jpg

Or my favorite, the RC45

Honda-RC45-10.jpg

Homologation bike for WSBK, and the engine was basically the basis for the amazing 990cc V5 Honda used to dominate MotoGP.
DANG! Nice choices!
I meant to post a motorcycle but I forgot!
The one that sparked my passion for motorcycles:
916 SPS Fogarty Replica
1589408394358.png

Is the 2008 Desmosedici RR just a road-going replica or a homologation special? Because who doesn't love a V4 making more cvs than it has kgs?
1589407582866.png

So angry.
Anyway, a nice one from the nostalgia era:
1989 Yamaha FZR750R OW01
1589408076163.png

And its younger sister, the 1999 Yamaha YZR-R7 or OW02.
I always loved the fact that it looked like a slighlty smaller First-gen R1
1589408178725.png

DANG! Nice choices!
I meant to post a motorcycle but I forgot!
The one that sparked my passion for motorcycles:
916 SPS Fogarty Replica
View attachment 3557575

DNU7A9ng.jpg

Is the 2008 Desmosedici RR just a road-going replica or a homologation special? Because who doesn't love a V4 making more cvs than it has kgs?
View attachment 3557572
So angry.

That's the opposite of an homologation special, by rules the MotoGP need to be prototypes.

Ducati was able to sell the Desmosedici RR without breaking that rule because it was based on the 990cc bike, but introduced when MotoGP switched to 800cc.

DNU7A9ng.jpg

That's the opposite of an homologation special, by rules the MotoGP need to be prototypes.

Ducati was able to sell the Desmosedici RR without breaking that rule because it was based on the 990cc bike, but introduced when MotoGP switched to 800cc.

Ah, indeed. I forgot that part about MotoGP needing to be a prototype. It's technically not a homologation special, but in practice I feel like it is, in the sense that they took a racer and tamed it enough to be road legal, but I digress.

I think it fits with the spirit of the thread. The Desmosedici would never have been possible without a change to the rules in GP regarding engine size, it is essentially homologation special.

Can't believe no one has posted the greatest rally car of all time!
I did.
The Audi Sport Quattro. :p
No one posted yet the second greatest rally car of all time: the Lancia Stratos HF Stradale!

1589423954493.png

1589424086270.png

1589424128084.png

Pop-up headlights? Check.
RWD? Check.
V6? Check.
Round taillights? Check.
Louvers? Check.

How about some NASCAR aero specials?

Good styling does not mean good aerodynamics. Turns out the inset grill, recessed back window and shorter noses were not good at 200mph. So we got the uglier but more stable specials like the Torino Talladega.

i-9NKqwhq.jpg

The most famous of them all though has to the the Mopar winged avengers, the 69 Charger Daytona and the 70 Plymouth Superbird.

i-5mhXGG5-XL.jpg

To continue your NASCAR theme a bit.

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Aerocoupe

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-monte-carlo17.htm

1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2

http://artiesrestorations.com/86pontiac_grandprix_2plus2.html

While these both are trying to do the same thing, one is clearly better than the other. ;)

Then there is the Bill Thomas Cheetah. Made for one model year in an attempt to get homolgated for racing against the Shelby Cobra.

https://silodrome.com/bill-thomas-cheetah-gt/

You all got it wrong (apart from the Charger Daytona/Superbird).

1589463174689.png

Infinitely more humble than the cars from Peugeot/Renault/Audi/Lancia as those were actually designed where this is just a metro with stuff slapped on, a beast in its own right but also great because the engine went on to power the legendary Jaguar XJ220.

The modified TWR XJ220S was itself a homoligation car.

1589463419885.png

Edit: Ooh, don't forget the Lister Storm, a car that always reminds me of Gran Turismo and has the tail lights from an Audi 80.

1589469176195.png

Last edited: